Quantcast

why do video edits have interviews so quiet compared to music?

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Just watched the dirtTV edit of the EWS round in Colorado http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/DirtTV-EWS-Colorado-Recap,22249/iceman2058,94 and it made me especially frustrated. The interview sections were really informative and about a quarter the volume of the music they put into the riding sections. This seems to be a norm with edits and it has always driven me nuts, this vid was just worse as it was longer so far more noticeable. Is this some standard when making an edit, like a 'best practice' sort or thing or a side effect of uploading? Either way, I wish the volume could be normalized. Like when we used to watch television programs with commercials and the commercials would be twice as loud as the program. You guys remember when we used to watch T.V. on a T.V. and it had commercials? Gotta love progress...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
short answer: editor laziness

Long answer: ambient sound from a remote mic (probably just camera integrated with a lot of those clips) imports into editing programs at nowhere near the base volume of a straight mp3 or other format music file. It's literally just the native 'loudness' of each kind of audio file.

It's insanely easy to fix but no one does.
Drives me fuggin nuts.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
You might find it's an encoding thing. If they've recorded it with a 5.1 soundtrack and you're watching it on 2.1 setup, then I think the centre channel isn't always accurately represented. Depends on a few factors.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Maybe we should all write our congressmen (if in the states) and or rise up and be vocal in comments on edits as this seriously can ruin an otherwise good little video.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
or maybe Orpheus productions might stumble on this thread and maybe realize people notice this and don't appreciate it... and make the required changes. It always drove me nuts too, I wind up watching videos with my fingers on the volume control all the time. No biggie, but it would be great if they addressed the issue.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Was my only gripe with F1rst. I had to constantly turn up the volume to hear barely legible interviews then slam it down when the music blared back in. Guess this is the same ol'.