Quantcast

why in the hell do so many 20 inch riders not wear helmets?

why dont 20 inchers wear helmets?

• cause they are dumb

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • cause they like wheel chairs

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • cuase they were born without brains so who cares anyway

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • id hit it

Votes: 25 42.4%

• Total voters

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Here's my input.

I personaly wear a helemt because I never know what might happen during a wreck. As I have progressed as a rider I almost never wear leg/shin/knee or elbow armor anymore while I dirt jump and for the most part I don't wear my full face either. I have become a better rider and wrecker in such that I usually don't need those for protection. However I always wear a helemt. In the two or so years that I have been dirt jumping I have wrecked once bad enough to hit my head and I think at worse I would have gotten a slight concusion. But to me wearing the helemt is worth the over heating and messed up hair. :rolleyes: To ME my noodle is too important.

What I don't like is the little kids who don't know how to wreck that don't wear helemts because the "big" kids don't. You may not want to be a role model, but you probably are and don't know it.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
None of the answers really fits. Most of the street riders I've ever talked with are fairly young, and that's it in a nutshell. Young, feeling invulnerable and worried about looks and image. I was the same way until I took a nasty spill(that I still can't figure out how happened), smashed my melon and had to go home seeing spots. The side of my head swelled up like crazy and I fell asleep wearing an ice-filled tam. Within days, the subcutaneous bleeding caused my hair to fall out in a patch and I feel lucky to have gotten away with only that. It took months to grow back in.

You will never be able to convince someone to ride with a helmet. They make you look like either a phallus or a displaced MXer and it's just not cool. 20"ers are very much like skateboarders in that image is very important. If you were looking to protect yourself with your apparal, you certainly wouldn't wear saggin' baggies with a chain dangling out the back. You might as well just live and let live. They will continue to laugh at you for your goofy garb and you will continue to wring your hands over their safety concerns. Given time, most will either injure themselves, get tired of no-helmet tickets from da man or mature to the point that they don't care so much about projecting a cool image. It took me until age 30 to do so, and everyone grows at their own pace.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I remember the last time I hit my head on the ground.

last tuesday.
you know it's a good wreck when you have scabs on your back.
:D

I was doing a simple manual on a curb. my front end dropped and landed in soft dirt on the other side of the curb. it was on a slight hill and I was pitched over the bars landing on my head, shoulder and back. it's my shoulder that really hurts though.

I learned manuals probably 15 years ago.......how's the saying go?
"sh1t happens" or something like that?

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Originally posted by Sideways
Is there some bicycle brotherhood that all riders need to be clued into? Do you wave and say howdy to your fellow road riders when they zipp by?
Ever think that someone might be a little more focused on riding than mingling with random people on the street
Hmmm this is Facking funny as hell.... Why? Why you ask?

Well lets see here's something to think about when someone (not picking on bmxr's here.. just bikers/skaters/whatever in general) cruises by you and we all know we are out doing some kind of "urban" type riding we just nod.. not saying you have to stop and bullsheit with me or anything, just a nod.

If you feel it's not necessary then you are just as facking bad as the rest of the world. We all are part of it, and being what we do riding we need some sort of community to keep it all together if they want to get rid of us.... anyways..... if you think you are better than the next person and you are so into riding.. um don't forget why you got into riding in the first place or who got you into it... probably someone already riding a bike that was nice enough to take you out with them.

So back to my point... you act like a jackass(ignoring the nod or hey) and then later on that night you are going to hit a huge rail not wearing your facking helmet cause you got so many "skills" as you put it and all of a sudden something goes wrong, a chainbrakes you miss the rail and BAMB your head smacks the granite surface waiting 15 feet below where you left. And of course I'm right there... guess who's problem that could become.. MINE.. well to bad, you expect me to acknoledge you just because you are on the ground bleeding from the head? Nope sorry.. there isn't a "brotherhood" as you call it, so WTF is the point of stopping? The rest of society wouldn't so why should I? Oh wait is this where you tell me that it's cause we all ride? Nah, sorry that wasn't good enough before when you were actually upright.. so forget it now...

