Quantcast

Why I am against the NRA

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"For your sake I hope you are just trying to be cute creating strawmen to fight conjured from your prejudices about what you think a supporter of the Constitution thinks. Too bad for you it's so blatantly ignorant and demonstrative of immaturity of thought.
Oh wait, I'm supposed to take someone who scans the internet for this very topic so that they can engage people with whom he has nothing in common, and has been doing this for almost 20 years, claims to want a "serious discussion" then two sentences later uses great phrases like 'leftist ignorance' for anything more than the kind of sad joke that they are?

Keep up the good fight man. We'll be back in the 1800s in no time.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its a good thing the professionals all had guns when facing the dangerous assailant armed with a pellet gun otherwise the agent might still be alive....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You guys do wear helmets when you ride don't you?
Sorry, I was attempting subtlety, my bad guys.

I'll try again:

Randomly joining discussions on forums without paying attention to the nature/subject of the website is arguing without context or a reference point. It's like walking up to a small group of strangers at a grocery store and jumping into their conversation. You have know prior knowledge of the people you engage, thus leaving you without context.

Or, even less subtle :

You're from New Jersey so you're an idiot.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I still can't imagine this guy is real. Especially with the picture and personal story on a mountain bike forum. And I really don't understand the desire to argue with people that you have nothing in common with. I don't agree with all of dante and kidwoo's political beliefs, but I'd like to think that I could go for a bike ride with them and disregard the political banter.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I still can't imagine this guy is real. Especially with the picture and personal story on a mountain bike forum. And I really don't understand the desire to argue with people that you have nothing in common with. I don't agree with all of dante and kidwoo's political beliefs, but I'd like to think that I could go for a bike ride with them and disregard the political banter.
Not if you ride a 29er

If I can swear off MikeD, I can shun anyone :D

I'm still going with either paid by the NRA or similiar........or really just that pathetic.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Not if you ride a 29er
I allow a little leeway if you're over 6'5.

And if you're one of those 5'1 women who had to get a 29er because all the cool kids have one, you're ok too, because you're ****ing hilarious looking. What's your next upgrade, a penny farthing?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
29ers are perfect for smaller people whose technical skill will never get beyond plow and pray. Don't mean that as an insult either, if it gets people off their asses and onto bikes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
29ers are perfect for smaller people whose technical skill will never get beyond plow and pray. Don't mean that as an insult either, if it gets people off their asses and onto bikes.
When did this turn into a 29er thread?

I have a contradictory opinion about this too.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Not to put the conversation back on subject, but I'm sure a darky being in charge has nothing to do with it:
As the National Rifle Association sets its sights on keeping President Barack Obama from a second term in the White House, a new report finds that the group’s fundraising grew twice as fast as its income from membership dues from 2004 to 2010. Bloomberg News reported that the group received $71.1 million in donations last year, up 54 percent from the $46.3 million figure they raised in 2004.

If previous numbers are any indication, election years are pretty crucial for the NRA. Their revenue minus expenses went from $29,923,548 in 2008 — when the man they called “Gun Ban Obama” was running for president — to $1,183,523 in 2009, when he actually took office (their total revenue decreased by just over $10 million).

Bloomberg’s report also found inconsistencies in the amount of money the NRA said they gave to four recipients, a potential violation that could subject the organization to fines of $100 a day. NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre wouldn’t agree to an interview with Bloomberg News, with a spokesman telling the reporters the NRA “will not participate in agenda journalism driven by a news organization owned by an avowed enemy of the Second Amendment — a politician who has been aggressively working against the interests of the NRA, our members and the nation’s gun owners for years.” Bloomberg LP, the parent company of Bloomberg News, is principally owned by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a supporter of gun control laws. (Bloomberg LP says Mayor Bloomberg hasn’t had a hand in the day-to-day operations of the news company in a decade.)

A crucial part of the organization’s strategy is to convince donors that their Second Amendment rights are in immediate jeopardy — former NRA chief Ray Arnet said that any special interest group is kept alive “by nurturing the crisis atmosphere.” That puts the NRA in a tough spot: the Obama administration has been inactive on gun control (in fact, they’ve expanded gun rights) and with Republicans likely to keep control of the House there’s no looming threat they can point to. So the NRA’s Wayne LaPierre has suggested that the Obama administration’s failure to touch gun control is actually part of a long term scheme to get reelected so he can crack down on guns. Leaders of the organization have floated, and some members of Congress have adopted, the far-fetched theory that the Obama administration allowed guns to “walk” into Mexico during Operation Fast and Furious to create the political will to impose stricter limits on guns.

Fast and Furious, the flawed operation in which ATF agents instructed gun dealers to allow individuals they suspected were straw purchasers to purchase weapons that later ended up at crime scenes including at the location where a border patrol agent was murdered, appears to be a way for the NRA to raise money this year. The NRA is asking supporters to donate to help the organization run a video that shows “how Eric Holder’s lies are destroying freedom and costing lives.”
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/12/nras_fundraising_growing_fast_as_they_gear_up_to_defeat_obama.php

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
john allen *mohammad*
[e: and lee boyd malvo, also black]

:think:

i'm starting to see a pattern here

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
no, pointing out when the shooters are black/muslim, it's terrorism

new life church shooter from a few years back [white] popped a few in denver & came down here where he eventually off'd himself after being wounded by jeanne assam (also having a curiously sounding muslim name - but she's lily white).

he was on a spree, however; not terrorism

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

new life church shooter from a few years back [white] popped a few in denver & came down here where he eventually off'd himself after being wounded by jeanne assam (also having a curiously sounding muslim name - but she's lily white).

Ahh....missed what you were saying.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
If one person in the viewing audience had a gun on them, they could have SAVED LIVES by shooting the shooter.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If one person in the viewing audience had a gun on them, they could have SAVED LIVES by shooting the shooter.
true.

also true is they could have shot a few more other people.

crossfire much?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
considering:
- poor visibility further hampered by tear gas
- dynamic background
- bad guys not certain
- panic/pandemonium

i think justifying opening fire in a very crowded theater in order to get the bad guy(s) while not getting civilians/allies would be a very difficult task even a trained professional would struggle to succeed at

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
And if pigs could fly we would all need umbrellas.

considering:
- poor visibility further hampered by tear gas
- dynamic background
- bad guys not certain
- panic/pandemonium

i think justifying opening fire in a very crowded theater in order to get the bad guy(s) while not getting civilians/allies would be a very difficult task even a trained professional would struggle to succeed at
Seriously. In all likelihood this imaginary rambo could barely hit the broad side of a barn in broad daylight like this internet cafe "hero",
never mind in a crowded theater filled with smoke, screaming people and a movie playing on a gigantic screen.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

Spree it is:

The University of Colorado confirmed that Holmes was in the process of withdrawing from the university's graduate program in neurosciences. Holmes enrolled at the university in June 2011.

Read more: 12 killed, 50 wounded at Aurora movie theater - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21118201/unknown-number-people-shot-at-aurora-movie-theater#ixzz21BKbZNcT
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
lulz.
Editor's Note: An earlier ABC News broadcast report suggested that a Jim Holmes of a Colorado Tea Party organization might be the suspect, but that report was incorrect. ABC News and Brian Ross apologize for the mistake, and for disseminating that information before it was properly vetted.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
yes, yes, b/c dark knight rises' soundtrack was done by the mississippi massacre choir

or was is POD...or AILD...?