Quantcast

Why do UK hardtails have monostays??

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Man, the brits are making some very sweet, long travel hardtails. But what is up with the monostays?? Are they stronger? Don't see how they could be by putting all the stress on the weld.

I know dekerf and bonty had em but still..

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
without doubt I can say that is one of the best hardtails you could ever own!! I have one and it is absolutely incredible! does everything you could want a hardtail to do! super comfy ride on long spins, takes a beating going downhill!!

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
without doubt I can say that is one of the best hardtails you could ever own!! I have one and it is absolutely incredible! does everything you could want a hardtail to do! super comfy ride on long spins, takes a beating going downhill!!
Good to hear cause I have a ti version with a pike 454 coil on the way to replace my surly instigator.

I just don't understand the whole monostay thing tho. It looks weak to me with all that sheer stress on the welds.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I just don't understand the whole monostay thing tho. It looks weak to me with all that sheer stress on the welds.
Monostays are solid. It's just a different way of doing things. Some argue that it is stiffer and lighter, though you won't really notice on a smaller bike. It's definitly stiffer on large road bike though.