Quantcast

Why no more Coil forks?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So when did FOX stop making coil forks? Do they really think that their air "float" forks are so dang good and reliable that no one would buy a coil any more? Same w/ RockShox... No more coil across the entire line of single crowns?!?! Seems like the Boxxer WC is the only coil fork available from the big-2. No coil for x-fusion. No coil for Manitou.

What the %^$&#^ guys!!!

Anyone else out there miss coil forks?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Nowadays ppl don't give a fuck about the performance, they do about the weight of their bikes tho.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I love the performance AND the improved reliability. I change seals about once every 2-3 years.
Yeah, me too, but You know... 38lbs downhill bike is a nono today. It is easier to blame for slow riding a heavier bike than someones lack of skills. Marketing bro.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So when did FOX stop making coil forks? Do they really think that their air "float" forks are so dang good and reliable that no one would buy a coil any more?

I'm still running a coil 40 and coil 36. Converted the new 40 to a coil.
Not surprisingly they feel better than every air fork. It's probably not crazy to email them and tell them your thoughts, I think coil will make a comeback soon now that bikes have taken another forward step in weight.

Yeah, me too, but You know... 38lbs downhill bike is a nono today. It is easier to blame for slow riding a heavier bike than someones lack of skills. Marketing bro.
You can have a light bike with coil suspension...

Last edited:

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I agree w Udi. If I had the same bike as my Megatrail back in the day, it would be a tank.

If I wanted to gravity orient my Megatrail I might gain a few lbs but it would handle almost all of the DH tracks I ride just fine. **

**=On 26" wheels only for safety.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Do they really think that their air "float" forks are so dang good and reliable that no one would buy a coil any more? Same w/ RockShox... No more coil across the entire line of single crowns?!?! ...

What the %^$&#^ guys!!!
Add this one to the what's wrong with this industry thread.

Industry: Coil forks... they feel too good and are too reliable. So much harder to sell you new stuff every season because of it.

Still rocking a coil from 2012... and it runs lovely!

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
You can have a light bike with coil suspension...
Sure, if You have 10k $ for a bike that will last 1 or 2 seasons top. Light dh bikes now are ~30-32lbs. We are talking about e-standards bro. Internet is a tough place to ride.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Sure, if You have 10k $ for a bike that will last 1 or 2 seasons top. Light dh bikes now are ~30-32lbs. We are talking about e-standards bro. Internet is a tough place to ride.
30lb dh bike? Why?!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Obama. Think about it, last coil forks were under Obama. He terked yer gurns AND yer curl ferks!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
So when did FOX stop making coil forks? Do they really think that their air "float" forks are so dang good and reliable that no one would buy a coil any more? Same w/ RockShox... No more coil across the entire line of single crowns?!?! Seems like the Boxxer WC is the only coil fork available from the big-2. No coil for x-fusion. No coil for Manitou.

What the %^$&#^ guys!!!

You can buy an OEM Fox fork with slick black stancions or an old fork and get the new fancy damper cartridge in there.
Other option: The Marzocchi 380. Coil and light. External high and lowspeed rebound and compression setting. Self bleeding cartridge. Fox40 coils fit in. Not sure about the damping, though.

Edit: Didn't the head mechanic from Giant sell some coil kits for the Fox36, Lyrik and Pike? There is nothing on their homepage, though.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Other option: The Marzocchi 380. Coil and light. External high and lowspeed rebound and compression setting. Self bleeding cartridge. Fox40 coils fit in. Not sure about the damping, though.
I'd avoid that one, a few fast buddies of have them (shop sponsorships) and most of them are really sticky + haven't improved over time. Both the espresso and the chrome version. Looked promising but dead failure in my book (strange since this is where Marz used to be best), both Fox and RS have improved a lot in their chassis friction and consistency so I'd stick to those.

Pretty easy to build a coil 40 (just buy the parts from the matching wheelsize low-end coil version), and the coil boxxer goes decent too.

Yeah stuff that dies in a season is lame. Maybe now that people are racing really light bikes there will be some motivation to selectively bring back some heavy but good stuff like coil springs and light 220 rotors.

Or we could just go to 32" wheels instead, more money for the lizard kingdom.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Still running a 2008 Revelation Coil UTurn on my XC hardtail. Supremely reliable.

Meanwhile, I had to replace the air-spring assembly on the 2013 Fox 34 I have on my AM bike.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'm already tired of burping the lowers on my 2017 Fox 36. Flexy tubes and rods migrate air and it feels like crap. I too am tired of this weight reduction at the cost of performance and longer service life.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've come to settle on coil shocks and air forks on both of my bikes.
I thought hard about buying a coil Boxxer but got a screaming deal on the WC so went air spring once again.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I'd avoid that one, a few fast buddies of have them (shop sponsorships) and most of them are really sticky + haven't improved over time. Both the espresso and the chrome version. Looked promising but dead failure in my book (strange since this is where Marz used to be best), both Fox and RS have improved a lot in their chassis friction and consistency so I'd stick to those.
Damn, yet another option gone. I heard that they got delivered with not enough oil and bone dry dust wipers etc. Their bottom out bumper was way too long too.
But I hoped that they improved after the first batch. Seems like nope.:wait:

Do people run the same damper configuration (=shims) in coil sprung forks as in air forks?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
multiple pros are running the boxxer in coil configuration. it's more supple.

