Quantcast

Why does the right hate teachers?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've always noticed an irrational hatred towards teachers, with people on the right throwing up all sorts of crazy notions that aren't true, like that they only work from 9-3, that they enjoy crazy large salaries, that they don't deserve retirement. I just don't get where that hatred comes from, but as a former educator and the child of one, it just blows my mind the comments in articles such as this one and what I hear from hard-right coworkers.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/oklahoma-teacher-panhandles-raise-money-school-supplies-192704621--abc-news-parenting.html

I think this teacher's actions are great though. This state has enough money for more churches per capita than I've ever seen, so they definitely have enough money to put more towards education and teachers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
All u need 2 b tawt is da jeebus.

If every American was taught independent thought and critical thinking the republican party as it exists today would be extinct.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well yeah, but it doesn't even seem like they are conscious of it. Just a strange irrational hatred directed at teachers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Manimal was ahead of his time in his hatred for higher education.

I think another component to this hatred is the rights turn towards to Oligarchy. Education creates upward mobility and egalitarian ideals. I am convinced the post Citizens United conservative world is ruled by a few wealthy powerful people that are sick of the common man defining the rules that govern them. They want all the power and found ways to convince the uneducated that education is bad because it is easier to control the uneducated.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Manimal was ahead of his time in his hatred for higher education.

I think another component to this hatred is the rights turn towards to Oligarchy. Education creates upward mobility and egalitarian ideals. I am convinced the post Citizens United conservative world is ruled by a few wealthy powerful people that are sick of the common man defining the rules that govern them. They want all the power and found ways to convince the uneducated that education is bad because it is easier to control the uneducated.
i think part of it also ties to the evangelical christian base. they view higher education as unnecessary since it contradicts many of their beliefs. White Jeebus ain't got time for that.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The problem arises when education contradicts all the bullshit taught in church and by shortsighted idiots who worship false idols. Add this to the fact that much education and research is publicly funded and results in the above mentioned contradictions...