Quantcast

Why does god hate me? (NHL and OLN)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
so don't get OLN, and as a result can't watch the Tour or any of these other 1/2 hour "specials" they have on mtn biking. ok, can deal with that, its only for 21 days out of the summer, and who cares about their abridged mtn bike coverage the rest of the time. now this: http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/08/233286.html

missed hockey last year due to lockout. will miss it again this year due to crappy OLN and crappy Cablevision not agreeing to put it in the standard cable package. will hopefully get most of my local games, but this absolutely BLOWS for any kind of national coverage. :angry: OLN is in about 60% of cable customers. Yeah, NHL, great job on trying to get more people to watch. Way to appeal to rednecks and RV'ers. :dead:

edit: only upside to this is if more people clamor for OLN so they can watch hockey, maybe I'll get to watch the Tour next year. :rolleyes:

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
pixelninja said:
It's an EXCELLENT idea ;)

And doesn't OLN stand for OUTDOOR Life Network? When was the last time an NHL game was played outdoors?

November 23, 2003 Edmonton and Montreal in Edmonton

For the first time in NHL league history a NHL game was played outdoors on November 23, 2003. The game was held in Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium in front of a record crowd of 57,167 people. The attendance more than doubled the previous record of 28,183 for an NHL game.

The Edmonton Oilers lost to the Montreal Canadiens 4-3.

Prior to the NHL game a game featuring former hockey superstars and Oilers alumni (including Wayne Gretzky) was played. The Oilers alumni won 2-0, despite being outshot 26-12

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
pixelninja said:
It's an EXCELLENT idea ;)

And doesn't OLN stand for OUTDOOR Life Network? When was the last time an NHL game was played outdoors?

Sorry to tell you but the NHL contract is the first step in OLN going OTA (off the air) Comcast is using it as a platform to start a rival to ESPN.

Have you noticed that espn is starting to become more and more like MTV? Less sports more shows.

And the NHL has plans on playing another game outside this year or the next.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
PonySoldier said:
November 23, 2003 Edmonton and Montreal in Edmonton

For the first time in NHL league history a NHL game was played outdoors on November 23, 2003. The game was held in Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium in front of a record crowd of 57,167 people. The attendance more than doubled the previous record of 28,183 for an NHL game.

The Edmonton Oilers lost to the Montreal Canadiens 4-3.

Prior to the NHL game a game featuring former hockey superstars and Oilers alumni (including Wayne Gretzky) was played. The Oilers alumni won 2-0, despite being outshot 26-12
It was so cold that the beer froze if you didn't drink by the time you got back to your seat. My sister and brother-in-law were there. The alumni game sucked, except for Grant Fuhr. He still had it.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
this OLN deal isnt because of choice.
the no hockey league tried to get back on ESPN this year, but because of the lockout and deminishing ratings when it was on, ESPN decided not to even carry it.
and quit yer bitchin about OLN not on basic, in order for me to get it on my dish, i have to go two packages higher. a sat bill +$30 isnt going to work, thank god for NESN

on a similar note, the Broons released ticket prices for this year, the garden now has a block of seats for $10! granted, they are the last two rows behind each net, but still, you cant beat the price. These seats were $35 BLO (before lock out)

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I Are Baboon said:
OLN: TdF, rodeo, bass fishing, and NHL hockey. Interesting combination.
You forgot hunting, and survivor reruns and equestrian events, and RV shows, and yacht racing. Did I mention hunting?

Don't get OLN either, gues I have to watch the Devils:think: Flyers :think::think:Islanders:think::think::think: or Rangers:dead::dead::dead:Blackhawks(Don't exactly know how in the hell I get WGN.):dead: :think: :dead: :think: :dead:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I Are Baboon said:
OLN: TdF, rodeo, bass fishing, and NHL hockey. Interesting combination.
New OLN pilot show: Downhill Biking and Off-shore fishing. They were filming at South SeaTac last time I was there. They even caught me eating dirt off a stepdown (one that I've landed every time before that, mind you) and making a dumbass of myself.