Quantcast

Why is Ridemonkey going to disappear?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Biking friends that I actually know IRL and I don't talk about bikes all the time. I don't see why it should be any different with my imaginary friends here on RM.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Biking friends that I actually know IRL and I don't talk about bikes all the time. I don't see why it should be any different with my imaginary friends here on RM.
Use of IRL = no friends IRL :rofl:

I agree. I like to see what other people ride, or where they choose to do it, but I don't talk about motorcycles or trucks on those sites, either.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
I noticed several beginner-type questions in the Cross Country and the Tech Talk Forums go unanswered.
Well majority of those questions are allready covered, usually multiple times and RM has quite good search function.

Besides 90% of those questions could be avoided with simple reading of the user manual or short visit of the local bike mechanic.

I guess for me, I discuss bikes so much, I like going off-topic. But I will also go to MTBR if I feel like answering questions (or asking one).
Well next time you feel that way answer the unanswered questions in geek sections of RM first :D

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I don't know why I don't keep coming back. I only like a fraction of you. :D

The Lounge to me is like a diversion, where all the assholes have a common bond & that common bond is mountain bikes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I know that the regular users of RM are knowledgeable and experienced riders, and I like discussing my non-bike related issues with them since our lives revolve around biking.

And I rarely have any bike-related questions or issues which I need to discuss in forums, which I also suspect is the same for most of posters here.

However, in order to continue attracting new and semi-frequent users to RM, we should try to focus on more bike related information.

Possibly this site is best as a bike-culture forum than a "Which bike should I get?" forum.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Besides 90% of those questions could be avoided with simple reading of the user manual or short visit of the local bike mechanic.
It's sooo much easier to create an account at some random forum and create a new thread (consisting solely of capital letters and exclamation points) for each question you have.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
....Possibly this site is best as a bike-culture forum than a "Which bike should I get?" forum.

Those forums bore me & make me want to vomit.

If someone (thinking Peach) asks for advice on trails in Moab or something like that, the Lounge is a great resource. I have found tons of great trails either by meeting local monkee's or having someone point me in the right direction.

Isn't this section where we shoot the **** anyway?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Personally, I dont know of any better place on the entire internetz to both insult and be insulted by everyone.
RM has its own personality, as anyone who has ever visited MTBR or (god forbid) bikeforums can attest. All forums dont need to be the same thing. RM slowly evolved into what it is, and I think all its valued members have contributed to that happening.
Why change it? I hate newbs.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Personally, I dont know of any better place on the entire internetz to both insult and be insulted by everyone.
RM has its own personality, as anyone who has ever visited MTBR or (god forbid) bikeforums can attest. All forums dont need to be the same thing. RM slowly evolved into what it is, and I think all its valued members have contributed to that happening.
Why change it? I hate newbs.
YOu friggin jew.....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I ride my bike as much as I ever have. I just have been riding long enough that I don't really care to talk about it anymore. It has all be talked about already. Bike technology has gotten so good that I really don't care if anything new comes out because I am pretty much 100% satisfied with what I already have.

:thumb:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm not ashamed to say that I like the lounge and most of the threads, I like being able to check in once a day for an an hour or so and shoot the ****. All these things that people bitch about is what keeps the lounge alive - biking is one thing we have in common, not the sole thing.

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
I think the bike forums are pretty good. I check in every now and again when I'm not surfing Pinkbike to check out what is going on in the DJ and DH forums.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
In all the seriousness I can muster, The Lounge to me is what it'd be like if we all

1. Actually knew each other
2. Actually liked each other
3. Actually rode bikes together
4. Actually all got together post ride to drink

that the Lounge is what a lot of the conversations would be like.

Hey, it's my e-world..