Quantcast

Why would the "US made DH frame" Thread be shut down?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
The thread was not deleted, so anyone is free to view it. If this is a topic of importance, you are obviously free to start a new one and link to the old one in your initial post.

As I recall from reading the synopsis is:
-Tiawan frames can be made just as well as US made.
-Mfg's that blame oversees production are at fault for not properly managing said vendors
- If you want a US made frame, that is commendable and Foes and Intnese are US made still, as are a few small other frame builders.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I asked to shut it down. I've just decided to ride my Intense SS and be the whore that I am known to be for a certain company. I didn't want to start flaming out like I did a few years ago with a similar thread about Santa Cruz that ended with me in an altercation with one of their reps. I am on good enough terms with the company that I am "y u mad bro" about right now that I don't want to burn the bridges.

Mind you I might change my mind if it makes it to August and I am sans frame, but I'll jump that canyon when I get there.

SCARY

Not long enough
So,the Liberal Media elite attack dogs got to you,huh?It's a shame-in an election year,that one can't express his concern for the failed policies of the president,that cause the mass evacuation of good paying ,American jobs to overseas factory's,where children and their tiny hands,do the most complicated tasks in the carbon bike building fad,for pennies a week and you and I can't take advantage of those childrens' good fortune and buy cheap,quality carbon fiber frames and accessories ,because the companies like Shrek,Fanta Jews and Wevil are doubling down on their profits because of the perceived "dark art" status of the process.Fascism!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
How are foreign made products any different than the every day products we all use and buy? We talk like bikes are isolated from the global marketplace, when we use products everyday made from global supply chains. I love my FTW frame and am planning on a trip for me and my son to see the shop and maybe some welding in action, but even Frank himself has said (now over 6 years back) that quality in Asia is catching up. If you use Moore's Law (which essentially states that technology doubles in capacity every two years), one might venture to say that the playing field has been leveled.

America is no longer a manufacturing country, it's service based.

SCARY

Not long enough
We can't afford to just be serviced based.It'll work it's way back.Not everyone can go to college,or wants to.Internet based things don't actually supply anything of value.It has to be made.And as other country's catch up to us,it no longer is advantages to ship stuff from there to here .

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Large Zerode wont happen until the next production run, and that will depend on when Rob finds a new manufacturer. It wouldn't surprise me if the raw frames go to NZ then back to the US distrib... The modded Alfine and small parts all come from NZ. I am sure Ian can tell us if the US distrib assembles them though....
But this is ridemonkey why would we want accurate info when we can just argue.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How are foreign made products any different than the every day products we all use and buy? We talk like bikes are isolated from the global marketplace, when we use products everyday made from global supply chains. I love my FTW frame and am planning on a trip for me and my son to see the shop and maybe some welding in action, but even Frank himself has said (now over 6 years back) that quality in Asia is catching up. If you use Moore's Law (which essentially states that technology doubles in capacity every two years), one might venture to say that the playing field has been leveled.

While I agree they may be catching up, the shift from taiwan to china is making things just as crappy. When I go to the home depot, I expect the tools I buy to fail, and I try to buy the ones that I know I can replace in two years with quality tools, because those tools are currently unavailable or unaffordable to me as a first time homebuyer. I fully expect products from china to be ****, and that's why I don't want to buy bikes from there. Taiwan is close, but I just don't see the benefit to anybody by shipping production off.

We can't afford to just be serviced based.It'll work it's way back.Not everyone can go to college,or wants to.Internet based things don't actually supply anything of value.It has to be made.And as other country's catch up to us,it no longer is advantages to ship stuff from there to here .
lrn2spacebar

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I asked to shut it down. I've just decided to ride my Intense SS and be the whore that I am known to be for a certain company. I didn't want to start flaming out like I did a few years ago with a similar thread about Santa Cruz that ended with me in an altercation with one of their reps. I am on good enough terms with the company that I am "y u mad bro" about right now that I don't want to burn the bridges.

Mind you I might change my mind if it makes it to August and I am sans frame, but I'll jump that canyon when I get there.
Didn't even make it to June...LOLZ @:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/yeti-303wc-delivery-date-betting-pool-250350/

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What will they think when the next shift is from China to India?
I'm hoping that enough companies see the good in US-based production, and don't choose to re-tool and make that move, and I can get vise-grips built in Nebraska again (that pinch vertically without 3mm of side to side play). There will always be bottom dollar goods, but I want the option to buy something for a few more dollars that won't break in a week, like my shovel, rake, and wheelbarrow. My father's tools are all still going strong somehow.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA

America is shooting itself in the foot.

My next trailbike is probably going to be one manufactured in the UK per a total lack of choice in that category from anything here in the US. My last one being made in Eastern Canada for the same reason.

I think that Ventana and Intense make great bikes BTW... Just no variety or choice if adding the "US Made" into the purchase decision.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
America is shooting itself in the foot.

My next trailbike is probably going to be one manufactured in the UK per a total lack of choice in that category from anything here in the US. My last one being made in Eastern Canada for the same reason.

I think that Ventana and Intense make great bikes BTW... Just no variety or choice if adding the "US Made" into the purchase decision.
Just curious, what exactly are you looking for in a trail bike that a Tracer (or Carbine) doesn't offer?

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Just avoiding getting "caught up in things" bike wise. Looking to do something different. Switch things up and actually feel good about the bike that I'm riding. In the mfr. practices and in who I choose to support. Am I going to do it "just because it's made here?" No. I have have to want/like what I'll be riding.
That, and...maybe go with those Hadley Hubs that I've jonsed over for so long........ Hey look... It's getting tougher and tougher to make these decisions in every day life. At the local big box that I'm forced to sometimes visit, (I try to support my local hardware store) etc.
And this time around? When it's my BIKE that I'm talking about? Sure. Spending the extra dough makes sense to me. Def. not trying to come off as some sort of hero.
It's just a choice. Plain and simple.