Quantcast

why isn't RAM cheaper?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've come to teh conclusion that my PC probably needs more memory, as my massive database makes slimserver run a bit slow, esp if i'm also doing stuff like photoshop or other demands.

but i'm used to prices dropping like a rock for computer-related things over time, and memory doesn't seem to follow this trend. here's what i paid for 2x512 of RAM in april 2005:

DDRAM 2x512MB PC-3200 GE1GB3200BDC (Qty=1,Price=$94.85)

to buy 2x1GB of RAM, almost 18 months later, is gonna be close to $300. why?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
i've come to teh conclusion that my PC probably needs more memory, as my massive database makes slimserver run a bit slow, esp if i'm also doing stuff like photoshop or other demands.

but i'm used to prices dropping like a rock for computer-related things over time, and memory doesn't seem to follow this trend. here's what i paid for 2x512 of RAM in april 2005:

DDRAM 2x512MB PC-3200 GE1GB3200BDC (Qty=1,Price=$94.85)

to buy 2x1GB of RAM, almost 18 months later, is gonna be close to $300. why?

WTF?

What ram are you looking at??

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
...even at that, realistically, PQI and OCZ both make quality memory sticks at 2gb for around $200. They aren't going to have super fast timings but for non-gaming purposes, they're just fine.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wait, maybe some DDR2 is like $300, but most any decent 2gb kits of PC3200 can be had for $220 or less.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OCZ seems to have a dominant history of never receiving rebates.

i don't know my DDR2 from my PC3200. in fact, i am confused about the differences between these two Corsair chips, other than price:

$230

$282

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ram prices have been rising daily in the last month or so. Some RAM that i need has gone up from $168 to $248 in the last 4 weeks. (This is special ram, just plain old FB DIMMs, not the ones with the apple syncs). The stuff with the syncs I need is $299 for a 2x512 kit, from Crucial. Ouch.

Across the board it has been rising. It's a comodity, and as such fluctuates daily.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
OCZ seems to have a dominant history of never receiving rebates.

i don't know my DDR2 from my PC3200. in fact, i am confused about the differences between these two Corsair chips, other than price:

$230

$282
Latency.

The more expensive chips have less latency, the memory runs on fewer clock cycles. It would really make the difference for you if you were a hardcore gamer, otherwise the difference will most likely be inperceptable. (sp?)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
RAM is kind of like gold, it's value goes up and down from time to time. Generally it has come down over the last several years, 15 years ago when my dad bought his first PC 2MB was considered a lot of RAM and cost about $100/MB, 2GB was not only cost prohibitive it was technologically impossible. Flash RAM has been falling really quick lately, much like RAM for computers did in the 90's. PDA's now have more capablilites and capacity than 286's did years ago for hundreds of dollars less.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
RAM is kind of like gold, it's value goes up and down from time to time. Generally it has come down over the last several years, 15 years ago when my dad bought his first PC 2MB was considered a lot of RAM and cost about $100/MB, 2GB was not only cost prohibitive it was technologically impossible. Flash RAM has been falling really quick lately, much like RAM for computers did in the 90's. PDA's now have more capablilites and capacity than 286's did years ago for hundreds of dollars less.
Indeed, it's a commodity, just like gold or oil. If you watch stuff on crucial.com, you can see prices go up and down up to a dozen times a day. They are a large ram manufacturer (micron) and as such, are directly affected and can respond faster.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
but do other computer components also behave this way? storage universally seems to get cheaper all the time, as do things like optical drives, monitors, etc...what about processors?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
but do other computer components also behave this way? storage universally seems to get cheaper all the time, as do things like optical drives, monitors, etc...what about processors?
Procs tend to maintain the initial price for a few months, then they plummet as the new procs come out. They don't really tend go go back up unless there is unexpected high demand.

RAM prices can stay especially high for uncommon types of chips. PC3200 is very common and therefore easy to get a couple GB for cheap. Speed's just a question of money - faster chips cost more.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i placed the order today for the ~$240 corsair stuff.

am i correct in saying that i should pull the 2x512MB out, because if i leave it in the machine will run slower?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you ordered 2x of the same memory module, then yes, it'll run slower with the other GB in, since it won't run in dual channel mode with more than two sticks.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
:brows:
Last time RAM spiked it was due to a fire in a major fab over in Taiwan, IIRC. Anything like that going on recently?
The only recent disaster affecting RAM supplies is Windows Vista. :bonk:

Seriously it's supply and demand, it's the holiday more computers are being sold. Windows vista is coming out so people are putting more RAM in the machines they are buying, and of course IMacs are selling like hotcakes. :biggrin: