Quantcast

why I hate St. Patrick's Day!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Actually, I hate all holidays that celebrate ethnic heritage. You should only be allowed to celebrate if you actually have that ethnicity as part of your lineage.

#1 - I'm sick of frat boys parading around in green shirts and floppy green hats saying stupid catch phrases "kiss me I'm Irish" or "Hey baby, do you have an Irish in you? Do you want some in you?" while stumbling around like 15 year olds who have just discovered booze. You want some Irish in you? I'll give it to you the traditional way, buy punching you in the face.

#2 - Corned beef isn't even Irish. It was originally consumed by Irish American families in the 1800's as a cheap alternative to back bacon.

#3 - St Patty's day is actually a religious holiday in Ireland (and most other parts of the world) and is a celebration of the Patron Saint (you guessed it) Patrick. America bastardized it and its now associated with getting drunk. True Irish folk do indeed have a holiday they celebrate by getting drunk. And its not St. Patty's Day. Its everyday.

#4 - How'd you like it if other people went around "pretending" they were another ethnicity on holidays that celebrate heritage? I can only imagine what the outcome would be if during February (Black History Month), I ran around in black face and a pair of pants made from burlap held up by a rope, eating collard greens, drinking cheap 40's, and smoking Newports.

Last edited:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
if during February (Black History Month), I ran around in black face and a pair of pants made from burlap held up by a rope, eating collared greens, drinking cheap 40's, and smoking Newports.
I think you're on to something...

throw some chicken and purple drank in there and I'm in!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
"collard greens"...

Collared greens would be the frat boys with popped collars...

I've always wanted to celebrate Kwanza the old fashion way...but there just aren't any wooden ships sailing west bound on the Atlantic that time of the year anymore...

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
#4 - How'd you like it if other people went around "pretending" they were another ethnicity on holidays that celebrate heritage? I can only imagine what the outcome would be if during February (Black History Month), I ran around in black face and a pair of pants made from burlap held up by a rope, eating collared greens, drinking cheap 40's, and smoking Newports.
:clapping:

I may go to hell for laughing at that, but that was the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
#2 - Corned beef isn't even Irish. It was originally consumed by Irish American families in the 1800's as a cheap alternative to back bacon.
It's still good w/ cabbage! Corned beef reminds me of me. Tough, a little fatty, salty and causes other people to have indigestion.

Yep, if I were a meat, I'd be corned beef!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's still good w/ cabbage! Corned beef reminds me of me. Tough, a little fatty, salty and causes other people to have indigestion.

Yep, if I were a meat, I'd be corned beef!
don't get me wrong, I love corned beef & cabbage too (I'm eating some as I type this in fact), but its very NOT Irish.

and :rofl: at the purple drank comment

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Wow...jk, a little angry this morning, are you?
As an Irish/American, it doesnt bother me that one day a year every other idiot wants to be me.
And yeah, I laughed my ass off...funny and angry, a dangerous combo!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As an Irish/American, it doesnt bother me that one day a year every other idiot wants to be me.
haha not angry at all. Just some satire to contrast all the "Oh its st pattys day lets get drunk hurr hurr" threads. FWIW I have a strong Scotch-Irish heritage myself. Now lets get pissed!

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I wish there was a German and a Russian holiday to celebrate my heritage, beer and vodka respectively. I hate the stupid American version of St. Patrick's day too.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I'm Irish, really Irish actually.
all my Dad's side and half my Mom's. St. Patty's day is focking gay. Every year on the Sunday before St. Patty's there is a huge parade in Buffalo for the frat boys, guidos, pollocks and the occasional negro to feel Irish, that is gay too.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I wish there was a German and a Russian holiday to celebrate my heritage, beer and vodka respectively. I hate the stupid American version of St. Patrick's day too.
Oktoberfest?

Can't help you with a Russian Holiday but I am sure there is one.

The Pollocks here in a Buffalo celebrate Dyngus day every year, it is almost as big as St. Patty's Day without the big stupid parade. The Polish bars open up at 8am they are packed with drunks running around with pussy willow and silly $hit like that. According to wiki the world's largest celebration is here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Monday

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
Actually, I hate all holidays that celebrate ethnic heritage. You should only be allowed to celebrate if you actually have that ethnicity as part of your lineage.

#4 - How'd you like it if other people went around "pretending" they were another ethnicity on holidays that celebrate heritage? I can only imagine what the outcome would be if during February (Black History Month), I ran around in black face and a pair of pants made from burlap held up by a rope, eating collard greens, drinking cheap 40's, and smoking Newports.
I agree.

#4... Cinco de Mayo... Never seen so many people want to be Mexican.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Now... lets see... what other ethnic groups could I offend?

Boxing Day... I'll dress up like a Canadian Mounty, eat only ham and french fries with gravy, wear a coonskin cap, say "eh" after every sentence, and blast celine dion from my horse.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Now... lets see... what other ethnic groups could I offend?

Boxing Day... I'll dress up like a Canadian Mounty, eat only ham and french fries with gravy, wear a coonskin cap, say "eh" after every sentence, and blast celine dion from my horse.
You will also have to be called, wayne, garth or bruce for the day.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I'm German-Jew, Scotch-Irish, Cherokee & British. WTF can I celebrate?

But really though. I feel ya. St. Patty's day is amateur hour. Plus guiness sucks donkey dick (i am sure it is better in Ireland) but the nitrogen injected crap we get over here is bland & tasteless.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm Irish, really Irish actually.
all my Dad's side and half my Mom's. St. Patty's day is focking gay. Every year on the Sunday before St. Patty's there is a huge parade in Buffalo for the frat boys, guidos, pollocks and the occasional negro to feel Irish, that is gay too.
It used to be better when it started in the First Ward and went down South Park instead that silly thing on Delaware ave. In fact that the last time I attended the Buffalo Gay Men's Choir marched in it and sang Danny Boy.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm German-Jew, Scotch-Irish, Cherokee & British. WTF can I celebrate?

But really though. I feel ya. St. Patty's day is amateur hour. Plus guiness sucks donkey dick (i am sure it is better in Ireland) but the nitrogen injected crap we get over here is bland & tasteless.
Guinness only sucks here in the states because of an FDA regulation that mandates it be pasteurized for importation.

Jon, if it makes you feel any better (related to your #4), I once saw 2 black kids in whiteface on Halloween a few years back!

That's AWESOME!!!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
It used to be better when it started in the First Ward and went down South Park instead that silly thing on Delaware ave. In fact that the last time I attended the Buffalo Gay Men's Choir marched in it and sang Danny Boy.....
They still do that parade too, I think it was Saturday.

i'm going out to drink some brews at a bar tonight with my wife but we will be there to watch hockey not to celebrate St. Pat's day.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Bars here opened at 6am. While I could start drinking then I wouldn't continue all day. I bet there will be tons of puke on the streets tomorrow morning.

What is up with all the kilts too? They are f'n scottish not Irish.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
They still do that parade too, I think it was Saturday.

i'm going out to drink some brews at a bar tonight with my wife but we will be there to watch hockey not to celebrate St. Pat's day.
Ottawa tonight stay away from Morissey's it will be a cluster Phug

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Hmmm, this sounds familiar...

Even when I was drinking I hated the commercialization of it, amateur night. I stayed out of the pub unless I was bouncing that night.