Quantcast

Why so early Mr. Daylight?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ok, I am interested in hearing some monkey opinions on this, god help me: My coworker's mother passed away at the calling hour/funeral is Saturday. I am not sure if I should stop by and pay my respects. The coworker is the guy I am replacing, whom I've met once but speak to him frequently via phone and Zoom. We've actually developed a pretty close working relationship in the 10 months I've worked here. I am not sure what the attend/no attend etiquette is in this weird situation, not to mention Covid and all of the restrictions people should be following. I don't mind going, but I don't know if I should be going. I don't know who else from work may or may not attend.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Ok, I am interested in hearing some monkey opinions on this, god help me: My coworker's mother passed away at the calling hour/funeral is Saturday. I am not sure if I should stop by and pay my respects. The coworker is the guy I am replacing, whom I've met once but speak to him frequently via phone and Zoom. We've actually developed a pretty close working relationship in the 10 months I've worked here. I am not sure what the attend/no attend etiquette is in this weird situation, not to mention Covid and all of the restrictions people should be following. I don't mind going, but I don't know if I should be going. I don't know who else from work may or may not attend.
I say go.
You being there may help this guy get through what I'd think is an awful, awful day. He'll appreciate the show of support.
Never mind if any else from work is or is not going.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thank you. Did the curved base of those things work on the square carbon tubes on your frame?
yes, I believe I compressed the sticky to the frame with the 3M cover attached, then removed the cover and pressed it against the frame. They are made of metal so they bend easy. Once bent it's difficult to attach the C-clip, but it's doable.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Will attending actually make him feel better, or is it more about making yourself feel like you're doing the right thing?

Some people prefer work/life separation. I'd reach out the guy and your offer condolences as well as any help you can give on the work side of things. Then be honest about the fact that you're not sure whether to attend, see what he says, and go from there.

Having been through it I can tell you that I wouldn't have wanted anyone but closest friends and family members around on the day (and TBH, not even some of those).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
when I was starting my career, I skipped a co-worker's daughters' funeral. I was not close with the co-worker (we barely ever talked) but I knew how hard such a thing would be to go through. I wanted to support him, but didn't want to be just another person crowding the back hallway so I stayed away. I regret it to this day- even if I saw him for 3 seconds, it would have been better to be there than not.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
And? Is it plush off the top with good mid-stroke support and bottomless feeling?
Honestly I like it a lot. It is VERY early and I basically pumped it with air and headed out without adjusting compression or checking for sag, just plopped it on and rode.

It's quite impressive over square hits and rides very high, which is kind of weird. It makes the front end feel tall and slack so the handling is a bit different. I can't tell you that I can feel the difference in trail # as it moves through the travel, but it does seem to resist brake dive- making cornering a very different experience. I really like the three-mode compression switch, it pairs well with the monarch+ on the rear end and makes the ride there, ride down, and ride up a little bit nicer.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Also, 'nuts of sashimi'? Why do I feel like I've missed something yuge here?
:stupid:

As for the funeral, yeah maybe weird but I say go. Not too long after I started at the airline, my supervisor in PDX lost his youngest daughter at just about a year old. She'd been born SUPER premature, and it was a miracle she even made it as long as she did. I didn't really know the guy outside of work, but in retrospect, I'm glad I went. Most of the guys from work went to the funeral, it made us all a closer bunch, and I know Jim really appreciated it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am going to be a contrarian and say that a funeral of a child is a different case from a death of a parent, especially if elderly. I'd be seen at the former, but not at the latter, unless I was friends with the parent, too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am going to be a contrarian and say that a funeral of a child is a different case from a death of a parent, especially if elderly. I'd be seen at the former, but not at the latter, unless I was friends with the parent, too.
I would think it was strange for someone who wasn't close to the deceased to attend. But that comes from my weird upbringing from my weird family so the societal norm is probably the exact opposite.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I would think it was strange for someone who wasn't close to the deceased to attend. But that comes from my weird upbringing from my weird family so the societal norm is probably the exact opposite.
It's less strange if you're close to someone who was close to the deceased. So for example if a father-in-law you never met died, it would be appropriate to be there. But you'd be there for your wife, not the deceased (assuming she wanted to go and wanted your support).

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Don’t go but send flowers. My aunt passed away recently and we did not attend her funeral. Just not worth the risk.