Quantcast

Why do we ('murica) hate our food and our bodies?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Went grocery shopping Sunday, and one of the items on the list was peanut butter. I'm a billionaire, and I have a tendency towards Barnum-esque gullibility and witchcraft, so I buy the store brand "organic" crunchy stuff. As I am reaching of the jar on the shelf, I notice the label reads something about "no stir" and "made with 90% peanuts." Now, I have to wonder what the other 10% is, why that stuff kills the need to stir, and how it qualifies as organic, so I flip the label around. It turns out there is salt, sugar, and palm oil. Based on some internet research, it looks like those oils are often hydrogenated trans-fat type things. How lazy and self loathing are we that we (meaning people who buy this stuff, not inclusive of me, so it should probably be "them") that we need to load up peanut butter with this junk just so we don't have to stir it, and how delusional are we that some "organic" labeling makes this all fine and natural?

FYI, I bought the stuff that needs to be stirred, which was in a nearly identically labeled jar next to the bucket of death I nearly grabbed.

I get things like Doritos and Oreos, which are clearly for slow suicide but taste delicious, and I have a weak spot for artificial sweeteners that come in pink paper an make coffee as tasty as it is cancerous, but why we gotta mess with peanut butter?

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Wait, is there a connection between what we put in our bodies and our health and well being?

I didn't think so. It doesn't matter what we eat! It's all the same once we chew it up.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Having Gout, I have to read every label of all foods I eat. It's amazing how much non-food ingredients are in processed foods. Mostly unpronounceable chemical compounds and some form of corn syrup.

My favorite cereal growing up, Lucky Charms, contains Tri Sodium Phosphide. It's sold at hardware and paint stores as deck cleaner. I use it to make soldering flux.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm a big fan of the peanut grinder machine in my local supermarket. I'm under the impression that there are no sketchy ingredients besides peanuts... No stirring since it doesn't have time to separate, and after a few months of eating it, the natural flavor is enough (but adding a bit of salt to peanut butter toast is still soooo good).

Went grocery shopping Sunday, and one of the items on the list was peanut butter. I'm a billionaire, and I have a tendency towards Barnum-esque gullibility and witchcraft, so I buy the store brand "organic" crunchy stuff. As I am reaching of the jar on the shelf, I notice the label reads something about "no stir" and "made with 90% peanuts." Now, I have to wonder what the other 10% is, why that stuff kills the need to stir, and how it qualifies as organic, so I flip the label around. It turns out there is salt, sugar, and palm oil. Based on some internet research, it looks like those oils are often hydrogenated trans-fat type things. How lazy and self loathing are we that we (meaning people who buy this stuff, not inclusive of me, so it should probably be "them") that we need to load up peanut butter with this junk just so we don't have to stir it, and how delusional are we that some "organic" labeling makes this all fine and natural?

FYI, I bought the stuff that needs to be stirred, which was in a nearly identically labeled jar next to the bucket of death I nearly grabbed.

I get things like Doritos and Oreos, which are clearly for slow suicide but taste delicious, and I have a weak spot for artificial sweeteners that come in pink paper an make coffee as tasty as it is cancerous, but why we gotta mess with peanut butter?
There's some ironic tension between the title of this topic and your predilection towards being hung from hooks...

Because peanut butter made out of just peanuts is actually pretty shitty.

YMMV.
Not...

I'm a big fan of the peanut grinder machine in my local supermarket. I'm under the impression that there are no sketchy ingredients besides peanuts... No stirring since it doesn't have time to separate, and after a few months of eating it, the natural flavor is enough (but adding a bit of salt to peanut butter toast is still soooo good).
The stuff we get varies considerably in consistency, The last few tubs have had a high oil to solids ratio, making for leaky sandwiches.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Having Gout, I have to read every label of all foods I eat. It's amazing how much non-food ingredients are in processed foods. Mostly unpronounceable chemical compounds and some form of corn syrup.

My favorite cereal growing up, Lucky Charms, contains Tri Sodium Phosphide. It's sold at hardware and paint stores as deck cleaner. I use it to make soldering flux.

Trisodium phosphate is an inorganic chemical, just like other scary sounding chemicals you will find in your food like Sodium Chloride and dihydrogenoxide.

Just because a chemical sounds scary, and is used in inedible products, does not mean it is bad for you. Trisodium phosphate is basic and used to control the PH of foods to enhance longevity. It is all about concentration. Like lye, in pure form it is very powerful. Lye has been used with food for centuries and in low concentrations is perfectly safe, it gets neutralized by the HCL in your stomach and turns into salt water.

Phosphates are an important part of your metabolic cycle and some endurance athletes actually take trisodium phosphate as a performance enhancing supplement.

