why don't women show up in mtb ads?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Ummmm Marzocchi bomber girls?
Paola Pezo in all the Fisher adds
The KHS adds, as mentioned before
I'm sure there are more, I can remember quite a few more but not who they were adverts for.

Brians Lopes id a little bttch, does that count?:redhot:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I think the more interesting question to look into when evaluating advertisements is, how are women portrayed when they do show up in MTB ads. Are they ripping down the trail or are they in their panties servicing a sexy fork.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
laura said:
I think the more interesting question to look into when evaluating advertisements is, how are women portrayed when they do show up in MTB ads. Are they ripping down the trail or are they in their panties servicing a sexy fork.
car ads are the worst.

pick up a tuner magazine and tell me why a chick has to be in acrylic heels and a thong to sell some friggin tires?
:mumble:

One of my friends said any chick who rides is hot. He didn't say this to me of course, but I heard it from another friend.

I think that expresses an admiration for women who try biking, instead of sitting at home watching soaps and thinking about shopping.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
MudGrrl said:
One of my friends said any chick who rides is hot. He didn't say this to me of course, but I heard it from another friend.

I think that expresses an admiration for women who try biking, instead of sitting at home watching soaps and thinking about shopping.
I might not say "any" but girls that are into sports/activites instead of shopping or something are wwwaaaayyyy more appealing, and if they ride - well thats just too good to be true (expect my g/f rides, so it is true)

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
It is just like using a man to sell diet coke..no???? women buy diet soda so there are goimg to use a guy [who happened to just have his shirt off].. to sell the stuff....I also think women that are bothered by this stuff must be a little insecure.....

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
ktmsx said:
I also think women that are bothered by this stuff must be a little insecure.....

hoooo boy!

well, next time you get a contract to be in an advertisement, let me know if you are riding the bike or are asked to be half naked and fellating a fork.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
MudGrrl said:
hoooo boy!

well, next time you get a contract to be in an advertisement, let me know if you are riding the bike or are asked to be half naked and fellating a fork.

hahahahah i was totally going to use the word fellating in my previous post but i wasn't sure if it was a word so i chose servicing.

Insecure, no. tired of being viewed as a sexual vehicle to make products more enticing, yes.

yeah yeah yeah, girls who ride are hot, but so are men who cook, do dishes and rub my feet.

But when someone posts a picture of the newest female member of a downhill team and comments range from the size of her breast to her lazy eye, the scene becomes discouraging.

It takes a lot for me to get out and ride and try new things on my bike. The thought that the way my ass looks in spandex is more relevant to male counterparts than how well i ride makes the whole thing more intimidating.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
MudGrrl said:
hoooo boy!

If I was asked to be half naked you would see aline out the door to buy that product.....[yeah I may be stretching it a tad bit]....more like the company would go out of business.....I really think that if you feel good about yourself why would it bother you to see a woman half naked bent over a bike...???

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
laura said:
that's what i was thinking of when i posted this. i didn't mean Jenna Jameson covering her boobs in a Zoke ad...i meant more like a girl pulling her bike out of an Xterra and such.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
ktmsx said:
I really think that if you feel good about yourself why would it bother you to see a woman half naked bent over a bike...???

I'm just curious as to how my feeling good about my self relates to my being sick of women constantly portrayed as sex objects.

I feel fine about myself. I'm smart, strong, funny, cute, an excellent wife, student and employee. I'm a decent rider (I've even got trohpies on my mantel) and all around althlete. I am happier than I have ever been in my life. Thats the problem though. There are a million layers to me and the only ones that get noticed more often than not are aestetic ones, the ones that I have little control over in the first place.

This argument is so monotanous. Guys will always appreciate tits and ass more than smarts or talent and women will constantly be driven to be better at everything so that some one will notice, until we finally take over the world and have men slaves.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
laura said:
I'm just curious as to how my feeling good about my self relates to my being sick of women constantly portrayed as sex objects.
..somethings will never change thats all...as long as there are women who will model like that and there are still men of any age still alive...tits and ass as you said...will always be a great selling tool.....my wife would agree with you 100%....

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
laura said:

I feel fine about myself. I'm smart, strong, funny, cute, an excellent wife, student and employee. I'm a decent rider (I've even got trohpies on my mantel) and all around althlete. I am happier than I have ever been in my life. Thats the problem though. There are a million layers to me and the only ones that get noticed more often than not are aestetic ones, the ones that I have little control over in the first place.

This argument is so monotanous. Guys will always appreciate tits and ass more than smarts or talent and women will constantly be driven to be better at everything so that some one will notice, until we finally take over the world and have men slaves.
Here! Here!

J

JRB

I personally think a really smart chick in plastic heels and a thong would make me buy tires.

Sheesh - girls are so catty. :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
MudGrrl said:
car ads are the worst.

pick up a tuner magazine and tell me why a chick has to be in acrylic heels and a thong to sell some friggin tires?
Do you need to ask this?

It's the "made you look" approach to advertising. If there is an almost naked chick, we'll look. If we are looking, we eventually might see what ever the hell is actually being pushed in the ad.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
laura said:
yeah yeah yeah, girls who ride are hot, but so are men who cook, do dishes and rub my feet.
I make a kick ass roast, I rub my wife's feet all the time, and we have a dishwasher.

I also do the taxes and mow the lawn. And I can lift heavy things. And I'm honest enough to tell my wife when her friends are being bitches.

I'm hot!

:hot: :D

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
mtnbrider said:

There are girls that "go big". Tracey hannah for example, just went off this drop (I think in CO), while men were skeptical about it.
I can't get over this picture..!!!!!! I just printed it for my area..not as big as I wanted but it will do...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I really like that too. The big /fast drop, angle, background (trees/mtns)- overall, its such a cool picture.

You could probably buy a big print. His name is motionboy on here. He has a featured a gallery in the photo section (click the photos link in the header).

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
laura said:

She's my new president, a great woman... but doesn't ride.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
mtnbrider said:
I really like that too. The big /fast drop, angle, background (trees/mtns)- overall, its such a cool picture.

You could probably buy a big print. His name is motionboy on here. He has a featured a gallery in the photo section (click the photos link in the header).
It's really alot more fun in person than in a picture, but you would be surprised, you can see the landing, and not many people even cleared it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
MudGrrl said:
that's true.

have you ever wondered if those people are models, or are actually outdoors people who they just happened to 'find'?

I always kind of wonder.

i always wonder that about the women in title nine catalogs.