Quantcast

Why no more Coil forks?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Think of the advantages - your coil fork is now capable of leaking air!
Actually, there's an ACS-4 coil conversion kit for pneumatic ABS in the works.
Available next year at the low price of $389.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Actually, there's an ACS-4 coil conversion kit for pneumatic ABS in the works.
Available next year at the low price of $389.

To be fair, we all remember being able to buy coil springs at $30-50 or so, it's no wonder that something had to be done to raise the price. It's not cheap to keep lizards fed.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The answer to your question is somewhat travel-dependent. Personally I'd rather jump up to the 170mm 36 if running out of travel was an issue (= no weight penalty from memory) rather than lug around a sealed air spring unit inside my coil spring. But, full disclosure: I ride a DH bike for stuff that needs 203mm of travel - I run a coil converted new 40 (standard spring for my weight per Fox guidelines), which I've tested with the HBO damper and non-HBO damper. I prefer the non-HBO and very rarely bottom it out (usually only on a botched big landing).
I just had a conversation with Udi regarding removing the HBO in my coil 40 as I wasn't getting full travel and I guess I just don't bottom out that hard. I don't really have a dog in this fight though; I'm happy with my 36's performance with the air spring, but I agree that it would be neat to see a $100 option with just the coil spring and shaft.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I figured this might be the correct thread for my question:
What do I need to convert a 2016 boxxer into a coil fork? Seems to be doable with the right parts from "team", right?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah definitely Mo(n)arch - you can use the team internals from any of the 35mm coil boxxers from memory, I had a friend convert a 2016 Air/WC to coil with no problems. You'd just need the spring rod assembly, spring, and topcap/spacers I guess? I've usually managed to re-use the air topcap and make up my own spacers, but it's been a while since I owned a boxxer. Obviously you can't switch back to air due to likely stanchion scoring, but I doubt that's a concern.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
shit...for some reason I read '230' because that's what all the rest of them are.

Nevermind :D
Haha, no worries. I know Rockshox is going to make aftermarket versions of it eventually. Hopefully in my size. Any advice for the fork? Doesn't need to be to crazy as I do have a DH bike. I just want something for when I do rougher terrain and not have to worry about wearing out the parts quicker for normal trail riding.

Just realized... The RT would also be 3mm too big, not to small. Derp.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
For anyone interested in the Push kit, I emailed them to get some info about a couple of things and here's what I got back -

- You will be able to buy the lower assemblies separately so you can change travel without buying a whole other kit; pricing TBD

- No 180mm version coming

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Are you suggesting that I linear rate fork would be acceptable for a wide range of terrain and obstacles? Having spent the last year and a half testing coil forks I can assure you that the ABS is very necessary. I think anyone who rode the old style FOX VAN36 can attest to both putting the hydraulic bottoming piston to the maximum setting and having to over-spring the fork in order to keep it from bottoming.

Darren
Interesting, your friends at TF Tuned haven't bothered with anything on their kit. Doing it wrong?

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
What do you guys think of polyurethane bottomout bumpers, especially if durometer and length were correct. Anyone ever get those working well?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that was only part of the reason my 2010 boxxer was so terrible, but otherwise I can't really comment. I'd rather just have a hydraulic bottom out or thin pad to keep things from really getting bad...then you get 100% travel rather than 80% and 20% oh shit panic travel.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
So i can definitely say my 2010 boxxer and 2011 boxxer werent terrible because of that bumper, lol, the entire chassis just sucked, misaligned drilled holes in lower, super tight bushings, shitty seals.

Im just curious if anyone got the urethane bumpers to play nice. Length and durometer are very important and ive been looking at spring curves vs deflection on different durometer rods. On paper it should work.

that was only part of the reason my 2010 boxxer was so terrible, but otherwise I can't really comment. I'd rather just have a hydraulic bottom out or thin pad to keep things from really getting bad...then you get 100% travel rather than 80% and 20% oh shit panic travel.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
With no preload adjuster, this is highly suspect and possibly just a cap that covers the air valve.
According to Noah from MRP, that is indeed a coil ribbon, and there is a preload adjustment underneath the black cap. The orange dial on the bottom is... unknown. Probably Ramp Control.