Quantcast

Why I am against the NRA

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No matter how many guns I own, I will be against the NRA for these kinds of reasons:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=7211

Stopping Your Tax Dollars From Funding Anti-Gun Studies

One of the protections expanded and strengthened can be found in Sec. 218 of the Labor, Health and Human Services, Education (Labor-H) division of the bill. This section prevents the National Institutes of Health (NIH) from using taxpayer dollars to promulgate junk science designed to paint legal gun ownership as a public health hazard. Since 2002, the NIH has spent nearly $5 million on this “research” even though their counterparts at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have been prevented from funding similar studies since being blocked in 1996 by a NRA-backed provision. The following are just a few examples of the anti-gun research funded using taxpayer dollars:

• [*]$2,639,453 was spent by the NIH to investigate whether adolescents 10-19 years old who were treated at the hospital for a gunshot wound were more likely to have consumed alcohol and/or carried a firearm during the time period surrounding their injury than victims of a non-gun assault. Basically, the researchers wanted to know why teenagers who possess firearms illegally and engage in underage drinking and consort with those who do the same-were likely to be involved in violent situations.
    [*] $1,980,327 was allocated by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, a division of NIH, to determine the relationship between gun violence and the presence of bars and liquor stores. The researchers posited that communities could lower homicide and suicide rates by improving zoning regulations for “alcohol outlets.”
    [*] $35,933 in federal funding was used to “understand the determinants of firearm ownership and storage practices” and “measure attitudes and beliefs about firearms” among parents. The study was funded by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development through NIH, and aimed to solidify the notion that a “home free of hazards” was essential to children’s safety and well-being.
These junk science studies and others like them are designed to provide ammunition for the gun control lobby by advancing the false notion that legal gun ownership is a danger to the public health instead of an inalienable right.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I will always be for the NRA, stance on gheys, legal to own guns, drugs, legal to own guns, bars, legal to own guns.

Their stance is only about freedom to have legal gun ownership, not to expand and tell you how to live the rest of your life, no other group stays that focused.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am a gun owner, but my weapons are all tactical weapons, of a sort that I am required to use in my line of work. I trained and proficient with all of them, and emphasize safety in anything I do with them. I do not allow my kids to play with toy guns, however, I do not hide guns and other weapons from them. I emphasize that weapons are tools, not toys, and when they are old enough and mature enough to handle them I will teach them everything I know about their use, ,if they are so inclined to learn. I do not, and cannot, understand why Joe American citizen needs a .50 cal sniper rifle, or a fully auto anything. Hunting and self defense weapons, sure. But the ability to reach out and touch someone over a mile away, or to defeat a Cops body armor is not something the average citizen needs, IMHO...

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
I do not, and cannot, understand why Joe American citizen needs a .50 cal sniper rifle, or a fully auto anything....

While I agree, JohnE, I have to play the devils advocate, and wonder about extending this qualification to other aspects of life. Perhaps, unless you are giving Atherton, or Gwin, or Peat a run for their money---maybe there is no real reason or justification for you to have a downhill bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Perhaps, unless you are giving Atherton, or Gwin, or Peat a run for their money---maybe there is no real reason or justification for you to have a downhill bike.
How insightful.

How many dh bikes have been used to kill someone, even accidentally?

Hey John E: You should just do like manimal and take pics of your sub 10 year old kids holding your AR replica just to go neener neener on the internet. Because it's funny!

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
My point is that people want things, not because of the things 'potential'-- but because they CAN have them.

We can all agree that a car has killed (on purpose or accident)--
would a better analogy be that unless we are all Sebastian Vettels, maybe there is no reason to have a car that has, say... over 100 HP, or is bigger than a given measurement/ weight.
I feel confident that a good segment of Porsche owners don't spend any days at the track, and how many SUV's ever see any kind of dirt? This segment of 'owners' are not using the car to the fullest potential, similarly a guy who owns a fully auto any-kind-of-gun as a collector's piece is obviously not using the gun to it's fullest potential (with the possible exception of a monetary potential).

