Quantcast

Why Not Bigger Shock???

etard

Chimp
Oct 15, 2009
I am sure this Has been posted and discussed at length, but here it is again:

I am in the process of building up a Cove G spot and I found a newish Fox DHX 5.0. The problem is that I asked the guy to measure the eye to eye length and he must have measured something else, cuz it's at least an inch too big. I know it will raise my rear end a bit, and I know that suspension geometry is meant for certain size shocks, but what will happen to the handling if the shock is an inch too big?

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
A shock a full inch too long will really suck, your bike will be really steep and high up (if it even fits) and the shock rate might be wonky.

etard

Chimp
Oct 15, 2009
Thanks for the reply, here is what I am thinking now.

I have a freind who runs a CNC and he said he can make me anything I want for free. So I am thinking about having him make me new suspension linkage. By the way, I have the original G Spot with the nice CNC linkage. Anyway, I have the material on hand, I even have some 4mm carbon fiber sheet to add stiffness etc... I could have him machine a new linkage system with new shock mount location that would fit this new, longer shock. I don't want to mess with changing the head tube angle or the BB height, but I could have him make it with different mounting locations for the shock, possibly for different length shocks. That way I could experiment with diffrent setups, shock lengths, and stroke ratios. It's not gonna coat me anything extra, and I could just bolt the old setup back on if I fail miserably at my first attempt to improve an already great bike. Am I insane to think that I could improve upon this design? Probably, but I also enjoy fabrication and design, so it could be a learning experience for me. I also want to carve out the word "cove" on one side and "G Spot" on the other in the linkage for lightening purposes. I don't know why they didn't do this originally instead of putting it on the frame. Thanks for any input, great forum here guys.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
A longer stroke shock will be valved differently than a short one. You're messing with a pretty delicate system and going to a lot of trouble when you could jut buy a different shock.