Ok, enough of that.. my point being I care enough for my fellow cyclists be it who ever they are and if or if they don't wear a helmet to nod or say hey.. and stop when they get hurt... it's happend, I have held a bmxr's head together with blood covering both of my hands and pooring out on the granite walkway after that accedent above I described happend... we are all there for eachother man.. so just next time give a freakin nod or hey and remember we at some point will help eachother out in one way or another.... :thumb:

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Who cares. As long as the next dud isn't endangering me, I really don't care what he or she is wearing. Let 'em crack their noggin open like an egg. Won't change a damn thing for me, I'll always have my helmet on and I'll have a far less chance ending up like a vegetable from biking. I like the sound of that - anything to keep me from being a veggy.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I believe in letting people do as people do. I don't care if you want to or not but if you want to ride with me you will have a helmet.
Some of my crashes happen in a parking lot riding in circles. Yeah, I just stuck that 15 stair gap but it happens when your not paying attention. I once cared about looking cool. Now I'm 24 and other than impressing the ladies :thumb: I don't care what some douche i just rode by says about my helmet.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by RUYORK

It's just that the new generation is getting "soft". NOBODY wore a helmet when I started with BMX's as a kid (in the street).

Only the strong survive and natural selection is in effect. All men should show their masculinity and wearing those helmets does not make it happen.

If you "need" a helmet, you shouldn't be on a bike...

Yeah, your more of a man than i'll ever be. Only the strong and walking survive. Just read your own statements and tell me what you think?
"All men should show their masculinity and wearing those helmets does not make it happen".
How old are you and do you have any education?
Oh if I only I didn't need this helmet would i be able to show my masculinity. Maybe one day you'll grow up. Like echo said come to plattekill with no helmet see how you feel. I rode all weekend no crashes, does this mean i don't need a helmet? No it means i didn't need it this time.
Whatever enjoy the ride.

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Originally posted by Lexx D
Yeah, your more of a man than i'll ever be. Only the strong and walking survive. Just read your own statements and tell me what you think?
"All men should show their masculinity and wearing those helmets does not make it happen".
How old are you and do you have any education?
Oh if I only I didn't need this helmet would i be able to show my masculinity. Maybe one day you'll grow up. Like echo said come to plattekill with no helmet see how you feel. I rode all weekend no crashes, does this mean i don't need a helmet? No it means i didn't need it this time.
Whatever enjoy the ride.
hehe. I love getting a rise... I knew it was bound to happen. :devil:

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Oh if I only I didn't need this helmet would i be able to show my masculinity.
Stand up with your c@ck out while riding with no hands. That should be enough for a start. Wear your pink helmet also.

If I were to go to plattekill, I would wear a helmet. You need to relax. I'm talking about those riding on paved trails or in the street where there are no cars.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Stand up with your c@ck out while riding with no hands. That should be enough for a start. Wear your pink helmet also.

If I were to go to plattekill, I would wear a helmet. You need to relax. I'm talking about those riding on paved trails or in the street where there are no cars.
Yeah paved trails too. I'm about as relaxed as I could be at work. I just figure what if something breaks (ex:handle bar) Nothing you did caused the crash but you had a failure. I want a helmet for that one. It's cool gotta protect that NYC image I understand. :cool:
Have fun riding maybe I'll pass you standing up, no hands with my pink helmet and........did i just catch you looking at my c@ck:D

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Yeah paved trails too. I'm about as relaxed as I could be at work. I just figure what if something breaks (ex:handle bar) Nothing you did caused the crash but you had a failure. I want a helmet for that one. It's cool gotta protect that NYC image I understand. :cool:
Have fun riding maybe I'll pass you standing up, no hands with my pink helmet and........did i just catch you looking at my c@ck:D
You got it Lexx. Just remember...

Keep the c@ck out when necessary. ;)

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
You got it Lexx. Just remember...

Keep the c@ck out when necessary. ;)
Yeah now i'm confused. You say this and then pm me saying "you got a problem". I'm not sure how to answer this.......sure you?:confused: What are doing picking a fight with me or something.

Your box was full so i figured I'd ask you here.

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Yeah now i'm confused. You say this and then pm me saying "you got a problem". I'm not sure how to answer this.......sure you?:confused: What are doing picking a fight with me or something.

Your box was full so i figured I'd ask you here.
Sorry... That was one of the gnomes I have in my basement. One escaped and got to my computer.

They do that from time to time. I don't let them out too much. Sorry.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I think most young BMXers don't wear helmets because they live at home with mommy and daddy, who have health insurance that will cover them when they get hurt.
Sometimes safety gear is used as a precaution for those of us who have to work for a living. Get hurt, can't work, can't pay the bills, now what?

Oops, yeah that was me jumping the 13 stair stair gap downtown on my xc bike with no helmet on, a broken wrist, and 10 lbs of crap in my camelback. That was bad judgement, but I did do it super clean.

