Quantcast

Why I think Zeigeist the Movie is BS

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, one of my friends pushes it in my face all the time, but I couldn't be bothered watching it until one of the teens at the bike shop out of the blue asked me what I thought of the Federal Reserve Bank.

I knew right away my friend had been spewing on this kid, so I started watching it, starting with the Federal Reserve section.

In the first minute, this quote was used:

The refusal of King George to allow the colonies to operate on an honest, colonial money system, which freed the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, was probably the prime cause of the revolution.
I looked it up in wikiquote, and it is misattributed to Ben Franklin. This is the entry:

Some of the statement might be derived from those made during his examination by the British Parliament in February 1766, published in "The Examination of Benjamin Franklin" in The Parliamentary History of England from the Earliest Period to the Year 1803‎ (1813); when questioned why Parliament had lost respect among the people of the Colonies, he answered: "To a concurrence of causes: the restraints lately laid on their trade, by which the bringing of foreign gold and silver into the Colonies was prevented; the prohibition of making paper money among themselves, and then demanding a new and heavy tax by stamps; taking away, at the same time, trials by juries, and refusing to receive and hear their humble petitions."

I knew that statement was fake because I was like, "Money Manipulators"? Colonials didn't use that word. And according to my etymology research, it wasn't used in that way until 40 years after Franklin's death.

Really, Zeigeist has cool graphics and a stern voice, but I've done more research this morning that the whole thing.

I made the point of the kid that I don't know anything about the Federal Reserve, but neither does my friend. All he did was watch a poorly documented movie.

Last edited:

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007

Beside the quote, what else did you think of the Federal Reserve section?
also it's Zeitgeist

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
2 yrs ago, i lost a friend over this movie

i thought b/c we were friends, i could openly mock his approval for such a scattered arbitrary presentation of unrelated "facts"

shows what i know.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Even though its worse then a Michael Moore movie, I do find parts of it very interesting...
I think the fact that you (Sanjuro) actually took the time to do some "research" on this subject makes the movie succeed in its goals. I think this is probably the main goal of this movie to start with.
The author(s) is/are probably well aware of the fact that you grab peoples attention these days by over doing it a little and in the end hopefully, some of it sticks.

Too bad that most people who are a bit more serious about this stuff lose interest because of this very tactic.

Call it BS all you want but at least people are actually thinking about this stuff more after seeing the movie.
Im not saying all of it is true, but its never bad to be critical about this kind of ****.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Even though its worse then a Michael Moore movie, I do find parts of it very interesting...
I think the fact that you (Sanjuro) actually took the time to do some "research" on this subject makes the movie succeed in its goals. I think this is probably the main goal of this movie to start with.
The author(s) is/are probably well aware of the fact that you grab peoples attention these days by over doing it a little and in the end hopefully, some of it sticks.

Too bad that most people who are a bit more serious about this stuff lose interest because of this very tactic.

Call it BS all you want but at least people are actually thinking about this stuff more after seeing the movie.
Im not saying all of it is true, but its never bad to be critical about this kind of ****.
Well if we're going to follow that sort of logic, it's probably safe to say that FOX News creates insightful conversation, learning, and a positive step forward for society :rolleyes:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Well if we're going to follow that sort of logic, it's probably safe to say that FOX News creates insightful conversation, learning, and a positive step forward for society :rolleyes:
Point taken, I didnt mean to say the movie was made just to get people to investigate stuff after seeing it.
They also exaggerate quite a bit to the point where at least some of it sticks.

That said, Fox news is for the big masses and is seen by a slightly different crowd and is watched in a slightly different context then a movie like Zeitgheist.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

That's like saying, I was told a lie when I was a child, and I spent my entire life trying to prove it.

I now have definitive proof that Santa Claus does not exist.