Quantcast

Why don't I like the death penalty?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Congrats.

The law didnt execute an innocent man, like it wasn't supposed to.

What do you want, a cookie? I'm not worried about the innocent men not getting executed, personally. It's the guilty ones that are fine by me.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Congrats.

The law didnt execute an innocent man, like it wasn't supposed to.

What do you want, a cookie? I'm not worried about the innocent men not getting executed, personally. It's the guilty ones that are fine by me.
I should probably be flattered that you are retreating to the classic "parrot" treatment. I haven't had someone do that for a long time (I think it's been about 20 years, actually. First or second grade...right about the time I first got glasses. Feel free to call me "four eyes" next.)

Seriously though, why not just reply to this thread in the first place?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Silver
I
Seriously though, why not just reply to this thread in the first place?
well the way i did was just that much more fun, wasnt it?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by chicodude01
yea, so hes innocent, what exactly is your point here. what does it have do do why you dont like the death penalty?

Well, how about the fact that if HBO hadn't have been shooting at Dodger Stadium that night he very well could have been executed?

Personally, I'm not banking on the fact that HBO is going to have a camera everywhere I go.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
well the way i did was just that much more fun, wasnt it?
Not really. If you could free an innocent man who had been executed, I'd find it more interesting.

You can't uncook an egg (or someone in the electric chair, for that matter.)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I bet that the number of people wrongly executed each year does not surpass the amount of people what arent killed by those who dont want to be fried or injected to death. No way to prove it, but Id say thats a fairly safe assumption. Its about numbers, no?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I bet that the number of people wrongly executed each year does not surpass the amount of people what arent killed by those who dont want to be fried or injected to death. No way to prove it, but Id say thats a fairly safe assumption. Its about numbers, no?
Oh really? All about numbers? I assume you'd feel fine taxing income above $100,000 at 90% then? After all, it would help out vast numbers of poorer people.

All about the numbers, no?

As far that being a fairly safe assumption, are you proposing that the US is a safer place than countries that prohibit the death penalty?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh really? All about numbers? I assume you'd feel fine taxing income above $100,000 at 90% then? After all, it would help out vast numbers of poorer people.

All about the numbers, no?

As far that being a fairly safe assumption, are you proposing that the US is a safer place than countries that prohibit the death penalty?
Numbers when it comes to human lives fella!

Oh, and I dont venture to say that the US is safer than other countries because of the death penalty, but i believe its safer on its own becuase of it.. I mean, our culture in alot of areas is pretty destructive compared to like...I dunno....somewhere happy:confused:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Most stats I've seen show murder rates to be lower in non-death penalty states.

How about this:

Top 4 nations in the world regarding executions in 1998:

China: 1700
Congo: >100
USA: 68
Iran: 66

We seem to be in fantastic company there...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Not really. If you could free an innocent man who had been executed...
And he would've been executed (probably). Many states have a mandatory death penalty law for killing someone who testifies.

And I'm moving into the anti-death penalty group... for a variety of reasons. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with killing those guilty of serious crimes.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The show was hardly about the ballpark crowd that night. Its plot turned instead on a prostitute being hired - not for sex, but to be a passenger in a car so that the driver could qualify to travel in the carpool lane, avoiding the worst of baseball stadium traffic.

Awesome!!! Why hadn't I thought of that?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
The show was hardly about the ballpark crowd that night. Its plot turned instead on a prostitute being hired - not for sex, but to be a passenger in a car so that the driver could qualify to travel in the carpool lane, avoiding the worst of baseball stadium traffic.

Awesome!!! Why hadn't I thought of that?
Curb is one of the funniest shows on TV. top 3

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
The Numbers

Unfortunately, it's not even usefull as a deterrent. My beef with the death penalty isn't about sanctity of life. If we could for absolute certain know that we are killing a sick fvck - then I would have no qualms. But we don't have absolute certainty. In fact, I don't think it's possible for the state to have absolute certainty - relative-pretty-good-almost-certain, but not absolute. And that's just about inherent flaws in third party arbitration, take into account humanities propensity to lie, cheat, steal and generally be corrupt, there is no way in hell I think a system like that should be taking lives. Granted, it's a great system - but it has it's limits.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Don't you write for a living? I can't work out what you're trying to say.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I didn't really read this whole thread but I am all for the death penalty.

only, not how it's set up right now.

they should be able to kill someone they know is guilty, not simply found guilty.

like they catch the guy w/ the bloody axe and the persons head in their trunk. kill them. and don't have some dumb appeals thing, just kill them. no sitting on death row for 10 years. you die now.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by pnj
like they catch the guy w/ the bloody axe and the persons head in their trunk. kill them. and don't have some dumb appeals thing, just kill them. no sitting on death row for 10 years. you die now.
If the death penalty was like this I'd be more of a fan. Having a guy sit on death row for a long ass time is a waste of money. Hell, it's more expensive to kill someone via death penalty than it is to imprison them for life....that ain't right. If we're going to get rid of society's f-ups we might as well do it efficiently.

Unfortunately it seems rare when there is 100% certainty that someone has commited a death penalty viable crime. As long as the process is expensive, not to mention a racist and discriminatory system I'm not going to support it. Unfortunately that means I will probably never be able to support the death penalty....which SUCKS! cause it's so much fun ;)

The Ito