Quantcast

why I can't watch soccer...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
As much as I've enjoyed watching the World Cup the amount of diving, cheating, corruption and outright arseholeness in soccer is far greater than in any other sport.

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
valve bouncer said:
As much as I've enjoyed watching the World Cup the amount of diving, cheating, corruption and outright arseholeness in soccer is far greater than in any other sport.

Its called FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
This is the general impression that most Americans get of the game. They see the diving and crying that goes on and miss/cant appreciate the rest of it. Didnt think anything could make me happy to se France win...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
valve bouncer said:
soccer is great (if you like men hugging)

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
JohnE said:
This is the general impression that most Americans get of the game. They see the diving and crying that goes on and miss/cant appreciate the rest of it. Didnt think anything could make me happy to se France win...
check ya PMs ya pisshead...

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
ukjason said:
Its called SOCCER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:
Heh, you can call it what you want but we already have football and it's barely more interesting than soccer. Personally I like biking in part because I DON'T like traditional ball sports. :rolleyes:

j/k I can't resist the chance to poke at a football fan.:rofl:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Anyone find it amusing that american 'football' is a sport where the ball is handled primarily with your hands?

Leave it to the americans to coin up that one. :P

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
atrokz said:
Anyone find it amusing that american 'football' is a sport where the ball is handled primarily with your hands?

Leave it to the americans to coin up that one. :P
wow. did you think that all up?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Christ, I got one minute into that clip and couldn't take any more.

JohnE said:
This is the general impression that most Americans get of the game. They see the diving and crying that goes on and miss/cant appreciate the rest of it.
I consider myself an avid U.S. sports fan with a pretty broad knowledge base and this is EXACTLY how I feel.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BTW, in NFL football you'd get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct for that kind of crap. Not to mention the BEATDOWN you'd get from opposing players.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It seems the Portugese all have some kind of inner ear problem. They must not have coffee tables in Portugal, it tends to weed out such genitcs in the toddler years.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I Are Baboon said:
BTW, in NFL football you'd get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct for that kind of crap. Not to mention the BEATDOWN you'd get from opposing players.
with a decent referee they would have gotten get a yellow card for that.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i can't sit in front of the television long enough to even begin to watch it.

same with the tour.
maybe when they hit the alps.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
valve bouncer said:
And that's just the Italians! :rofl:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
next WC they really need to issue yellow (and red) cards after the game. have officials review the game, and if there's flagrant diving or any other unsportsmanlike conduct, issue a yellow/red card. wouldn't affect the game that was just played, but would have an impact on future games....

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
dante said:
next WC they really need to issue yellow (and red) cards after the game. have officials review the game, and if there's flagrant diving or any other unsportsmanlike conduct, issue a yellow/red card. wouldn't affect the game that was just played, but would have an impact on future games....
:stupid: yep, good idea.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
dante said:
Don't forget to fine them too!
It should be sliding scale. So for example when the black guy fell to the ground when no one was with in 3 feet of him ($) then rolled around in agony ($$) then hobbled off the field in "obvious" pain ($$$). And so forth and so on...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
fluff said:
Here's a good site with tables of which teams dive and cheat the most (among other stats):
http://www.informationbuilders.co.uk/ontheball/wcuk.htm

Hahahaha...that is cool. I like the IBI Foul Play Index and am not surprised to see Italy and Paraguay leading the charge with 40 and 45 points respectively. Having played house, all-star and traveling select squad for many years as a youth, I truly enjoy and appreciate the game. I have cheered at Ajaxstadion in Amsterdam and at RFK during the World Cup's visit to the States. Hell, I used to go to old Washington Diplomats professional matches at RFK before the MLS even existed...you know- where both Johan Cruyff and Bobby Stokes were ultimately put out to pasture.

The dramatic license taken by some "players" during dives and other injury/gamesmanship theatrics- all for the purpose of cajoling a set piece or booking from a gullible official- is the single biggest complaint I hear when trying to turn fellow 'mericans onto European Football. If they haven't already given up on the game by that point, they certainly do once the "magic spray" is produced by a sidelines trainer and they witness for themselves the miracle of instant resuscitation and recovery by players immobilized and writhing on a stretcher mere seconds before. Once a soccer neophyte witnesses THAT bit of dubious drama, I start getting the raised-eyebrow looks that must be commonly exchanged during professional wrestling events. :rolleyes:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Re: diving - If I had to run my ass of for 90+ minutes, you can get your @ss that I'd want to take a dive and grab a brief rest. You know, get a quick stretcher ride, grab a drink, and maybe even a Gu. Unlike every other professional sport in America, soccer has no breaks or timeouts. Cut the guys some slack already...geezus!

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
llkoolkeg said:
Hahahaha...that is cool. I like the IBI Foul Play Index and am not surprised to see Italy and Paraguay leading the charge with 40 and 45 points respectively. Having played house, all-star and traveling select squad for many years as a youth, I truly enjoy and appreciate the game. I have cheered at Ajaxstadion in Amsterdam and at RFK during the World Cup's visit to the States. Hell, I used to go to old Washington Diplomats professional matches at RFK before the MLS even existed...you know- where both Johan Cruyff and Bobby Stokes were ultimately put out to pasture.

The dramatic license taken by some "players" during dives and other injury/gamesmanship theatrics- all for the purpose of cajoling a set piece or booking from a gullible official- is the single biggest complaint I hear when trying to turn fellow 'mericans onto European Football. If they haven't already given up on the game by that point, they certainly do once the "magic spray" is produced by a sidelines trainer and they witness for themselves the miracle of instant resuscitation and recovery by players immobilized and writhing on a stretcher mere seconds before. Once a soccer neophyte witnesses THAT bit of dubious drama, I start getting the raised-eyebrow looks that must be commonly exchanged during professional wrestling events. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the magic sponge too. That cures even the worst of injuries.

Speaking of DC's pro teams, your forgetting the Washington Stars. I remember watching them at random High School fields and a NOVA campus in Fairfax growing up. There was one big name (national team caps leader until the mid-90's, I want to say Murray?) on the team. They were fun as a youngin, and NCAA games at U of Richmond's campus.