Quantcast

Why do we need this new format?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dwaugh, Oct 31, 2005.

1. dwaugh

dwaugh Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Sorry if this has been posted by someone else, somewhere else, I'm too lazy to look and check for myself. But this new format really bugs me, much more than the shift to the gray color scheme did. It seems like a waste of space, and makes it much harder to read a thread quickly. I dont know what it is, but I just can't read as easily now.
    Why did it have to change?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. johnbryanpeters

Rep/Likes:
    242 / 2,569
    Do some searching and read the prior conversations. The reason has been explained, and we're not going to repeat it just because you profess to laziness.

Mr. Grump

3. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Gang probed by the Golden Banana

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I don't get it. Wheres the waste of space? What takes longer?

4. robdamanii

robdamanii OMG! <3 Tom Brady!

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I have to concur. The new design is very compact and is easy to scroll through.

Guess we can't make everyone happy.

5. berkshire_rider

berkshire_rider Growler

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 10
    Posting takes longer. For instance, when I was posting to the "Do we need signatures" thread, it hung for >60 seconds before doing anything, then logged me out of the forum. When I logged back in, it said I was trying to view an invalid thread. :confused:

At work, where I have to use IE 6, every time I reply to a thread, it hangs, and then goes to the "Page not found" error message. When I go back one page, and try to "Submit Reply" again, it states it's a duplicate post or The administrator has determeined you can only post to a thread once evry 30 seconds error.

Neither of the above happened prior to the upgrade. Are the minor? Maybe, but they are definitely a pain in the ass.

6. hooples3

hooples3 Fuggetaboutit!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I think the post font should look different from the sig font.. otherwise it all looks like one big paragraph at times

7. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 92
    I've just been dealing with it but since others brought it up, I think it's kind of weird that the avatar space is bigger than before if the idea is to streamline and make it easier to scroll in a thread.

Also, it seems like we are getting more pop-ups and ads that take more time to load.

I know, I know: :nopity:

8. robdamanii

robdamanii OMG! <3 Tom Brady!

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I'll certainly agree that it's taking a while to load....slow slow slow.

9. JRB

JRB Guest

Rep/Likes:
    0 / N/A
    I like this particular format. I didn't like the first rendition today, but this one is cool for me.

10. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    I would have to agree. The larger fonts for the username makes it a little longer to scroll. My index finger is starting to have spasms.

I did not know this was coming. I will have to look for the reason because I don't want to be accused of being lazy.

11. bluebug32

bluebug32 Asshat

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I like it except that the quick reply doesn't work all the time and it does take a while to load, especially on my mac at work. But I think the monkey's generally headed in a good direction.

12. bballe336

bballe336 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    the real question is why are you complaining when someone is trying to make the forum better?

13. frznnomad

frznnomad Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    yeh im not a fan either i like the way that it was and i really would like to go back. although i am not the owner but i still feel like we a voice in what happens to this forum. some of us pay to be privlaged members and what we think should be takin into consideration. although this is all for the better i guess maybee we could compramise and maybee he could start asking us what we think. including us into it would be nice but thats just what i think. :thumb:

14. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    80 / 354
    Jesus, guys, how about taking a few deep breaths and dealing with what is obviously a few growing pains before complaining about it?

Complaining that posting takes 60 seconds and tends to hang? You really think that's a new feature in the upgrade?

Besides, everyone on this board seems to be a grump who hates change. There have been complaint threads every time the board has undergone any kind of change, and pretty soon, people realize.. hey, it's not so bad. It's not really any different, just takes a few minutes to get used to.

Frankly, I don't get what the issue is. This new format is a pretty small change, a little more white space but a more sophisticated looking layout. If you want to compact things, turn off avatars and signatures, that'll compact it real nice.

15. JRB

JRB Guest

Rep/Likes:
    0 / N/A

The first one today seemed lame, but this one is cool. I say again.

16. Rip

Rip Mr. Excitement

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    I like it actually.

17. berkshire_rider

berkshire_rider Growler

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 10
    No. I consider it a reply to:
    I was under the impression additional detail was being requested. I don't care what color the forum is or if it changes it every 3 hours. :rolleyes:

18. frznnomad

frznnomad Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    ohh sorry i wasnt meaning mine as a rant or anything i was just expressing what i think. change is good in some instances but being informed or being involved i think would be nice. sorry for making it sound like a rant.

19. dwaugh

dwaugh Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Maybe I reacted too quickly, but I do agree with this point. Oh well, I guess I'll just need to get used to it...
    And what makes it take so long to post? My internet went to an error window.

20. I Are Baboon

I Are Baboon Run, Forrest, Run!

Rep/Likes:
    152 / 1,311
    OK, a few harmless posts may have disappeared from this thread because I was trying a new function. :D

WOO HOO....one more way to delete posts! :thumb:

21. Skookum

Skookum bikey's is cool

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i liked the first rendition used in the morning because pictures fit better. This new rendition is pretty much a clone of the last, so i'm pretty indifferent.

22. frznnomad

frznnomad Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    now i do like how we have numbered the post and how the avatars are bigger, but im just not a fan of the writing box and the boarder. ohh well still the same forum and still the same kool people so its all good i guess.:thumb: