Quantcast

Why is Ridemonkey going to disappear?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
In reference to JonKranked's grammar point, I decided to reword my question.

As much as I like funny posts, ultimately this is a bike site. When 95% of the posters have nothing to say about bikes, guess what that means.

I noticed several beginner-type questions in the Cross Country and the Tech Talk Forums go unanswered.

In comparison, the most inane, non bike related topics will receive hundreds of posts.

I guess for me, I discuss bikes so much, I like going off-topic. But I will also go to MTBR if I feel like answering questions (or asking one).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Why the hardcore are going to continue to post here, I know that several casual visitors to ridemonkey avoid this site specifically because of the lack of bike content.

While the DH forum is probably one of the best sources of relevant bike information, the rest are sorely lacking.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah... the lounge really needs to be re-titled to include beginner and tech questions, while DH needs to include DH related tech q's. It was a much stronger site when they were more integrated. jmho.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
i think the DH and Freeride forum need to be jacked back together. it seems like nothing goes on in the freeride forum.
Nope, keep them out of the DH forum.

Last thing we need.

Damn huck-flip-spin-lolz-thatwassosickdude-low peaked freaks.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Nope, keep them out of the DH forum.

Last thing we need.

Damn huck-flip-spin-lolz-thatwassosickdude-low peaked freaks.
It would be better to just keep everything Canadian out. That way you get rid of all the freeride/huckin' brahs AND MMike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
People who actually ride bikes don't need to talk about bikes on an online forum. At least that's how I look at it.
I ride my bike as much as I ever have. I just have been riding long enough that I don't really care to talk about it anymore. It has all be talked about already. Bike technology has gotten so good that I really don't care if anything new comes out because I am pretty much 100% satisfied with what I already have.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
If I want to discuss trials, I go to a trials site.

If I want to discuss dirt jumping, I go to a DJ site.

If I want to discuss taint shaving, I go to RM.

Yeah, it ain't looking good.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I ride my bike as much as I ever have. I just have been riding long enough that I don't really care to talk about it anymore. It has all be talked about already. Bike technology has gotten so good that I really don't care if anything new comes out because I am pretty much 100% satisfied with what I already have.
BINGO!

Exactly what I meant, and exactly how I feel.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
With yours and Westy's Logic and train of thought, we'd still be driving Model T's and posting on forums via telegraph.
Which, as we all know would take quite a lot longer and perhaps we would all think a bit more with our responses.

I get to wondering why I even bother to check back. I guess I could name a short list of reasons:
  • Keeps me in touch with some far-flung riding buddies and a few other friends I have not yet had a chance to ride with.
  • Northeast Monkeyfest
  • If I have a question about components, gear or maintenance, there are a few people who will answer who are worth listening to.

There's so much asshat content, especially in the lounge, that my enthusiasm is waning.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
With yours and Westy's Logic and train of thought, we'd still be driving Model T's and posting on forums via telegraph.
It's the stuff like:

-matching kits/helmets/gloves/goggles
-sub 30lb DH bikes
-boners over what DW had for lunch
-anodizing shifter cables to match paint
-sub 15lb XC bikes
-$1000+ SC forks
-$300 vs. $325 chainring debates
-pros on clips vs pros on flats

....that make me want to not talk about bikes around here. It doesn't matter to me. As Westy said, I have my bikes (frames from '02, '04 and '06), they work, I ride a lot and I'm happy.

I'm ALL FOR helping out newbs/serious tech questions, but unfortunately that constitutes maybe 10% of all bike related questions.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'll ask the odd question here and there and I do enjoy checking out the ride reports. But I'd say the level of asshattery here pales in comparison to other bike sites. We're much funnier folk here on RM...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I first came over from MTBR, I spent 90% of my time in the DH forum. But it was just like the lounge for 8th graders.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
And to add to my last post, I like the lounge so much because whenever I feel like my life is fvcked up, I read a thread by PSP, RR and the like and know that everything is OK in my little world.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I'll ask the odd question here and there and I do enjoy checking out the ride reports. But I'd say the level of asshattery here pales in comparison to other bike sites. We're much funnier folk here on RM...
Exactly. Thank you.

Look, not everyone has time to look around through multiple sites during the day to find out about their favorite hobby, random news items, funny stories, social commentary, and to make fun of the occasional dolt of below average intelligence(you know who you are).
RM is good for me so that when I have a few minutes, I just click over and browse the forums that pertain to me. I'll find out new things about new things and laugh a little at the banter. Just because the traffic is down on the beginner and xc forums is not evidence that the site is worthless or hurting. Besides, the SS forum is far worse off and that would be my main spot if it had more traffic. But I don't b!tch about it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I agree with this, for the most part, but I'll pretty much always be interested in new bike technology. It's true that the bikes are incredibly good right now compared to older stuff, but things will continue to evolve, for better or worse, and even if I don't jump on the newest stuff I still enjoy keeping up.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
It's because we create a level of comfort here. One of my best rides was to go shuttle Devils Den with some MO monkeys. I have also had some very good transactions here. (Stinky will disagree, but we'll ignore that for now and if I ever head to Phoenix, the first few drinks are definitely on me). I've had plenty of pissing matches with Burly Shirley, but it turns out we just did a fork swap one time with no issue. I have no problem sending parts to someone if I don't need them. I am sending a $1500 wheelset for the same value, different type wheels right now. (and I actually care enough about people's opinion here that I had a wheel box made by a friend in the container business)

I know I can call on folks for rides in other states and they can call on me to ride if they are here.

If MTBR has that, I'd be super surprised. I mostly don't want to talk to people online that think they know it all, as I'm subjected to that all day at the bike shop.