Quantcast

Why is it that we need this steakhouse???

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
mine was a slight joust at yr 'cook circles' comment...a big part of the meal is the raw materials which go into it. ;)

btw, even something as mundane as chicken can be transformed by a good cook. i had the most juicy, delicious 1/2 roast chicken last month at a bistro, and i've roasted plenty of chickens in my day. once you add in the window dressing like foie gras or morels, the price tag can accelerate accordingly.

It's like your auto mechanic... the cost isn't in the tightneing of the bolt, it's in the knowing of what bolt to tighten...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
Laura can cook me a meal anytime. I'll even let her have some leftovers.
i don't doubt she's a good cook, and i wouldn't turn down a meal served @ chez TN/Laura, but it's just a tad presumptious to assume her skill eclipses all steakhouse chefs. but maybe the steakhouses suck in memphis. :confused:

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
narlus said:
i don't doubt she's a good cook, and i wouldn't turn down a meal served @ chez TN/Laura, but it's just a tad presumptious to assume her skill eclipses all steakhouse chefs. but maybe the steakhouses suck in memphis. :confused:
Outback, yes, I'm sure Laura wins, no questions asked.
But if Laura can outcook Sparks here in NYC, I may have to marry her.:)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Secret Squirrel said:
..........uh huh.......go back to sesame street and visit The Count...he might be able to help you....
Well, the alternative is to petition the city council, local zoning boards, and organize nearby residents to protest this use of parking.

Or, in one word...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
laura said:
its just funny when someone gets their panties in a wad because they didn't get a joke that wasn't even aimed at them in the first place.

*yaaawnnn.....

Oh... what??

Ahh!

Sorry I'm late!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
narlus said:
It's a steak, how hard can it be? Throw it on the grill, turn it, serve it. ;)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
She's really good. I'll post a new pic tonight.
Wait.. you cooked the baby? I thought this was about steak?? I don't want to see those pics.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Come on. A nice rotisseried baby probably makes for a fine picture........ :drool:
Hmm.. now that you mention it, infant kabobs might be pretty good.

:think:

J

JRB

So now cooked baby jokes are funny??? Damn - I am supposed to be the stupid one here.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
So now cooked baby jokes are funny??? Damn - I am supposed to be the stupid one here.
I am a parent and I still find any reference to cooking and/or eating children to be funny.

The older your kid gets, the funnier it will be.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Since I don't have kids and find it funny would it be worth it to get some just for the cannibalism funny factor?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
Since I don't have kids and find it funny would it be worth it to get some just for the cannibalism funny factor?
You can eat your own "boys".

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
narlus said:

ARRRGGGGGGGGGG. i'm not talking about the steak. focus people focus. we are talking about the baked potato. the six ****ing dollar baked potato. i can cook circles around a steak house chef cooking a baked potato. (or asparagus, or chicken)

ps. presumptuous is my middle name.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
laura said:
ARRRGGGGGGGGGG. i'm not talking about the steak. focus people focus. we are talking about the baked potato. the six ****ing dollar baked potato. i can cook circles around a steak house chef cooking a baked potato. (or asparagus, or chicken)

ps. presumptuous is my middle name.
What about $8 french fries?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
from what I've seen though, side dishes at a steakhouse can feed a family. So your $8 french fries probably come served in a pail, and your $8 potato is probably the size of a pumpkin. I don't like pumpkin. Sweet potatoes are good though...except that little nub on the end. What's that all about? Heh heh....."nub."

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
from what I've seen though, side dishes at a steakhouse can feed a family. So your $8 french fries probably come served in a pail, and your $8 potato is probably the size of a pumpkin. I don't like pumpkin. Sweet potatoes are good though...except that little nub on the end. What's that all about? Heh heh....."nub."

You haven't ever eaten at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse have you..?

You get a single potato that's been cut into 4 long quarters for your $10.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
MMMMM looks like duck confit. SS, I am hoping that is duck fat, not bacon grease.

What price tag would you put on driving to the store, buying a potato, driving home, cooking it, paying the rent on your place for that period of time, paying that portion of the cost of your plate and fork, paying for the butter, sour cream and whatever else you want, paying that portion of the gas and electricity, then cleaning up?

$8 seems like a good deal to me, especially if it's a fun setting with a good group of friends to share it with. But I consider my time to be pretty valuable.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N8 said:
You haven't ever eaten at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse have you..?
Once. I had a steak and crab legs. Why do you ask?

I ate at a steakhouse in San Fran last year (don't remember the name of it) and me and two coworkers split the side dishes (and they are big guys).

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
Once. I had a steak and crab legs. Why do you ask?

I ate at a steakhouse in San Fran last year (don't remember the name of it) and me and two coworkers split the side dishes (and they are big guys).

All I am saying is the portions are not big at all... at least the last time I ate there which was in 1989 in Dallas.

The food was good but way over priced in my opinion.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N8 said:
All I am saying is the portions are not big at all... at least the last time I ate there which was in 1989 in Dallas.

The food was good but way over priced in my opinion.
I do remember walking out of Ruth's Chris thinking "I just paid $110 for that?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
good steakhouses:

Capital Grille
Grill 23

smith and wollensky's was not impressive, at least the philly one i've been to. the NYC was good, but i had a 4# lobster.

haven't been to morton's in ages, but i recall that being good too.

shanahan's in dublin was pretty good too, but hideously over-priced.

never been to a Ruth's Chris steak house. i boycott it solely on its crappy name.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Don't forget Christine Lee's if you are in Miami. I go there a few times a year when I am visiting relatives. Great steaks and lobsters plus you can get Chinese food too. We also goto the Veranda at Turnberry - everything is good there.

Probably about the only thing I like in Florida is the food :p

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
narlus said:
One of the benefits of living as close to DC as I do is access to quality ingredients/wine...not that I buy dry-aged beef, but I can get very high quality meats/seafood through local independent shops. There is a lot to be said for professional preparation though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i don't get dry-aged beef myself, but the butcher i do source my beef/lamb/pork from is awesome. i'd put my grilled meat against most any steakhouse offering. i just can't do the fancy extras like kobe beef tartare, spinach souffle, and some deep,dark ganache-like dessert.

:drool:

plus my wine supply is dwarfed in volume and breadth by good steakhouses.