Quantcast

Why do we ('murica) hate our food and our bodies?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Went grocery shopping Sunday, and one of the items on the list was peanut butter. I'm a billionaire, and I have a tendency towards Barnum-esque gullibility and witchcraft, so I buy the store brand "organic" crunchy stuff. As I am reaching of the jar on the shelf, I notice the label reads something about "no stir" and "made with 90% peanuts." Now, I have to wonder what the other 10% is, why that stuff kills the need to stir, and how it qualifies as organic, so I flip the label around. It turns out there is salt, sugar, and palm oil. Based on some internet research, it looks like those oils are often hydrogenated trans-fat type things. How lazy and self loathing are we that we (meaning people who buy this stuff, not inclusive of me, so it should probably be "them") that we need to load up peanut butter with this junk just so we don't have to stir it, and how delusional are we that some "organic" labeling makes this all fine and natural?

FYI, I bought the stuff that needs to be stirred, which was in a nearly identically labeled jar next to the bucket of death I nearly grabbed.

I get things like Doritos and Oreos, which are clearly for slow suicide but taste delicious, and I have a weak spot for artificial sweeteners that come in pink paper an make coffee as tasty as it is cancerous, but why we gotta mess with peanut butter?
I think organic is only good for the enviroment & hasnt really been proved to be healthier. If that is still the case. Most dumb ass americans are being dupped into spending $$$$ for smothething they dont really understand.

oh....and Chemtrails. Blame the chemtrails.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON! POISON!
We've been finding little green worms in the produce we've been getting in our weekly CSA haul. I told the wife that I think I prefer my produce chemically grown with lots of pesticides, because WORMS, man!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think organic is only good for the enviroment & hasnt really been proved to be healthier. If that is still the case. Most dumb ass americans are being dupped into spending $$$$ for smothething they dont really understand.

oh....and Chemtrails. Blame the chemtrails.
Organic has been proven to be less productive on a per acre basis, so it isn't as environmentally friendly as significantly more farm land is required to produce the same amount of food. Mass fertilization and pesticides certainly are not good, but there is probably an optimization point between the two.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Organic has been proven to be less productive on a per acre basis, so it isn't as environmentally friendly as significantly more farm land is required to produce the same amount of food. Mass fertilization and pesticides certainly are not good, but there is probably an optimization point between the two.
So the yoga pant-wearing hotties at Whole Foods are dumber than I thought!

That is OK though...I still love them.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pepperoni pineapple jalapeño

Only the best pizza combo known in the universe.
I'd give you a hard time about that combo, but from my experience the pizza in your neck of the woods is bad enough that you really need to do what you can to cover up the soggy cardboard and ketchup flavor.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'd give you a hard time about that combo, but from my experience the pizza in your neck of the woods is bad enough that you really need to do what you can to cover up the soggy cardboard and ketchup flavor.
I have never been so disappointed in a pizza eating experience, as I was in DC. The contempt in their voices as I asked for my combo was obvious, no pineapple to be found...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Trisodium phosphate is an inorganic chemical, just like other scary sounding chemicals you will find in your food like Sodium Chloride and dihydrogenoxide.

Just because a chemical sounds scary, and is used in inedible products, does not mean it is bad for you. Trisodium phosphate is basic and used to control the PH of foods to enhance longevity. It is all about concentration. Like lye, in pure form it is very powerful. Lye has been used with food for centuries and in low concentrations is perfectly safe, it gets neutralized by the HCL in your stomach and turns into salt water.

Phosphates are an important part of your metabolic cycle and some endurance athletes actually take trisodium phosphate as a performance enhancing supplement.

However, the hydrogenated trans fats that can be found in no stir peanut butter has been found to be very bad for cardiovascular health. It has been banned by the FDA and will be phased out over the next few years.
Thank you Syadasti.

I've only seen TSP in one food product. Just thought it was rather suspicious to find a chemical I use to make flux in food.

I'm not a fan of processed foods, additives (inorganic or not), or preservatives.

The FDA allows so many parts per million of rodent fecal matter in hot dogs. But you know, it's all about concentration.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
I happen to love food. My own body though, I find it disgusting. Too utilitarian, farts and craps and such. If only there was - I dunno - a certain something.

A Love Toilet, ahh wat-ev's.