Quantcast

why stiffer spring in fork = nose dive?

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
curious as to the mechanics of why this happened.

i have an '11 boxxer rc. soft spring, rebound set to 10 in for smoother/faster places i ride. i left that in there for a while.

went to a different spot more fr oriented w/ bigger jumps, and dropped the firm spring in. figuring that the firm spring for my weight (160lb, the spring is rated for 180-200lb) would cause the rebound to speed up, i slowed the rebound down 2 clicks, ending up at 12 in.

i do my first run for the day, and the first double i hit, i got almost hucked over the bars and nose dived. ended up speeding up my rebound resulting at 5 in from fully out.

was my original thinking of a heavier rated spring, springing back to its uncompressed form faster than a lighter-rated spring, thus causing a sped up rebound, incorrect?

obviously it is if the results are the opposite of what i thought, but im curious why?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Im pretty sure your initial setup ideas were correct. As long as you verify the springs are what you think they are...
Is it possible you created an imbalanced situation of slow rebound up front with faster out back? That could cause some bucking. Too slow rebound shouldn't impact jumping, but too fast, or imbalanced tuning front-->rear could.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
did you get bucked on take off or on landing?
it may be the cause that you didn't slow down the rebound enough, or you may have missed to adjust your body position further to the back. if you ride on your forks much this may well happen.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As someone mentioned - slower rebound on the front than on the rear would be my guess.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Does the increased spring rate on fork springs really warrant that much of a difference in rebound speed. They shouldnt differ as much as rear springs and therefore maybe you slowed it down to much.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Could have something to do with the "stinkbug" effect of having a stiffer front end than the rear. If the fork is riding up higher in it's travel than normal and you didn't make any adjustments to the rear suspension to balance it out, I could see having some issues.