Quantcast

Why this shock hardware wont fit through bushings.

Aug 23, 2011
So I bought a used vivid air that comes from a v10c. Then I relized my Elka hardware wont fit it. So then I went and bought 8x50 and 8x24mm hardware assuming it would fit into the Vivid airs eyelet. It does not.

1. Does the v10c have diffrent eyelet/bushing dimensions and I need to diffrent bushings for the standard stuff which would make no sense because I only see the 1/2" bushings around.

2. What are my options?

3. Help, please.

Edit the SC ones are also 8mm whcih makes that problem not real.

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
You are saying your shock hardware won't slide thru the du bushings? Only thing I can think of is inccorect hardware diameter. Not sure how sanding the du would make it fit, or how you would even go about doing it, but I imagine doing something like that would just make your du's wear out exponentially faster. Get your hands on some digital calipers and measure the inner diameter of the du's and make sure your hardware is the correct size, if not then save yourself the future headache and get the correct hardware.

Aug 23, 2011
It is the correct hardware, thats the problem. Unless Rockshox manufactured these wrong I can't see that being the problem. But I dont know what else would cause it.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Hardware can be really tough to push through, especially when everything is new. A vise helps.

Also, check the material on the bushings.
I have seen some bushings that have been badly installed (primarily by bushing tools like the one SRAM make, "screw type") that have had a little metal lip messing up the ID.

Aug 23, 2011
I am pushing hard enough for it to go like - that much in, and take the like orange coating off with it. I might try a vice, just want to make sure this is like...yeah

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Personally i have noticed that RS own hardware has always been a lot harder to push through shock eylets, especially when both parts are new. Maybe it is the ano that could be making the od a little bigger than it should?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I would still get some digital calipers and measure the od of the hardware and the id of the du's, you will at the very least be able to see how far off the measurements are.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
If you absolutely can't get them to fit in, then try sanding them to reduce the overall diameter. Just know if its not done precisely and the surface isn't smooth, it's going to wear your du's out much faster than what is considered "normal"

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Any new reducers I've installed into new DU bushings have always peeled some of the orange coating. Press them in gently with a vice...no hammer.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Are they really pressed in? I am really pushing these things hard, maybe i'll do a real light sanding of the reducers?
Yes, pressed in as in requiring force to push them through. Sanding anything down will only reduce the lifespan of the fit between the components. Maybe someone else should be working on your bike?