Quantcast

:>) Why, just why? (<:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A friend taught me a lesson about lights. We were galloping around the woods in Medway or some such, he had no light, I had a light. He was doing much better with his night vision than I was with the light. Since then I seldom use a light when outside at night on foot.
I agree with this until it's a no moon night. Red-light for sure. It doesn't fuck your overall vision and you can still function.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So not talking about knives and flashlights...

I guess Hannah's decided that Johnny Cash's Hurt is "our song". I guess she likes the beat. I don't know. We were listening to it in the car and Haley asked if it was the Wolverine song. Like, the movie. If you ever want to feel dated.

After we got home, I pulled up the Logan trailer with Hurt as the music and damn if there isn't a better song for a trailer. Possibly ever. That being the lead in to the movie, with a couple solid gut punches to those of us who grew up with X-Men, makes for one hell of a combination. I think I need to watch it again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So not talking about knives and flashlights...

I guess Hannah's decided that Johnny Cash's Hurt is "our song". I guess she likes the beat. I don't know. We were listening to it in the car and Haley asked if it was the Wolverine song. Like, the movie. If you ever want to feel dated.

After we got home, I pulled up the Logan trailer with Hurt as the music and damn if there isn't a better song for a trailer. Possibly ever. That being the lead in to the movie, with a couple solid gut punches to those of us who grew up with X-Men, makes for one hell of a combination. I think I need to watch it again.
Given her behavior issues Logan is probably too violent for her.

What's your address? I'm going to send her some thrash records.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
in non-knife-and-flashlight news, rode today while the little feller rode with his group. went slowly. was still somewhat achy. was also on the hardtail. glad i got it for the older kid to tool around on and the younger guy to grow into but damn i do not like hardtails, even overforked with a 170mm 36 up front. 2/10. no more banging (around).
Do you have a dropper on it yet?

I am going to make the gross assumption that years of riding too much suspension has made you super stiff.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How about
Tiny but wicked sharp, I could shave with it.
:D
The large knife is a Bark River Kalahari Camp II. Its spine is 1/4" thick or so.
I picked up a Bark River last year. The edge was nice and sharp but wandered and twisted and had a concaved belly that made it impossible to touch the edge up. One side of the knife near the base had a fine bevel, the other side coarse, and that wandered back and forth along the blade. Took for fucking ever to fix it. I should have sent it back.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Do you have a dropper on it yet?

I am going to make the gross assumption that years of riding too much suspension has made you super stiff.
no.....but it's not that. it's just effing harsh, even as a steel frame, with cushcore in the back tire, and overforked at 170. i know how to get off the saddle and let the bike move under me. the trails i was riding were also super rocky/rooty/tech. i do appreciate the improvement in acceleration/climbing, but i just do not have a good time riding it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I picked up a Bark River last year. The edge was nice and sharp but wandered and twisted and had a concaved belly that made it impossible to touch the edge up. One side of the knife near the base had a fine bevel, the other side coarse, and that wandered back and forth along the blade. Took for fucking ever to fix it. I should have sent it back.
You should have. They are expensive, should own their shit. I returned a limited series LT Wright that developed a crack in the edge, they fabricated a one-off replacement for me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
no.....but it's not that. it's just effing harsh, even as a steel frame, with cushcore in the back tire, and overforked at 170. i know how to get off the saddle and let the bike move under me. the trails i was riding were also super rocky/rooty/tech. i do appreciate the improvement in acceleration/climbing, but i just do not have a good time riding it.

Shit is a little smoother out here but I don't miss the suspension when riding mine. I do get tired faster as my legs have to do a shit ton more work when descending. It also helps to ride like you are trying to break your front wheel. Always land nose heavy.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
:stupid:

They are fun in winter, on XC-ish trails, but make me hurt in east coast roxx.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You should have. They are expensive, should own their shit. I returned a limited series LT Wright that developed a crack in the edge, they fabricated a one-off replacement for me.

I couldn't pass up the challenge. That edge is scary now.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I pulled up the Logan trailer with Hurt as the music and damn if there isn't a better song for a trailer. Possibly ever. That being the lead in to the movie, with a couple solid gut punches to those of us who grew up with X-Men, makes for one hell of a combination. I think I need to watch it again.
Logan is lightyears ahead of all the avengers movies....

on par with Nolans batman movies....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Any pics of fire towers in Boone ? We lived on a mountain side that had one at the top back in the late 70s.
I want to say most of the ones around there are gone....but I will look into it...haven"t even cracked the book open yet....

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
@maxyedor have you tried out any of the Nitecore stuff ?

I really like their headlamps.
Negative, but have used a couple damn near identical looking lights, abd have coworkers with others that I’m sure come out of the same China catalog.

I am in the market for a new headlamp, my stash of $5 clearance Princeton Techs from REI is finally drying up. Which one do you have?

Now off the the EDC thread to find more shit I don’t need, but will definitely buy anyway.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Negative, but have used a couple damn near identical looking lights, abd have coworkers with others that I’m sure come out of the same China catalog.

I am in the market for a new headlamp, my stash of $5 clearance Princeton Techs from REI is finally drying up. Which one do you have?

Now off the the EDC thread to find more shit I don’t need, but will definitely buy anyway.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
There are two massive Chinese companies that make nearly all of these lights, Nitecore included; bike lights, head lights, car lights. IMO it’s kinda dumb to pay a marketing organisation double or triple or worse for an LED and a battery in a plastic case. YMMV.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
after the double herniation i had years ago, hard tails and I just don't get along.