A blanketed "I do not, and can not understand why Joe American has....." is a statement that is nothing more than wasted air. Further, the statement was followed up with 'sure I could see a gun as SELF DEFENSE or hunting....' I say if you are going to 'self defense'-- you may as well do it in style....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
My point is that people want things, not because of the things 'potential'-- but because they CAN have them.

We can all agree that a car has killed (on purpose or accident)-
You can't buy and drive a big rig just because you want one, you need a CDL and there are various vehicles which are not road legal period so just like there are valid reasons for banning or restricting certain vehicles or vehicle configurations from the public, there are valid reasons to bar certain guns and other weapons from the public. Restrictive laws make sense on guns just as they do with cars, airplanes, and other regulated hazardous products.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

would a better analogy be that unless we are all Sebastian Vettels, maybe there is no reason to have a car that has, say... over 100 HP, or is bigger than a given measurement/ weight.
I feel confident that a good segment of Porsche owners don't spend any days at the track, and how many SUV's ever see any kind of dirt? This segment of 'owners' are not using the car to the fullest potential, similarly a guy who owns a fully auto any-kind-of-gun as a collector's piece is obviously not using the gun to it's fullest potential (with the possible exception of a monetary potential).

A blanketed "I do not, and can not understand why Joe American has....." is a statement that is nothing more than wasted air. Further, the statement was followed up with 'sure I could see a gun as SELF DEFENSE or hunting....' I say if you are going to 'self defense'-- you may as well do it in style....
Cars serve the purpose of transportation. The fact that people have died using them doesn't change their design purpose.

Guns are made for shooting. Nothing else. (queue mooshoo with some stupid 'but thissy here gun is made fer dekerashun!')

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
I will grant you that cars are made for transport, and guns are made for shooting, but I have to wonder-- is there a distinction among targets? I can see hunting as a (decent) 'reason' to have a gun, but not many other 'reasons' seem viable to me.

So, I wonder-- they are made for shooting-- shooting what exactly? And be careful, if you say people-- the BS argument 'if you outlaw guns, blah blah blah.....' actually holds some water-- in this case-- Guns ought to be outlawed-- after all their only reason for existence is killing other people.

If your answer is something other than people (since that is where the debate stems from-- people dying at the use of guns...) then your argument about the designed use of a given thing is invalid and bunk. You can't grant the automobile impunity because of it's intended use-- if shooting people is not the intended use of a gun-- Because, obviously, people die at the use of guns. To take a quote out of your book: 'The fact that people have died using them doesn't change their design purpose'-- guns should be granted the same 'grace' understanding that 'accidents happen'.

So, where does this leave us? (I am getting a little confused and not even sure what we are debating about-- I don't have a real clear destination-- as I don't give guns / gun control much thought-- to me they are just BS talking points for either side-- The NRA is a joke-- and Obama hasn't done a single thing to 'threaten' the 'legality' of legal gun ownership.--- the dance goes round and round, but nothing ever changes .)

//EDIT// Syadasti: Knee Jerkingly, I agree with your post-- but I get all bugged out trying to define the parameters for myself-- Realistically, it is just as easy to kill someone with a single shot pistol than it is easy to kill with an automatic uzzi kill everything in sight with 5000 rounds per second kind of gun. Sure the single shot will do less damage to other people and the surroundings-- but where are our mores and ethics if we concede our laws are good if only 1 person is killed, but bad if 5 or 6 or 100 are killed?

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I will grant you that cars are made for transport, and guns are made for shooting, but I have to wonder-- is there a distinction among targets? I can see hunting as a (decent) 'reason' to have a gun, but not many other 'reasons' seem viable to me.

So, I wonder-- they are made for shooting-- shooting what exactly? And be careful, if you say people-- the BS argument 'if you outlaw guns, blah blah blah.....' actually holds some water-- in this case-- Guns ought to be outlawed-- after all their only reason for existence is killing other people.

If your answer is something other than people (since that is where the debate stems from-- people dying at the use of guns...) then your argument about the designed use of a given thing is invalid and bunk. You can't grant the automobile impunity because of it's intended use-- if shooting people is not the intended use of a gun-- Because, obviously, people die at the use of guns. To take a quote out of your book: 'The fact that people have died using them doesn't change their design purpose'-- guns should be granted the same 'grace' understanding that 'accidents happen'.