However, the hydrogenated trans fats that can be found in no stir peanut butter has been found to be very bad for cardiovascular health. It has been banned by the FDA and will be phased out over the next few years.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ZOMG! Cookies have sodium chloride AND sodium bicarbonate in them. Inedible! :panic:
They use sodium bicarbonate to blast paint from metal. Sodium bicarbonate is also the active ingredient is some roach poisons.
POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON!
:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:
:panic: :panic:
:panic:
:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Trisodium phosphate is an inorganic chemical, just like other scary sounding chemicals you will find in your food like Sodium Chloride and dihydrogenoxide.

Just because a chemical sounds scary, and is used in inedible products, does not mean it is bad for you. Trisodium phosphate is basic and used to control the PH of foods to enhance longevity. It is all about concentration. Like lye, in pure form it is very powerful. Lye has been used with food for centuries and in low concentrations is perfectly safe, it gets neutralized by the HCL in your stomach and turns into salt water.

Phosphates are an important part of your metabolic cycle and some endurance athletes actually take trisodium phosphate as a performance enhancing supplement.

However, the hydrogenated trans fats that can be found in no stir peanut butter has been found to be very bad for cardiovascular health. It has been banned by the FDA and will be phased out over the next few years.
i've seen this point being made against various food blogs before. one of the best quotes i've read along these lines:

"just because you can't read above a third grade level doesn't mean a chemical is unsafe or doesn't belong in food. good luck removing nicotinamide from an apple."

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i've seen this point being made against various food blogs before. one of the best quotes i've read along these lines:

"just because you can't read above a third grade level doesn't mean a chemical is unsafe or doesn't belong in food. good luck removing nicotinamide from an apple."
Rice contains arsenic.
Cashews contain urushoil (the shit in poison ivy)
Almonds contain cyanide

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just a little advice, don't buy anything from the frozen-foods isle. This is where a great majority of preserved additive-rich food is. If you need vegetables, buy them fresh. If you want pasta and sauce, make it. If you want junk food, well, you're going to die anyway, so use it in moderation, but I never shop along those isles just because those foods are usually loaded with sodium and other stuff to preserve them, and when they are loaded with sodium, they load them with sugar to balance out with the sodium. The end result is a mind blowing WTF when you look at the label, with no good reason for that many calories and additives, except of course to stay on the shelf longer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just a little advice, don't buy anything from the frozen-foods isle
flash-frozen fresh vegetables are OK. they have little, if any, additives.

frozen PREPARED foods are the killers. so much salt, so much crap.

one of the big things i look at these days is sodium content.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
flash-frozen fresh vegetables are OK. they have little, if any, additives.

frozen PREPARED foods are the killers. so much salt, so much crap.

one of the big things i look at these days is sodium content.
Back when I was riding >10 hours a week I sweated out so much salt that I would get bad headaches if I didn't add a bunch of salt to my food. Not so much anymore, but I still really like salty food.

Salt on pizza :drool:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Back when I was riding >10 hours a week I sweated out so much salt that I would get bad headaches if I didn't add a bunch of salt to my food. Not so much anymore, but I still really like salty food.

Salt on pizza :drool:
yea you need salt, but these days it so easy to get your daily requirements. also need to keep your potassium balanced too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
They use sodium bicarbonate to blast paint from metal. Sodium bicarbonate is also the active ingredient is some roach poisons.
POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON!
:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:
:panic: :panic:
:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:
Did you know that some people put acetic acid directly on their salads? ACETIC ACID! IT'S ACID!!!

Did you know that brussel sprouts and broccoli are LOADED with arsenic?!? ARSENIC!! :panic:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I think the thing that is really strange is trying to figure out who in the market is going there for the organic peanut butter and then sees the no stir organic with the additives and processing and decides that's what they want instead. I'd expect the organic shoppers would be label readers and turned off by such things.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think the thing that is really strange is trying to figure out who in the market is going there for the organic peanut butter and then sees the no stir organic with the additives and processing and decides that's what they want instead. I'd expect the organic shoppers would be label readers and turned off by such things.
Or they are wearing their finest wool scarf to the grocery store, along with their boat shoes and don't mind spending an extra few dollars for the same poop-in-a-jar that everyone else purchases.

Beyond this, I find it interesting and a little disturbing when waiting to check out at the grocery store. There is always someone in line with a cart filled with pop, frozen stuff, 6 bags of chips etc etc. How are you not fat? And why am I fat??!?! I literally eat spinach and vegetable salads with some chicken every day for lunch and dinner. I don't eat bread and rarely eat junk. Fuck you skinny fucks. I pretty much poop fruit and spinach.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Organic food shoppers are there to display their activewear and immerse themselves in the community of smugness.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
No - most organic sheepers are fucking morons.