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Originally posted by TWISTED
Oops, yeah that was me jumping the 13 stair stair gap downtown on my xc bike with no helmet on, a broken wrist, and 10 lbs of crap in my camelback. That was bad judgement, but I did do it super clean.
Awesome! It sucks about the wrist though.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Awesome! It sucks about the wrist though.
Hurt the wrist at the skatepark on my ss street mtb. You should see the stair gaps I do on my DH bike in "jib 2" , wearing a helmet. of course.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by JimmyTwoTimes
Who cares. As long as the next dud isn't endangering me, I really don't care what he or she is wearing. Let 'em crack their noggin open like an egg. Won't change a damn thing for me, I'll always have my helmet on and I'll have a far less chance ending up like a vegetable from biking. I like the sound of that - anything to keep me from being a veggy.
What about medical costs when that person injures their head. Part of you medical insurance goes to pay for them. :rolleyes:

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
And the increase in head injuries drives insurance rates up. So you end up paying.

I don't get it:confused: put a helmet on and ride what's the problem. Maybe some people don't want to mess up that sexy mullet:D If I wear a helmet it decreases my chances of being a lump of flesh in the hospital with no brain waves. I'll take that over image and fashion any day.
"oh he looks so good with his brains on the sidewalk":D

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
And the increase in head injuries drives insurance rates up. So you end up paying.

I don't get it:confused: put a helmet on and ride what's the problem. Maybe some people don't want to mess up that sexy mullet:D If I wear a helmet it decreases my chances of being a lump of flesh in the hospital with no brain waves. I'll take that over image and fashion any day.
Its so pretty im going to cry man, Well Done.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Riding brakeless has been a growing trend for a couple years now. I'm so sick of people crashing in to me at the park because they can't stop... I don't worry about the helmet thing so much, but this is an issue I can get behind!

*ahem* Spend a few years figuring out how to control yourself and your bike before you start removing bits from your bike because you're following the latest trend. Thankyougoodnight.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny

i honestly doubt that bmxers who fall on their heads and werent wearing helmets over the years have made any significant impact on insurence rates.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Originally posted by offdawalley
hey, lets just all be b****'s againgst bmx'er, I mean, EVERY SINGLE BMXER RIDES WITHOUT A HELEMET AND THEY ARE ALL PUNKS!
seriously, what the hell are you talking about. seek therapy, freshman

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Riding brakeless is just like riding without a helmet on...sh*t happens. You never know when you'll need a bucket and/or brakes. I don't care whether you're the best street/park/dj rider in the world, you're going to make mistakes. And unless you're a god, there's going to be human-error involved; not discluding mechanical malfunctions, and other factors that are out of your control.

Oh, and RUYORK, your reasoning for not wearing a helmet makes no sense. You said you ride like a 'jackass' in manhattan, so why not wear a helmet? Is it because like you said, it makes you less masculine?:rolleyes: I don't know about you, but I don't ride my bike because I want to look masculine. I ride because I enjoy riding. Also, the thing that gets me the most is your comment saying 'if you need a helmet, you shouldn't be on a bike'. That's just rediculous.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i only read the first page of this but it was all stated there

its your head. your choice.

if your uncomfortable riding with someone who doesn't wear a lid then its your problem, and if someone wrecks they wreck...lid or no lid injuries happen..and you have do deal

i never hit my head...yet i wear a helmet cause i have been since i was young so i am used to it and its odd riding without one though a fullface at the dj's is not good..the extra weight and sight restriction suck...

oh and i think like stated most bmxer's don't hit there heads..so no lid and yet most of them have shin guards...protect what needs it..

tuck and roll!!

Sep 17, 2003
why is anyone really concerned about someone elses decision?

it is that persons decision weather or not to wear a brain bucket.