So, where does this leave us? (I am getting a little confused and not even sure what we are debating about-- I don't have a real clear destination-- as I don't give guns / gun control much thought-- to me they are just BS talking points for either side-- The NRA is a joke-- and Obama hasn't done a single thing to 'threaten' the 'legality' of legal gun ownership.--- the dance goes round and round, but nothing ever changes .)
There's no need for an 'argument', you seem to keep yourself plenty entertained with your own babbling :rofl:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I do not, and cannot, understand why Joe American citizen needs a .50 cal sniper rifle, or a fully auto anything....

While I agree, JohnE, I have to play the devils advocate, and wonder about extending this qualification to other aspects of life. Perhaps, unless you are giving Atherton, or Gwin, or Peat a run for their money---maybe there is no real reason or justification for you to have a downhill bike.
C'mon now. How many DH bikes have been used to kill a police officer, a high school student, another human being?

Now the 50 caliber rifle is a funny gun to ban, considering so far there has never been a single crime associated with those rifles. But there have been plenty of full auto murders.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

This is a good question. Should cars be limited to 55mph? The answer is no, I think we can trust the populace not to slaughter when they go over the limit.

But you are proving my point why I am against the NRA.

I'm not against guns.
I'm not against gun ownership.

I am for moderate gun control. For example, I am strongly for background checks for private purchasers and better regulations at the gun shop. I was telling a friend about the DC Beltway shooters who actually stole their Bushmaster from a Tacoma gun shop.

But if it was up to the NRA, you could buy guns at the corner store. You are trying to drum up some fake debate about gun control.

Do you think felons should own guns? How about teenagers purchasing guns on their own? Armor piercing bullets?

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
But if it was up to the NRA, you could buy guns at the corner store. You are trying to drum up some fake debate about gun control.

Do you think felons should own guns? How about teenagers purchasing guns on their own? Armor piercing bullets?
What makes a bullet armor piercing?

I see the NRA stance on guns as being good, only in the fact that once a part of something gets banned it gains momentum and then the product as a whole will finally get banned.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I dont have an AR 15 clone...or a downhill bike. So I cant take pictures or kill anyone with either one. I do have an M4 assigned to me, but thats another story. I echo Sanjuro. Moderate gun control policies that are enforced are good. I see no reason why a law abiding citizen would fear a background check...and having things simply to have them smacks of American consumerism at its finest...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I see the NRA stance on guns as being good, only in the fact that once a part of something gets banned it gains momentum and then the product as a whole will finally get banned.
But they've done the exact opposite of that.....to the degree that their stance is that of frothing retards screaming 'all gunz, all the time, always!!!!'

They've lowered the level of debate into absolute idiocy and helped guarantee that people who literally should not have weapons have easy access to them.

One of the people shot in this mess is a good friend of a coworker

http://www.rgj.com/article/20111005/NEWS01/111005001/Carson-City-IHOP-shooter-fired-about-60-rounds-from-fully-automatic-rifle

There's no reason that assault rifles and their offspring need to be available to these assholes. But because of the NRA, they are and by golly they're gonna keep it that way.

"but I'm meerikkan I WANT it!!"

Please.

Grow up.

You're not defending yourself from the fvcking redcoats with that crap.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What makes a bullet armor piercing?

Well, considering the only ammo I bought is basic FMJ or JHP's, from my research on wiki, it looks like there are several rifle variants for armor piercing rounds.

Well, both you and the NRA are wrong about the "slippery slope", considering laws like the National Firearms Act of 1938 did not result in another major federal gun law until 30 years later, and even the Assault Weapons Ban was repealed.

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
SNIP I see no reason why a law abiding citizen would fear a background check...and having things simply to have them smacks of American consumerism at its finest...
Agreed and Agreed. But to the tin foil crowd, A simple background check is analog to rights being taken away... The whack jobs propose that if we allow any 'control' even in the slightest form, it is just the beginning of the slippery slope. Soon it will be all out denial of ANY rights.....

