Quantcast

Why is it so taboo to sprint up hills

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Ok getting back to the orginal topic. isnt sprinting a climb just a phenomanal waste of energy? sprints require usaly getting out of the saddle and cranking a big gear. t big wastes of energy.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Dirt rider said:
Ok getting back to the orginal topic. isnt sprinting a climb just a phenomanal waste of energy? sprints require usaly getting out of the saddle and cranking a big gear. t big wastes of energy.
But if I'm ever going to race (I dont know if i am yeat) Its easyer for me to sprint climbs than others. So if im in the pelaton and i sprint up a hill and people come and chase me there wasting alot more energy than me.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
TheMontashu said:
But if I'm ever going to race (I dont know if i am yeat) Its easyer for me to sprint climbs than others. So if im in the pelaton and i sprint up a hill and people come and chase me there wasting alot more energy than me.
umm no it sounds like they will expend the same amount of energy as you chasing you up a hill

heres the deal

you expend alot of energy by sprinting and once at the top of a climb your legs (and rest of body for that matter) will feel more tired and your heart and breathing rate will be higher (remember it takes energy to pump your blood and breath in and out) than those dudes you left behind who maintained a cosistant pace, therefore you will be riding slower than the rest of the pack and you will eventualy get passed. and it will take time to recover. if you want to be a climber think Efficiency rater than power insted of standing and pushing a huge gear stay seated and spin a smaller gear at a higher rpm you get less speed but your not taxing your energy levels nearly as much for the long road ahead. riding and climbing like this will make your legs strong rather than just big. its like the bodybuilder effect. body builders lift huge weights but do a low number of reps so their muscles react by thickening their fibers and therfore big bulgy muscles but they are not that strong as opposed to oh lets say a fireman who lifts lighter weights but does many reps the muscle cells then learn to process food and oxygen more effeicently and thats why a fireman can climb up a highrise stair case wearing 100lbs of gear .

so in short. you wanna lose thos guys in the climb drop some gears and pedal faster

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
TheMontashu said:
No they will expend more couse i way less therefore it takes les force for me to get up the hill
ok you are 120lbs plus bike

I am 160lbs plus a bike that weighs the same as yours, geared the same, ect...

I have more mass but at the same time can exert more force because I have more muscle mass than you.

threfore providing that be are both made up of equal ratios of muscle, fat ,bone, organ size and efficentcy

mine being 25% greater than yours (but I have 25% greater mass than you)

we should both need the same amount of energy to do the same amount of work.

Olyroller

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
Olympia, WA USA
With our little group of guys it just seems to be a natural thing to sprint to the top of hill, everyone want to win anytime. Our logo is " any sign any time" :thumb:

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
TheMontashu said:
TM - If the finish line is at the top of the hill, you win. If it's not and the big guys in the group behind catch you and outsprint you at the finish, you lose. I don't know if it will make them waste more energy or not, but it sure might hurt them more to keep up with you.

For the most part the strongest don't always win road races, it takes a certain tactical sense as well as strength (as in when and where to use what strength you have to make your attack the most effective). At least, this is the case when you get into the higher categories (1, 2 and 3) where there is much less difference in people's fitness levels. In the lower categories (3, 4 and 5) and XC the strongest usually do win (IMHO).

Cheers,
-Ian

goneskiian

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
TheMontashu said:
No they dont tow me in the flats. they told me that its jest not the way its done
Hey, if you like to go fast up hills and they look down on that, you need to ride alone or with a different group. As far as I can tell if you waited at the top of the climb for them they've got nothing to complain about.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Ok Montashu, this is the deal. You said yourself that it's a fun group ride. You didn't say it was a fun group interval workout. When you sprint a hill, you are changing the zone in which you're training, and therefore turning it into a hill / interval workout. Sure, they could choose to ignore you and let you speed out ahead and then settle back in, but that definitely disturbs the flow, and yes, the mood of a fun ride. I don't ride road often and when I do it is typically solo because I know I may want to push it.

If you want to hammer the hills, then great. By all means sprint up those puppies. But don't expect to do it on group rides. If you do, you'll make a lot more enemies than friends.

Out here in the sticks it's pretty easy to ride fifty or so road miles by mistake, usually solo...

I have one roadie buddy who I have ridden with a couple of times, and he seems to have a whole odd rule set he goes by. He's also a stronger rider...

Iff'n the ride is for fun, who cares who leads and when, as long as people wait up when appropriate?