Quantcast

Why isn't the West Coast race scene as well organized?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've lived on both coasts now, and after last season of just racing at N*, I have to say that the east coast has it's proverbial sh!t way more together when it comes to the race scene.

Both from an organizational and a depth of races (not depth of racing) stance, its way tighter wired out there.

Is it just that the west is SO much bigger in distribution of riding areas? I know there's the Fluid Ride series in the PNW, and the SO Cal scene has a lot going, as do events like the CCCX, but it just seems sort of shot gun blast and unorganized.

Any thoughts? All of this kinda makes me miss the east coast enough to think about going back, but just for a minute. Then I remember Whistler and N* and Mammoth, and I sleep better.

zzsean

Chimp
Jun 29, 2007
Boulder, CO
I've lived on both coasts now, and after last season of just racing at N*, I have to say that the east coast has it's proverbial sh!t way more together when it comes to the race scene.

Both from an organizational and a depth of races (not depth of racing) stance, its way tighter wired out there.

Is it just that the west is SO much bigger in distribution of riding areas? I know there's the Fluid Ride series in the PNW, and the SO Cal scene has a lot going, as do events like the CCCX, but it just seems sort of shot gun blast and unorganized.

Any thoughts? All of this kinda makes me miss the east coast enough to think about going back, but just for a minute. Then I remember Whistler and N* and Mammoth, and I sleep better.
A little less West than the West Coast and you have the Mountain States Cup. Great organization, great variety of race locations and great fun!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The Southridge (SRC) crew in Fontana is very well run and it always attracts a good field.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I think it has more to do with the availability of legal DH trails.

It sounds like there's more lift assisted mountains that are building DH trails for the summer back east. We've only got northstar and mammoth embracing the DH scene in the entire state of california.

I can think of tons of other places to go ride, but 70% of those are places you don't speak the names of let alone organize and advertise a race on.

I've heard rumors of other places in socal building dh trails, so maybe we'll see organized races down there, and a new series just got announced in sac.

It would be rad to see all those organizers collaborate and expand on the Cal state series which right now is an anemic 4 races at so far only two separate venues. Because of our year round weather, there's no reason we can't have a series that goes well into winter.

Of course the other thing to consider is distance here. It's an 11 hour drive from one end of the state to the other, let alone up into Oregon and Washington. How many states do you go through on an 11 hour drive back east?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I think it has more to do with the availability of legal DH trails.
Bingo. Socal has some of the greatest DH trails in the country, too bad 90% of them are illegal and/or multi-use (hikers/horses) trails. You'll never get sanctioned races on any of them.

Then the trails you CAN get races on are second rate compared to the trails you can go ride for free, and often very far away. So everyone is stuck with the question of "Do I spent way more money to drive farther to race on worse trails? Or just ride my local shuttle trails for free?".

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
HA! i have the best of both worlds for now :) west coast in the winter time and east coast gnar in the summer, take a few months off and repeat!

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
No one ever seems to mention the Mountain States Cup. Next year it includes:
-Angel Fire
-Crested Butte
-Snowmass
-Telluride
-Keystone
-Winter Park

And the National Championships are at Sol Vista again. Also Crankworx at Winter Park is separate from the MSC race there. There is definitely a race scene in the Rockies:thumb:

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I was kinda hoping the fluidride cup would expand this year. Living in southern oregon suck, cause we drive hours to all races. I would make more of an effort to race is the fr cup could expand to be a west coat series. Maybe hitting Willamette Pass and N*. Its alot of driving but if you make it a whole series it would be more worth it for the nor cal guys to head north and the pnw guys to head a little further south.

Also it sucked bad to see chdh go under. I loved that series.