Quantcast

Why won't DVD's play in my DVD drive?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I just threw "Rise" into my DVD drive and it won't play. I get this.

"Windows Media Player is currently unable to play DVD video. Try decreasing the number of colors displayed on your monitor or decreasing the screen resolution. For additional solutions, click More Information to access the DVD Troubleshooter."

I dinked with my display settings, but it doesn't make a difference.

I'd try another DVD....but it's aaaalllll the way downstairs.....

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
MMike said:
Nope... I just got the machine so I haven't loaded any software yet. But it SHOULD work with WMP shouldn't it?
It should, I'm not a real computery person, but considering your comp has a dvd drive have you checked to see if it has any dvd specific software on it?

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Yeah, turn it over Dude!

I had the same problem with my computer and like the other poster said, there should be software already installed on your computer that accompanies the DVD player in your computer.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
did you build this machine? if not, and it has a dvd drive, it should have some other software besides WMP. if not, most of the dvds i've played have had their own software.

just curious, what res are you running?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I just installed Interactual...(it came up when I threw in another movie).

Same error.

Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem. Lowering your screen resolution or color depth may fix the problem

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
so what resolution and color depth are you trying to use...?

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
it sounds more like its a problem with the video/graphics card, what card are you running and do you have all the drivers up-to-date?
if you havnt i'd seriously sudgest you go to the makers site and download the latest driver.

i've never encountered this kind of problem but if there is ever any problems that are graphics related i usually uninstall all of the graphics drivers and reinstall the latest ones.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Hmm.. Maybe I'll have to beat up on the guy that built it. Originally, it wasn't going to have a DVD burner, but it was changed at the last minute. Maybe he forgot to install something. Because I gots nuthin' but WMP.

I'm not gonna mess with the drivers until I talk to the guy...

Thanks all...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
First off, up your resolution, and set your color depth to 32 bit. Then try another DVD, and make sure you have the DVD plugin. WMP can't play a DVD without one, if I recall correctly.