Quantcast

Why the hell won't iTunes install correctly?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just downloaded the new iTunes and now I can't run it. It says that "Quicktime version 7.0d0 is installed, iTunes requires Quicktime version 7.1.3 or later. Please reinstall iTunes."

But isn't the installer supposed to install Quicktime as well? When I try to DL QT it just gives me the same installer bundle that installs iTunes.

It's on an XP machine.

Any ideas?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
That sucks...The export library function is great. I just moved from XP to a intel duo2core mac and was able to export my Itunes onto a dvd and import them in about 30 minutes.

I'd uninstall Quicktime completely and run the installer again.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I already tried re-installing the bundle (which inclues iTunes and Qt) but it did no good.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Will this be a pain in the ass? Yes. Shouldn't the bundled software include everything you need to get 'er up and going? Yes. But hey, the bundle you're trying to install isn't working, and I am certainly no IT champion, but this is what I would try:

1. Uninstall Quicktime and iTunes. (This is probably key... since the older version of Quicktime is sitting on your machine, the bundled installer may not be installing the newer version)
2. Find the version of Quicktime asked for (7.1.3 or later?) by itself
3. Install Quicktime
4. Install iTunes

Or I suppose you could also try just uninstalling Quicktime and then running the bundled installer first, but whatever.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
But the thing is, when I go to Apple's site and go to the QT page and DL QT, it just gives me the installer again.

Is there anywhere OTHER than Apple's site where I can DL the new QT?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
But the thing is, when I go to Apple's site and go to the QT page and DL QT, it just gives me the installer again.

Is there anywhere OTHER than Apple's site where I can DL the new QT?
UN-install QT and iTunes and start over w/ the single installer.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Anything with an apple logo is supposed to "just work" you clearly aren't having any problems, wait to come down from your mushroom induced halllucinations and you'll realize that you've not only installed iTunes, you've also completed your tax return ordered all your christmas gifts and invested your money so well you no longer need to work for the rest of your life.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Anything with an apple logo is supposed to "just work" you clearly aren't having any problems, wait to come down from your mushroom induced halllucinations and you'll realize that you've not only installed iTunes, you've also completed your tax return ordered all your christmas gifts and invested your money so well you no longer need to work for the rest of your life.
:huh: