Why is it so taboo to sprint up hills

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
loco-gringo said:
Now Opie will be afraid.
no, what bothers me is what he said, "If you want me that bad you could ask?"

Is he implying that I could poke him in the butt if I only asked?

*shudders*

biggins said:
this is what bothers me about road ridiing, if you sign up for a 50 mile ride then expect to ride 50 miles dammit without counting on someone to "do their fair share of the work" . what share? oh do you mean pedaling their own bike and body for 50 miles while you try to do the same?
instead of passing judgement, why not try to understand? Sometimes you're expected to ride in a group, that's known up front. Sometimes the group does their own thing individually. That's also known up front.

Sometimes it's really enjoyable to ride in a group, other times I ride solo or with just one or two others.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
So, being 120lbs. likely makes you one of, if not the lightest riders in that group. If that's true, then you would likely be the better climber if your fitness levels are relatively equal. Some people were born to climb and others were born to dominate the flatlands. I would also guess that you are sitting-up once you reach the summit of the climbs?

They're just jealous is probably what it all boils down to.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
How long are these 'climbs'?

I know when I ride with a group, if we approach say a 10 mile climb, we more or less stay together, but if any kind of race develops (which often happens on random group rides) it is often every man for himself (or herself) to the top or predetermined line.

The group always regroups at the summit though.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
biggins said:
this is what bothers me about road ridiing, if you sign up for a 50 mile ride then expect to ride 50 miles dammit without counting on someone to "do their fair share of the work" . what share? oh do you mean pedaling their own bike and body for 50 miles while you try to do the same?
I hope you're not serious

Oct 9, 2004
TheMontashu said:
I have started riding with a good size youth road group. I'm sprinting up hill alot couse its fun and I can. They all get mad and i dont know why, will some one fill me in?

maybe you have a very nice gluteus maximus and they are jealous because they dont have the junk in the trunk that you have.
and to sprint up hill and wave it in front of them bouncing it around like a bouncing ball, that they have a problem with?

J

JRB

Wait - you can't compose a sentence or spell and you calculate distance with metric conversions???

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
loco-gringo said:
Wait - you can't compose a sentence or spell and you calculate distance with metric conversions???
Aperently your not a cycleist if you dont know clicks, Any rodie will tell you stiff in clicks and not in miles.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
TheMontashu said:
Aperently your not a cycleist if you dont know clicks, Any rodie will tell you stiff in clicks and not in miles.
I know what a click is brother, I just don't thing three of 'em is a climb. I fvcking love Colorado where a climb gets you into the clouds! Booyah!

PS: You are wrong... roadies use whatever convention is used in the country they live in. Perhaps races go with kilometers, but you don't have to race to be a roadie.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
LordOpie said:
PS: You are wrong... roadies use whatever convention is used in the country they live in. Perhaps races go with kilometers, but you don't have to race to be a roadie.
Does using a triple matter though?
:p

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
TheMontashu said:
What the f--- are you talking about. If I asked anyone I ride with how long a race/trail/climb is and they told it to me in metric, I'd be like, "Yeah....no seriously, how long is it?....Really....No no, in english please...." This is America. Speaking of which, are you like an ESL student or something? "rodie"? "aperently"? "cycleist"?

J

JRB

TheMontashu said:

When you take an English class, come back and call me a dumb ass. Until then, keep your friggin mouth shut. I too sprint up hills and feel bad when I get in front. The difference is, I feel bad and don't feel compelled to thump my 15 year old chest about it on a bike forum. I am still astonished that you thought that me not knowing clicks makes me stupid. Jesus Christ, have you looked at your composition skills and your word choice. It begs the question, who's the true jackass???

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
loco-gringo said:
When you take an English class, come back and call me a dumb ass. Until then, keep your friggin mouth shut. I too sprint up hills and feel bad when I get in front. The difference is, I feel bad and don't feel compelled to thump my 15 year old chest about it on a bike forum. I am still astonished that you thought that me not knowing clicks. Jesus Christ, have you looked at your composition skills and your word choice. It begs the question, who's the true jackass???
you feeling okay?

J

JRB

LordOpie said:
you feeling okay?

Yup - I was cranky enough I had to go back and finish a sentence though. This kid just can't stop. Just when peeps try to get along, he says some "I'm better than you" BS. I don't get it. LAME

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
loco-gringo said:
Yup - I was cranky enough I had to go back and finish a sentence though. This kid just can't stop. Just when peeps try to get along, he says some "I'm better than you" BS. I don't get it. LAME
well, he is a kid. He's 120#, that makes him, what, 11yo?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
xbluethunderx said:
It is for me.

...and it's miles where I work and I work with some pretty remarkable roadies.

But then I'm not a ceyeklist.

Perhaps the people on this ride were used to it being a group ride or a "social pace" ride and they found the demonstration of hubris involved in a solo breakaway on a climb to be not fitting with the character of the group.

Just the musings of a chubby DH racer who happens to ride road too.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
If this thread is any indication, no wonder some of the women cyclist around my area like to do women-only group rides. I'm sure they enjoy the break from the testosterone fest that typically accompanies male and mixed gender group rides.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
ALEXIS_DH said:
hahahahaha, chill down, am making fun of a bunch of middle-aged plum-smugglers with pro-attitudes towards people who hammer it in uphills, like if it was an olympic track-pack or something.

and yeah, probably roadies would kick my ass on a bike ride, tough i can keep up with the middle-aged for a few hundred meters while speedskating (no spandex tough). :blah:

if somebody gets mad in a ride because of a guy hammered uphill, they are just taking things too seriously too, for it to be fun.

So would you pick up the basketball and run around the court, never dribbling or passing, because that's whats more fun? Or would you play the game like it was meant to be played?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm going on the theory that the entire pack pulled him on the flats, and then he showboated it up the hill.

News flash, you're not Lance Armstrong, and the point of the ride isn't to keep you out of the wind until the grade goes up...

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
ALEXIS_DH said:
hahahahaha, chill down, am making fun of a bunch of middle-aged plum-smugglers with pro-attitudes towards people who hammer it in uphills, like if it was an olympic track-pack or something.

and yeah, probably roadies would kick my ass on a bike ride, tough i can keep up with the middle-aged for a few hundred meters while speedskating (no spandex tough). :blah:

if somebody gets mad in a ride because of a guy hammered uphill, they are just taking things too seriously too, for it to be fun.
Im sorry, could you repeat that. I was laughing too hard at the speed skating thing to hear the rest.

speed skating.......whooohooo, thats rich

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Silver said:
I'm going on the theory that the entire pack pulled him on the flats, and then he showboated it up the hill.

News flash, you're not Lance Armstrong, and the point of the ride isn't to keep you out of the wind until the grade goes up...
:stupid:

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
So Montashu,

Everyone is still guessing. Did you ask the other folks in your group why they were PO'ed? Did they tow you to the climb? Were you squirrely out of the saddle and putting everyone else at risk?

There is no taboo. Ask the folks you want to ride with.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
cliffster5 said:
If this thread is any indication, no wonder some of the women cyclist around my area like to do women-only group rides. I'm sure they enjoy the break from the testosterone fest that typically accompanies male and mixed gender group rides.

bingo.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
cliffster5 said:
the only reason why the women here show up to our group rides is i talk dirty to them DUH. they just ride around me and i spit game yo :)