Quantcast

Why not ride with a back protection?

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Ok so I tend with some protection for DH, helmet, knee pads and back protector. Sometimes I even have a neck brace.

But as we all can see during wc runs, rampage, fmb and so on most pros don't run with back protection. Why? I never felt that my protection held me back but it did probably save back at least once. (just minor damage to spine)

Are you riding with one and if you don't why not?

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Quite a few Rampage riders had back protection this year...
Yeah I saw quite a few chest/back protectors (roost protectors) too. I do wonder the same thing as the OP though. Why you wouldn't blows me away. BUT....I don't need a roost-tector for keyboard cowboy'ing, so I am not going to judge.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Gwin and Bruni ride a lot with protectors on. Even elbow pads.
But yeah, it should be mandatory to wear a back protector at races like it is in France.
Curious, do you know what they wear? Always wondered what armor, if any, that the elite downhillers used.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I wonder the same thing as well, after an incident w/ a minor T11 fracture I have been on the search for super un-intrusive back armor...I really wish G-Form would make a T shirt for this...

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Once was a time when body armor meant no exposed skin and dressing up like a modern-day gladiator. I'm glad we moved away from that, but some of the riders are taking unnecessary risks going the "no protection" route.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Gwin uses the Shock Doctor vest from TLD and the slim elbow pads from TLD. Isaw that in a team video, prepping for racing or something. He had always taped one arm with that physio tape. I can't find a picture at the moment.
I didn't see pics of what Bruni is using, but he was definitely riding burly arm pads during the Andorra race. Weren't they supported by Dainese or something like that?

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I saw some nice looking TLD body pads at a motoshop on the weekend. Looked slim, fit under a jersey and tight fitting. I'd be hesitant to call it armor though, its just some foam pad...

Does a hydration pack count as some padding? Even when just doing a local lap of the forest and under an hour I still wear it. I feel naked without it.

Will armour even prevent most big injuries? It seems to me like it will just prevent most flesh wounds, but if you drop 4 feet and land on your arm or straight to your asshole(s), I don't think anything will stop you from breaking something. No?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Curious, do you know what they wear? Always wondered what armor, if any, that the elite downhillers used.
Not sure about the brand, but didn't they ride cardboard "armor"? Still waiting for a company to release them. ;)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I wonder the same thing as well, after an incident w/ a minor T11 fracture I have been on the search for super un-intrusive back armor...I really wish G-Form would make a T shirt for this...
I wear a raceface t-shirt with d30 back protection. It's not hard shell plastic, but is much better than nothing, is super comfortable and fits well with a Leatt.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I wear a raceface t-shirt with d30 back protection. It's not hard shell plastic, but is much better than nothing, is super comfortable and fits well with a Leatt.
Do you have Flank Core or Ambush spine? I was looking at them and wondering whether the lack of a zip made them annoying to take off.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Do you have Flank Core or Ambush spine? I was looking at them and wondering whether the lack of a zip made them annoying to take off.
Not sure. It's basically a sleeveless shirt with the d30 pad in a pocket on the back. It also has two small pockets on the side for keys, cash, whatever.
It isn't as easy as just taking of a shirt, but it's not that cumbersome.

edit: one thing, these fit 'snug' for sure. I wear large and this is snug enough to wear under a normal large jersey. I suppose that is to prevent unwanted movement in a crash.

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Not sure. It's basically a sleeveless shirt with the d30 pad in a pocket on the back. It also has two small pockets on the side for keys, cash, whatever.
It isn't as easy as just taking of a shirt, but it's not that cumbersome.
Cool, thx.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If you not crash on spiky stones a d3O style protector has way better absorption qualities than anything plastic with EVA foam behind it.

Dainese also makes a really nice vest: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dainese-soft-flex-back-protector/

Scott has the Recruit Pro compression shirt with back/shoulder/elbow d3O pads. I really like it, my only issue is that it doesn't have a chest protector. This means it can't be used at races where a chest pad is required. As the pads can be removed separately it wouldn't hurt to have them in. You still can take them out later to adjust the protection to your needs. Hi BuckoW, are you listening????

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
[QUOTE=" Will armour even prevent most big injuries? It seems to me like it will just prevent most flesh wounds, but if you drop 4 feet and land on your arm or straight to your asshole(s), I don't think anything will stop you from breaking something. No?[/QUOTE]

I think if I was a pro I wouldn't want a flesh wound, even some bruising can keep of training... Why not try to keep your body fresh for a long career? And bruising, when your in pain your not bringing your A game. why give the other guys/girls that advantage?

If I would have known how my body would feel now that I'm 38 when I was 17-18 I would have worn more protection...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
How well do these work with neck braces?
Not sure. Only tried it on in a shop w/o a brace. I am normally riding with the above mentioned Scott shirt or an old Dainese Safety Jacket, both w/o brace, so just tried it out of curiosity more than buying interest.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I saw some nice looking TLD body pads at a motoshop on the weekend. Looked slim, fit under a jersey and tight fitting. I'd be hesitant to call it armor though, its just some foam pad...

Will armour even prevent most big injuries? It seems to me like it will just prevent most flesh wounds, but if you drop 4 feet and land on your arm or straight to your asshole(s), I don't think anything will stop you from breaking something. No?
I rode with no armor (knee pads and leatt only) for a long time.

The last two seasons I have been wearing the same shirt that gwin wears. (assuming).

I have it in short sleeve. I am VERY surprised what the "foam pad" will protect. It IS armor. I've taken some pretty gnarly crashes, this weekend at Mountain Creek included, and it works quite well. I feel like it has certainly protected me from broken ribs at least a few times.

I had a fairly high speed OTB on Friday, took a rock directly to the hip, I also wear the TLD undershort with hip/thigh/tailbone padding, and if I didn't have my shorts on my weekend likely would have been over.

On saturday I went over the bars coming off the ski slope and back into the woods, I landed directly on my head lawn dart style, then slammed onto my back, again, the slim troy lee shirt provided FAR more protection than I expected it ever would have when I bought it last season.

I'll be ordering a long sleeve version of the shirt with the integrated elbow pads for next year. That will at least give me the option of going long or short sleeve depending on the track and or weather.

ALL of that said, I don't expect any armor to protect me from rampage-esque 50ft+ huck to deaths. It does however work very well and has kept me riding more often than not.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
When DHing, I wear a TLD shirt thing. It works pretty well and is Leatt compatible.

When enudur-bro-ing, I wear a pack.

Having nothing on my back feels weird now. Definitely a feeling of vulnerability.