mind your own business and let each person be responsible for the decisions they make.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
well hate to burst all you helmet wearing peeps bubbles, but wearing a helmet is no guarantee you won't **** your head up if you fall on it. my buddy down in florida pulling a table over a hip fell (with a helmet on) got 12 stitches just above the hair line and a mild concussion. so what if i'm wearing a helmet and land on my face? should i have been wearing a full face helmet for street? i'm 32, i don't wear a helmet for street or any park that doesn't require one. i could give a **** less about "image". also i rode mtb's for years so i definetly respect that scene, but i've been riding street and gave the "nod" to mtbers and got **** back. does that mean that if i saw that dude on the street bleeding that i would just ride by? **** no and to who ever said they would, **** you. you're an asshole no matter what size bike you are riding. it would be one thing if you guys sounded like you were actually concerned about the safety and well being of other riders who don't wear helmets, but you obviously aren't, you're just being a dick.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by freerider215
well hate to burst all you helmet wearing peeps bubbles, but wearing a helmet is no guarantee you won't **** your head up if you fall on it. my buddy down in florida pulling a table over a hip fell (with a helmet on) got 12 stitches just above the hair line and a mild concussion. so what if i'm wearing a helmet and land on my face? should i have been wearing a full face helmet for street? i'm 32, i don't wear a helmet for street or any park that doesn't require one. i could give a **** less about "image". also i rode mtb's for years so i definetly respect that scene, but i've been riding street and gave the "nod" to mtbers and got **** back. does that mean that if i saw that dude on the street bleeding that i would just ride by? **** no and to who ever said they would, **** you. you're an asshole no matter what size bike you are riding. it would be one thing if you guys sounded like you were actually concerned about the safety and well being of other riders who don't wear helmets, but you obviously aren't, you're just being a dick.
what's your point? do you think your buddy would be better if he wasn't wearing a helmet? and if you care about your face, wear a full face. i don't wear mine all the time, but any time that there's a non-negligible chance that i'll faceplant i bring it out, even though it has the downsides you mention. and how did you decide we're all being "a dick"? is that because we realize that our own health insurance is higher because of guys who get head injuries, thus it IS our problem? hmm.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
well hate to burst all you helmet wearing peeps bubbles, but wearing a helmet is no guarantee you won't **** your head up if you fall on it. my buddy down in florida pulling a table over a hip fell (with a helmet on) got 12 stitches just above the hair line and a mild concussion. so what if i'm wearing a helmet and land on my face?
to who ever said they would, **** you. you're an asshole no matter what size bike you are riding. it would be one thing if you guys sounded like you were actually concerned about the safety and well being of other riders who don't wear helmets, but you obviously aren't, you're just being a dick.
Yes and if he wasn't wearing a helmet he may have cracked his head open.(not for sure but possibly).
To me it is a safety thing. I don't want anyone i ride with to need an ambulance. Also when i ride urban the police see that i have a helmet and shyt on and tell me that they like it because it sets a good example for kids. They don't bother me and that's one of the reasons. They don't like people griding rails and get even more pissed if you don't have any gear on doing it. people can do what they want I've already told the kids that i ride with "no helmet no ride"

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
tru dat. he could have ended up even stupider than he is now. my point was that it's not a guarantee. as far as the cops not hassling you because you have a helmet on???????????????????????????????????????????????? where do you live? Mayberry?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
tru dat. he could have ended up even stupider than he is now. my point was that it's not a guarantee. as far as the cops not hassling you because you have a helmet on???????????????????????????????????????????????? where do you live? Mayberry?
Mostly campus cops.(it's SUNY so they're not renta cops). But seriously they have said "oh you guys have helmets and stuff so you're being safe" They're afraid of a lawsuit so anything that can prevent serious injusy makes them happy.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by Toshi
what's your point? do you think your buddy would be better if he wasn't wearing a helmet? and if you care about your face, wear a full face. i don't wear mine all the time, but any time that there's a non-negligible chance that i'll faceplant i bring it out, even though it has the downsides you mention. and how did you decide we're all being "a dick"? is that because we realize that our own health insurance is higher because of guys who get head injuries, thus it IS our problem? hmm.
no, no, i'm not saying everyone on here is a dick, but if your (not "yours" as it you) point is to only point out that bmxers don't wear helmets and are "punks" and that you'd let them bleed to death because they didn't say "hi" to you then yes you're a dick. i wonder though what tricks you street mtbers and dirt jumpers would be doing if those "punk" bmxers hadn't come up with them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
no, no, i'm not saying everyone on here is a dick, but if your (not "yours" as it you) point is to only point out that bmxers don't wear helmets and are "punks" and that you'd let them bleed to death because they didn't say "hi" to you then yes you're a dick. i wonder though what tricks you street mtbers and dirt jumpers would be doing if those "punk" bmxers hadn't come up with them.
heh. you might want to check who wrote that bit about bleeding to death. hint: wasn't me. however, i do think that a significant reason why bmxers don't wear helmets is because of the uncoolness factor. this is just from knowing the psychology of high school age kids, having been one in the recent past

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah it wasx me that made the bleed to death comment. so if it is not my problem or my place to be concerned about someone not wearing a helmet ( regardless of what they are riding) then why should it suddenly become my problem if they fall and split their dome open? why should that suddenly ruin my ride?why should it become my problem only when they need my help?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
and further more i would not let them bleed to death because they did not say hi. that was just beside the fact thing that i added.