Re: the american consumerism comment-- that is why I quoted you as saying 'I don't and can not see why average joe american needs'...... (Insert any number of things here-- a giant SUV, A McDonalds on every corner, 32 and 40 and 60 Oz. Sodas from the local quick shop, etc, etc, etc...) is a complete waste of breath and air-- there is no rhyme or reason why my 'fellow countrymen' do what many of them do.... Hey I ain't perfect, but I do at least try to be cognizant of my impact on the local economy, the environment, my health, etc....

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Can anyone buy an RPG? Is it classified as something other than a gun?

Fully automatic guns should be banned, imho. I don't think it would help anything though. Criminals use a lot of illegally purchased or stolen weapons and I don't think you could reasonably confiscate the guns currently in circulation.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't think it would help anything though. Criminals use a lot of illegally purchased or stolen weapons and I don't think you could reasonably confiscate the guns currently in circulation.
Supply and demand still functions as normal. When they stop circulating a car, coin, bike, stamp, book, gun, etc the supply declines with time as they become non-functional for whatever reason. If there is a demand the price will go up according to scarcity, supply won't.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Criminals use a lot of illegally purchased or stolen weapons and I don't think you could reasonably confiscate the guns currently in circulation.
They use a lot of legally purchased guns too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/us/more-concealed-guns-and-some-are-in-the-wrong-hands.html?_r=1

More than 2,400 permit holders were convicted of felonies or misdemeanors, excluding traffic-related crimes, over the five-year period, The Times found when it compared databases of recent criminal court cases and licensees. While the figure represents a small percentage of those with permits, more than 200 were convicted of felonies, including at least 10 who committed murder or manslaughter. All but two of the killers used a gun.

More than 200 permit holders were also convicted of gun- or weapon-related felonies or misdemeanors, including roughly 60 who committed weapon-related assaults.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Supply and demand still functions as normal. When they stop circulating a car, coin, bike, stamp, book, gun, etc the supply declines with time as they become non-functional for whatever reason. If there is a demand the price will go up according to scarcity, supply won't.
All true, and guns need a supply of ammo, which could be halted.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I could get you an RPG...
(Just kidding, if Big Brother is watching!)

Fully auto weapons, IMHO, should be limited to military use only. Laying down a heavy base of fire for troops to manuever under, taking down low and slow aircraft, area denial and defense against light armored vehicels...their true purpose. If I was a bad guy, I want look for a mortar or other indirect fire weapons...

The NY Times article brings up intersting points, all very valid. But to me, what it comes down (Like many situations...) is properly enforcing the laws we have at this time. The events mentioned are all thoguht provoking, and were preventable had prior brushes with the law been allowed to influence the issuance of the concealed permits.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
And?

All those law abiding gun carrying upstanding citizens couldn't keep the streets safe? :D
Well, there was a ccw holder outside the Carson City IHOP, but he was afraid to pull his piece against a crazy man wielding an AK-47.

On the other hand, I bet the National Guardsmen would have fired back if they were carrying.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well, there was a ccw holder outside the Carson City IHOP, but he was afraid to pull his piece against a crazy man wielding an AK-47.
Yeah a lot of good that did.

Just like at the Gabby Giffords shooting.

I only put that link up because it shows that even drunk assholes can easily get their freedom palms stocked. And the NRA will defend their right to do so till they're blue in the face. (part of your argument in the op.....yes) The idea that all legally purchased guns are owned by upstanding, cool headed, responsible individuals is bullshlt. The first story in that article had some asshole SHOOTING AT THE HEAD of some guy just because he didn't like where he rode his bike. That's retarded. The penis supplements known as 'legally purchased firearms' give assholes an easy reason to be even bigger assholes.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Well, considering the only ammo I bought is basic FMJ or JHP's, from my research on wiki, it looks like there are several rifle variants for armor piercing rounds.

Well, both you and the NRA are wrong about the "slippery slope", considering laws like the National Firearms Act of 1938 did not result in another major federal gun law until 30 years later, and even the Assault Weapons Ban was repealed.
What is Armor?

Body armor? Armor plate used in cars?

Slippery slope, well it is a tired argument just like this whole thread, but the U.K. doesn't have guns but still has crime, so how do you make gun control really work?