Quantcast

Why doesn't everyone use these?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah! Why doesn't everyone drive a Kia? Fvck BMW! Longer warranty! And it's cheaper!

...I like Craftsman tools, but do you see the point here?

I use a Pedros set that are the best hex wrenches I've ever touched.

edit: The set CF posted is the one I have :)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I only use Craftsmen hex wrenches. I have 2 sets of T handles, 2 sets of short handles, and 2 sets of long handles. Oh yeah I also have a set of the 3/8" drive bits for my breaker bar set which is a Craftsmen also. :love:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Like he said, free replacement, lifetime. Bust the replacements up, return those too. The only Park stuff I will buy is the bike unique stuff, anything else, particularly hand tools, its Craftsman. My grandkids could return 'em, no ?'s asked.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yep, especially when one must take into consideration that Park costs 50 bucks, Pedro's is 40, and once they wear out, no free replacement.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bondhaus hex wrenches rule. Cheap and strong, I've done some terribly abusive things to them at work and they have never failed me, things that go way beyond what a bike needs.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
JohnE said:
Like he said, free replacement, lifetime. Bust the replacements up, return those too. The only Park stuff I will buy is the bike unique stuff, anything else, particularly hand tools, its Craftsman. My grandkids could return 'em, no ?'s asked.
Yep, which is great for a lot of things.

But for something I use as often as hex wrenches, I'd rather have a high quality item that I won't be likely to break in the first place.

I've got a bunch of Craftsman tools, and I've returned a couple for replacements. Their policy is undoubtedly great. But again, some tools I'd rather have a super high quality tool to begin with rather than free replacements.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I know plenty of career mechanics who use those craftsmen ones, but the big pedros L handle ones are far better to use, especially if you have one in your hand for the better part of an 8 hour shift, 6 days a week. You can get far more torque with the pedros.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The quality of your tool means everything, i dont have park tools cause i belive they are too expensive, I am a carrer Technition in teh auto feild, i use alot of craftsman tool, but the pro line only, cost a little more, but they dont break as often, also buy from Mac/Stanley, again last a long time, but not only free replacement, but he drives to me, As far as Hex wrenchs go, there a ton of different varaieties out there, i personally like teh Socket style if i am using them alot, for actual hex style, i like the ones like the pedros with the nice plastic handle.....

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have to side with blue on this one. I have used both the Park and the Craftsman, and broken both several times. I payed for the Craftsman once, and the Park 5 or 6 times. I would buy Mac or Snap-On if I were a pro auto mechanic, because although they brake just as often, they send a truck to you when you need a new one. As for why I would buy a Mercedes as aposed to a Hiundiay(or however the hell it's spelled) the Mercedes is higher quality and much better built, they are not of equal quality like Park and Craftsman are.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
JohnE said:
:stupid:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Ciaran said:
don t agree with johnE mate, he lives out near area 51... his brain is fried ;)... i like craftsman as well...

speaking of craftsman, whats their take on rusty tools... not left outside in the rain rust... but rust from humidity...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Shoot 'em up with some WD 40 and return dem things!!
The worst thing they can do is say no. Or kill you. But that would be a little extreme.
No humidity down here, just 114 degree temps! YEE HAAH!!! (Not really...)

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
partsbara said:
don t agree with johnE mate, he lives out near area 51... his brain is fried ;)... i like craftsman as well...

speaking of craftsman, whats their take on rusty tools... not left outside in the rain rust... but rust from humidity...
ive never heard of craftsman not taking tools back

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Craftsman will replace them "for any reason" or so it seems. I have never had issues with Craftsman, Husky (home depot), Mechanics Mate (Ace hardware), or any other store brand that has the same replacement policy.

The only time I've busted Craftsman tools what when I was using them worng (like with imapct tools on non impact sockets) and they still replace them.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Ive had a problem with Craftsman not taking back tools until they are to the point they don't work at all. I have a snap-on driver come to the bike shop where I work every Friday. Basically if I tell him that something doesn't work like it should, he either gives me a new one on the spot or has it for me in a few days. That being said, those new Wiha l bends are awesome, the ones that hold the bolt for you.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jimmydean said:
The only time I've busted Craftsman tools what when I was using them worng (like with imapct tools on non impact sockets) and they still replace them.
They replaced a 20 year old socket wrench that my dad gave me that had stopped functioning... because it was used as a hammer :p

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
So far I have had the best of luck with Husky allen wrenches. They get the most use of any that I own and to date the only issue was when I broke the ball end off trying to loosen something. No problem, I brought it back to Home Depot and they replaced it on the spot.

I do own a small set of Bondhaus wrenches and so far I have had the 2.5mm allen wrench round off on me.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
blue said:
Why? Well mainly because when I bought hex-wrenches 10 years ago, Craftsman only sold the T-handle wrenches (which I do have) in the standard non-ball end version. My Bondhaus wrenches haven't needed replacement.

I may look at these Craftsman wreches for my auto kit, though.