I think the reason for not offering them, is consumers are more concerned with the numbers. They see a fork weighing x amount more than y fork, and think it's better. It's a race to the bottom, really, with each mfg trying to outdo the other for weight. Which is fine, we all want light stuff, but this affects sales, which removes the products that don't sell as much which was the coil stuff (thinking 36 van here). For lower travel forks it's not much difference.

Now with enduro in full swing and riders using coil shocks for performance benefits in rough, long trails, maybe the forks will follow by demand. However, it's easier to deal with heat on a fork than a shock.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I'm already tired of burping the lowers on my 2017 Fox 36. Flexy tubes and rods migrate air and it feels like crap. I too am tired of this weight reduction at the cost of performance and longer service life.
I'm seriously thinking about drilling and tapping holes in my fork to install some motion pro bleed valves.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Still running a 2008 Revelation Coil UTurn on my XC hardtail. Supremely reliable.

Meanwhile, I had to replace the air-spring assembly on the 2013 Fox 34 I have on my AM bike.
I have a 2009 coil u-turn Pike on my DJ bike!! I love the coil u-turn design. Adjustable travel and way more reliable than any air system. I just replace the seals every few years and it's good to go.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I still have 4xPikes(3coil,1air), 1xRevs(air) and 2xRebas(air) from that era. (completely killed a few of each too)
You're kidding yourselves if you think that any of those era of RS fork are hugely more reliable than today's.
I could list all the problems I've encountered with each and every one over the years. but... well... it's 2017 and I may not have that long left on this planet.
If it's ultimate reliability you're after I also still have a 2002 MonsterT I might part with.
Yeah. you have just been told to move on from the Forum's biggest luddite.

Rest assured. coils will be back. same as before. only much much moar £XP£N$IV£

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

What the %^$&#^ guys!!!

Funny you posting this, I bought a Van 36 last week, had it serviced at the local official Fox establishment and it blew me away. I finally can tune the compression damping to my liking AND have small bump compliance that is worth the name. It is a 2011 one with the 2015 RC2 cartridge. My now second single crown fork is a 2010 36 Float with the same 2015 RC2 cartridge. The Float is working, my weight fits the coil neg spring, but it's miles away from the Vanilla. No rides on 2017 Float though.

Now I'm thinking about a possibility to install the 2016 or 2017 lowers, any ideas/hints? Udi?

Last edited:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I have a 160mm COIL Vengeance on my trail bike. When I get a new longer travel non-DH bike, (Not gonna use the "E" word) I'm tempted to swap it over.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
@Udi did something like that back in the days to the boxxer lowers, for lubrication tho.
I need some measurements off a 40 to see where they are putting the bleed valves for the 17s. My only concern would be if there is enough material for the threads. I know the Xfusion metric has them but they have cast bosses on their lowers for the bleed valves to screw into and the 40 looks to be a housing cast into the lowers that the valve drops into.

OR....the could make a 36 lower with the valves that retro fit, but I'm not holding my breath.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Do people run the same damper configuration (=shims) in coil sprung forks as in air forks?
I've tried both the coil and air specific dampers (float RC2 and old coil RC2 w/ HBO) and IMO there is no significant need for a different damper in a coil fork, if we are talking about Fox. I prefer the non-HBO cartridge all round (easy enough to disable on the older cartridge anyway, so both work). The RS Charger damper could do with more HS stack preload on both the coil/air boxxer IMO, and it loses out with not having the external adjuster, but again this is unrelated to the spring.

The main difference with an air spring is that you need more compression damping to get the same level of support (due to nonlinearities and the resultant need to run a lower average spring rate if one desires a similar initial spring rate to a coil spring). So unless you were lacking damping on an air fork, converting it to coil should only require backing off a few external clicks - assuming you picked the right spring rate.

As a sidenote though - I think you ride BOS, and honestly I think their current air fork spring is very good - better than other air forks. If you're happy with that I'd probably stick with it. I dislike the company (french service and questionable damper design) but I've ridden quite a few of the FCV Idylles now (one on couscous' bike, others on big heavy guys' bikes) and they all felt good even after bulk use. Seems like a solid chassis.

Now I'm thinking about a possibility to install the 2016 or 2017 lowers, any ideas/hints? Udi?
Yeah, I actually have all the parts to make the fork you describe but I gave up on the project because honestly I don't ride my spenduro bike enough to bother (the 40 conversion on the other hand... :cupidarrow: ). The other reason I didn't bother is because while Fox advertise 100g saving on the new lowers, I weighed both and they are identical, AND the old lowers fit 650b with plenty of clearance - so unless you want the change in offset or increase in A2C there's really no point.

If for some reason you were still keen, you'd need to fabricate some parts or buy more from the new fork than just lowers - because the new lowers are deeper and the new uppers have longer stanchions (I have both 2017 parts here). The damper threads are also different. I believe if you use both the upper and lower from the 2017 then the coil rod will fit and thus it would be a working fork (with the new damper), but in your case you'd need many expensive parts.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive felt some 380's that felt as good as my 888 Evo Ti and others that feel as stick as everything else on the market. i figured id have to cross my fingers on which one i get if i did go the 380 route.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I need some measurements off a 40 to see where they are putting the bleed valves for the 17s. My only concern would be if there is enough material for the threads. I know the Xfusion metric has them but they have cast bosses on their lowers for the bleed valves to screw into and the 40 looks to be a housing cast into the lowers that the valve drops into.

OR....the could make a 36 lower with the valves that retro fit, but I'm not holding my breath.
Maybe You can put it on the bottom of the fork leg (it is the thickest part of the casting)? Drill a small hole and tap it for a schrader valve core? Put the bike up side down and just press the valve to burp the lowers.