Quantcast

why don't women show up in mtb ads?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
doing a project that requires me to look at ads involving nature. i chose mtb ads. i think i've seen one with a woman rider. why is that?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well if you're in a class studying any kind of advertising. You should know the answer. Who buys the most bikes?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
it's not an advertising class.

so why don't more girls ride? my 'sources' so far have been 4 issues of Flow, 1 Dirt (that had i think 3 pictures of Missy Giove...the rest of the girls were unidentified and most damn near naked), and a mountain of Dirt Rags.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
the Inbred said:
it's not an advertising class.

so why don't more girls ride?
Because when they get on internet forums people say "Id hit it" and non-stop PM them till they go away.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Every time there is a half decent ad with a chick in it, people write in a ton of letters about how offensive it is to see some cleavage, especially in such a "pure" sport.

We've seen plenty of man-boob in ads, and I don't understand how a chick nipple is offensive, but hairy man nipple is ok. Let's get our act together and stop writing these offended letters.

How is censorship respectful?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
BurlyShirley said:
Yes, some, but if you cant see why "some" amount of censorship is necessary...well...too bad. Its there.
All joking aside, I don't think anyone complains about seeing a male chest in a MTB magazine. But I've read quite a few letters to the editor from pissed off readers whose moral goodness has been lost as a result of glancing upon more than a handful of female teat.

I feel a respectful breast shot shouldn't be censored. Now a provocative shot, like the lesbos doubledonging the ProTapers, isn't exactly a respectful shot. Is there something wrong with breasts? To censor them is to say they are offensive and not worthy of looking upon. I'd much rather see them than not.

Whatever. As long as the amount of hairy man-nipple shots don't suddenly skyrocket, I'll have no probs. Heck, I haven't even seen a MTB magazine in about 6 months.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Word. Magazines are pretty much obselete now that the internet spreads the info so fast. I dont mind some scantily clad women either, but if selling bikes is the point of advertising, showing pro riders do cool stuff on a bike inspires more confidence that some chick doing whatever chicks do on bikes.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
BurlyShirley said:
but if selling bikes is the point of advertising, showing pro riders do cool stuff on a bike inspires more confidence that some chick doing whatever chicks do on bikes.
huh? i'm not sure how you meant this to come out, but i get the feeling that you don't think chicks can do fun things on bikes.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
amydalayna said:
huh? i'm not sure how you meant this to come out, but i get the feeling that you don't think chicks can do fun things on bikes.
I dont mean to be offensive, but when it comes to pushing the limits of equipment and what can be done on a bicycle, it isnt women who are the innovators. That's not to say that they dont have the ability or whatever, and Im sure there are better women riders than myself out there, but in terms of what's being done, men tend to push the envelople and are seen as the heroes, and therefore, are put in ads to sell product.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
johnbryanpeters said:
That'd explain avoiding the forums, but do you think it causes avoiding riding?
There are a million reasons girls don't ride as much as boys, just like there are a million reasons guys don't cheer or figure skate as much as girls.

but the "its so awesome to see a hot chick riding" comments are really annoying and lame.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
BurlyShirley said:
Because when they get on internet forums people say "Id hit it" and non-stop PM them till they go away.

You must have sold you account to someone else. The BS I know has the record for saying "I'd hit it" the most times. Since when are you Mr. sensitive?

laura said:
There are a million reasons girls don't ride as much as boys, just like there are a million reasons guys don't cheer or figure skate as much as girls.

but the "its so awesome to see a hot chick riding" comments are really annoying and lame.
I think that, in particular, it's the "hot chick" archetype, what I refer to as the American geisha, that too often kills meaningful interactions in general between males and females.

BeerDemon said:
You must have sold you account to someone else. The BS I know has the record for saying "I'd hit it" the most times. Since when are you Mr. sensitive?
You may need to attempt to distinguish between Jason's persona here and what he might actually be like...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
BeerDemon said:
Yeah, I say it to pictures of Lindsay Lohan or Michael Jackson maybe, but not the girls who post here.

splat

Nam I am
laura said:
"its so awesome to see a hot chick riding"
But its so true!!!

Sorry Laura I couldn't resist :D

Seriously , I think also part of the reason , that they always show Men ( riding ) in ads , is since lets face it most oft he buyers are men , and having a woman on a Bike , a Guy might think "its too dainty " or It won't be able to hold up to the beating I ill put it through " or "its Not going to be tough enough" or maybe they are putting Hot guys on bikes to sell to Women ???

Jabuttri

Monkey
Sep 16, 2005
Bellingham & Portland
Riding on the northshore and whistler last summer I noticed a lack of tallented and good looking female riders. I saw one or two good looking ones who were bad and a some that were better than me but were terribly unattractive.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
laura said:
Bush rides a mountain bike... and he was a cheerleader...

Bush is a woman??!??

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
johnbryanpeters said:
You may need to attempt to distinguish between Jason's persona here and what he might actually be like...

Wait...WTF?

Me and Shirly have the same name...

:ouch:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Jabuttri said:
Riding on the northshore and whistler last summer I noticed a lack of tallented and good looking female riders. I saw one or two good looking ones who were bad and a some that were better than me but were terribly unattractive.
It's in the eye of the beholder.

"Hotness" means different things to different people. Also, some people look way better on a bike than off the bike, and vice versa.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country

There are girls that "go big". Tracey hannah for example, just went off this drop (I think in CO), while men were skeptical about it.

At whistler last year, I was riding A-line. A girl came around me and just flew off the A-line drop while I slowly rolled it behind her. I have a feeling that as time goes on there will be more femal riders (maybe even a noticable amount in a few years).

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
the Inbred said:
doing a project that requires me to look at ads involving nature. i chose mtb ads. i think i've seen one with a woman rider. why is that?
Try a few of the UK magazines. They'got tons of female bodies.

KHS and another company put women in their adverts.

The Ito

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Besides, most women look the same in a full face helmet and shin guards...

:devil:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have a khs poster of Mellissa Buhl and a Maxxis poster of April Lawyr from magazines. I think Kathy Pruit is in the Yeti or TLD ads.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
H8R said:
It's in the eye of the beholder.

"Hotness" means different things to different people. Also, some people look way better on a bike than off the bike, and vice versa.

and some people just want to ride a bike and not have their physical appearance critiqued. as soon as a girl starts talking about biking or a female biker is being discussed, her looks become the hot ****ing topic and it gets old really fast.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
mtnbrider said:

There are girls that "go big". Tracey hannah for example, just went off this drop (I think in CO), while men were skeptical about it.

At whistler last year, I was riding A-line. A good looking girl came around me and just flew off the A-line drop while I slowly rolled it behind her. I have a feeling that as time goes on there will be more femal riders (maybe even a noticable amount in a few years).
i don't think anyone, at any point, ever said in this thread that chicks can't/don't go big, they are just WAY more of an exception.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
laura said:
and some people just want to ride a bike and not have their physical appearance critiqued. as soon as a girl starts talking about biking or a female biker is being discussed, her looks become the hot ****ing topic and it gets old really fast.

suck it up princess....

i kid, i kid...i just know you like to use that expression so i thought i'd turn the tables :nuts:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think it will slowly become more like snowboarding as mountain biking grabs more exposure, where a lot more chicks participate.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
laura said:
It applies to anything really. That's how guys think. A girl could talk about biking, or kayaking, or car repair, or dry cleaning.

"Is the dry cleaning girl a hotty?"

:rolleyes:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BeerDemon said:

When they say it about his girl, he gets a bit angry......