Quantcast

why western nc sucks

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
at least for 3 different weekends i have tried to get people to help me build. Not just on sunday or just on staurday but all weekend. I have had approximately 0 people show up. Not a single person.

just thought i would throw that out there.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Damn, dude, that sucks. Lemme get my ass moved and situated and I'll make to haul up there to help. But we gotta ride, too.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
well, unless you live in a-ville...everywhere else is a hell of a drive. the day that i have more than 3 hours at one time to do something is the day my kids are out of the house :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
lux said:
Damn, dude, that sucks. Lemme get my ass moved and situated and I'll make to haul up there to help. But we gotta ride, too.
werd dawg

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
If I were only in Asheville Ben............good luck though, I know it ain't always easy finding help. Luckily I have a nice small but reliable support group that is always willing to do a day's work out at Zod's Stunt Ranch :thumb:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Maybe you are just targeting the wrong audience. Why not join an existing trail work group (I know insert all the W__dy K__n hatred here). But then.......

Start sucking away people in that existing group that want to be a little more agressive?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Maybe you are just targeting the wrong audience. Why not join an existing trail work group (I know insert all the W__dy K__n hatred here). But then.......

Start sucking away people in that existing group that want to be a little more agressive?
well i know most of those guys and they are not interested. Furthermore i am not into the woody keen hatred thing. That was a while ago and i may not agree with his methods or some of his ideas, but whatever, the guy does build nice sustainable trails.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
well i know most of those guys and they are not interested. .
You know most of the regulars I bet... But I also bet that they get a pretty good showing of noobies (I mean that in the Trail Work sense, not rider sense). What I mean is, peeps looking to get into TM would be more likely to show up to one of their workdays, so you might be able to make some new friends so to say ;)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Have you figured out why they are not showing up?
It took me a couple of years working at Wolf, before it
clicked for me why people in Asheville don't show.
Its because Pisgah already has a gazillion sweet trails.
And most people would rather be bombing down Black Mountain
whenever they get some freetime off work as opposed to
building new stuff. It sucks but whatcha gonna do?
Basically if you want to build stuff, get a couple of good friends and
have at it, because that is about the only help you are gonna get.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
biggins said:
well i know most of those guys and they are not interested. Furthermore i am not into the woody keen hatred thing. That was a while ago and i may not agree with his methods or some of his ideas, but whatever, the guy does build nice sustainable trails.
I worked with that cat one time at Du Pont (which is funny considering that I had never ridden there before that day).
Anyway, it was sweet. We built a rock garden for "erosion" reasons. It was nice. People tooling around could just bang through it, or you could come cooking into it and jump out.
Everything we did that day, we made the trail more fun and also repaired it as well. But I don't know the guy other than that.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well, i understand that completely i love pisgah as well but i am looking to build more flowy, bermy kinds of trails. I only really have one riding friend here that might help dig but he is always busy doing something else. I just dont understand the lack of interest.I tried to take the situation into my own hand and went and worked a little by myself but i did not get crap done.

bigginsr

Chimp
Aug 29, 2004
want me and bigginsmom to come help this weekend. be a good way to celebrate
our anniversary.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
bro, contact William Wallace at Asheville School right down the road. His little grommets can build BIG STUFF and would love to not be limited by their campus goons. Do you know who I'm talking about. If not, I'll give you his email. They're back in school and I guarantee they'll dig like inmates

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
genpowell71 said:
Biggins, I would love to help you build out there. I even have access to some wood that you can use for stunts. The only issue I have is that where you want to build is about 7 hours away from Columbus GA.
Didn't realize you were in GA. If you're up for the drive, we've got a ton of crap to ride in Macon, including a huge dirt quarry with plenty of big hucks and 20-40' deep gully runs.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
Good call Butch, Wally (William) has got a horde of kids @ Asheville school that build all the time. If you could get Wally into it, you could get lots of help. If I see him at the shop, I'll mention it to him for you.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
los jefes said:
Good call Butch, Wally (William) has got a horde of kids @ Asheville school that build all the time. If you could get Wally into it, you could get lots of help. If I see him at the shop, I'll mention it to him for you.
who are you "los jefes"? :monkey:

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
I work at the "evil empire" Liberty with Tom V. and Stiles. I've been there for 5 or so years so I've made your aquaintance a time or two. I ride an orange DHR with an Avy and a world cup fork, just thinking you may recognize my bike if not myself.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Jeremy R said:
Have you figured out why they are not showing up?
It took me a couple of years working at Wolf, before it
clicked for me why people in Asheville don't show.
Its because Pisgah already has a gazillion sweet trails.
And most people would rather be bombing down Black Mountain
whenever they get some freetime off work as opposed to
building new stuff. It sucks but whatcha gonna do?
Basically if you want to build stuff, get a couple of good friends and
have at it, because that is about the only help you are gonna get.

This is true, all our stuff is pretty much a couple regular guys that are up for building whenever.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
T-Pirate said:
This is true, all our stuff is pretty much a couple regular guys that are up for building whenever.
Yep, it is a double edge sword. If we did not have anything to ride everybody would be getting together and building stuff. But since we have so many great trails, all building seems to be done in small groups. Oh well,
this area is still a super sweet place to live for mountain biking. Its January, and I rode in Brevard this weekend in short sleeves. :D

Sorry we missed you guys up there Andrew. We could have all rode together. Maybe this week.