Quantcast

Why do you Ride?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Because I like going fast
Because I like going slow, uphill, and suffering.
Because I like cleaning out flesh wounds.
Because poison oak rashes are sexy
Because of that sound your tires make right before they break traction on hardpacked clay.
Because smoking dope indoors gets old after a while!
And....because some Sierra Club, bunny hugging dipsh*t doesn't want me to.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
It gets me away from stupid people for just a few hours.
don't you live in the woods already?:brow: Y'know, thats how the Unibomber got his start too, he was in Crested Butte with Gary Fisher and the rest of them in the late 1970s;

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Because...

It's fun.
It makes me feel free.
It kills the stress, if only for a few hours or minutes.
It brings me together around old friends.
It's made me new friends as well.
It makes me push myself.
It makes me learn (mechanically, physically, mentally).
It gives me an excuse to tinker in the garage with beer, metal (music/bike) and combustibles all at the same time!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
don't you live in the woods already?:brow: Y'know, thats how the Unibomber got his start too, he was in Crested Butte with Gary Fisher and the rest of them in the late 1970s;
Actually, the Unibomber started by us - went to RPI in Troy and his brother who turned him in still lives in Albany- doing the anti-death penalty speech circuit.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
There are these moments I have when riding where if feel like Im flying an F-18 through a canyon. It's those moments.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Because I love to tell people to feel my thighs!

edit: Okay, its when you get in the groove and everything just flows. Through the rocks, up the steeps and around the corners. When you're ridding at the edge of traction and you know thats the only thing holding you back. When you make a technical climb and aren't hearing blood pounding in your ears.

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
... because of the mental and physical gratification of reaching those moments of flow. That and the beer taste soooo much better afterwards. :cheers:

Archie

Chimp
Sep 9, 2006
Macomb, IL
I ride for the rush. When you lean into a turn, going 35, shoulder to shoulder with 30 other people, hearing people crash behind you, it becomes an addiction.

I love becoming better then what I was. I use to do a ride every saturday and sunday morning and there was a guy on a yellow gt who use to yell at me all the time. "Your not moving fast enough.' 'Your not staying close enough to the guy ahead of you' or I wasn't keeping the pace he wanted; crap like that. We use to come to the water stop 40 miles out and he would just ignore me and give me crappy looks. Then the end of the summer rolled around and I remember times when I would be sitting on my toptube after a 2 or 3 minute break, watching him roll in with sweat dripping down his face...and I would laugh