Quantcast

Why would "vegetarians" even eat at McDonalds?!?!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Man, what a bunch of crybabies. I don't know many people that eat meat and visit McDonalds, not to mention vegetarians. That is like a Hindu going to Black Angus and bitching about the menu.

Hello!?!
______

Vegetarians Challenge McDonald's Payout
Fri Jan 10,11:38 AM ET Add Business - AP to My Yahoo!

By RICHARD GIBSON, Dow Jones Newswires

DES MOINES, Iowa - Some vegetarians, including the lead lawyer in the matter, are challenging how McDonald's Corp. will distribute $10 million to settle the mislabeling case involving beef-flavored french fries.

An Illinois Circuit Court judge in Chicago is to hear arguments next Monday on who should receive the money and why.

The Seattle attorney who brought the original lawsuit against the fast-food giant, Harish Bharti, said he will object to the company's list of proposed recipients in part because the selection process had been "rigged," favoring those who either don't represent the majority of vegetarians or who are sympathetic to McDonald's.

"I am deeply concerned that the funds not be allocated to a relatively small number of interest groups determined by ... lawyers with personal preferences or prejudices unrelated to the actual needs and concerns of the class members," Bharti said in a brief.

Bharti wants the court to appoint an impartial third party to draw up a new recipients' list.

Objections to the settlement distribution also have been filed by the operator of a Web site for vegetarians, VegSource.com. Jeffrey A. Nelson contends some would-be recipients are "in fact anti-vegetarian."

Some, Nelson said, had publicly opposed bringing a class-action lawsuit against McDonald's for representing its fries and hash browns as being vegetarian when they were, in fact, cooked in beef-flavored oils.

To settle the matter, McDonald's, based in Oak Brook, Ill., issued an apology and agreed to pay $10 million — 60 percent to vegetarian groups, 20 percent to Hindu and/or Sikh organizations, 10 percent to children's nutrition and hunger relief efforts and 10 percent to those promoting the understanding of Kosher foods and dietary practices.

Besides various vegetarian groups, three universities — Tufts, Loma Linda in California and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill — would divide $1.3 million, according to the list before the court.

Responding to complaints over the choice of recipients, McDonald's filed a brief saying that some complaints are "substantive but many ... fall into the category of petty gripes or sour grapes over not receiving funds ... When distributing a large sum of money, it is impossible to please every potential grant recipient or interested party," the company said.

Of Nelson's complaint, McDonald's said in the brief that it "reflects intramural squabbling within the vegetarian community about tactics for achieving vegetarian aims."

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
they arent bitching about the menu, they are bitching about the fact that it was never disclosed that mcdonalds french fries were cooked with meat products and at one point fries were included in ads directed towards vegetarians which is a lie and false advertising.

-LAURA\

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Yeah but even I have known for years they used beef to flavor their fries, that is why people dig them so much. It isn't like it was a huge secret, just because they didn't advertise it.

I think people just saw an opportunity to get paid and are mad when some cash didn't roll their way.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i've known forever too. i dont agree with lawsuits. i think they make everyone afraid to a certain extent of everyone else. most lawsuits are stupid, as is this one,but this one is still valid.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Yeah, but it isn't like they were being fed some wierd chemical, or something that could hurt someone. They chose to eat there, they should have done the research to find out what they were eating if they were that concerned. Ignorance is no excuse.

I know that anchovy paste is used in the dressing for a ceaser salad, but rarely if ever is that fact advertised on a menu. Does that mean people are going to start suing them too?

Eating alot of soy can lead to a higher risk of thyroid disease, but nobody seems to care that Taco Bell uses it as an additive in their ground beef. I have never once seen them advertise that they use TVP.

Being uninformed is nobodies fault but the individual. It is just sad that people seem to have stopped taking responsibility for their own actions.

One of the parties that is receiving part of the settlement is a UNC-Chapel Hill nutrition researcher. Dr. Steve Zeisel wants to use the money to study whether women on strict vegetarian diets get enough of the nutrient choline, most abundant in eggs, during pregnancy.

"The money is supposed to be earmarked for vegetarian groups. He doesn't represent a vegetarian group. If anything, he recommends that pregnant women not be vegetarian," said Hannah Schein, a PETA research associate who has written the judge.
PETA sounds like they are more worried that negative facts will emerge about a vegetarian diet, than the health of pregnant women.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
These Vegetarian, PETA, Vegan types will really do anything to get mentioned in the media it seems. I wish no one paid them any attention.

If anyone remembers my "FOR THE VEGANS" thread back in the lounge that caused such a stir, here is a link to the follow up, where the author recieved a letter from PETA and wrote a response back.

PETA resonds

rbx

Monkey
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Yeah but even I have known for years they used beef to flavor their fries, that is why people dig them so much. It isn't like it was a huge secret, just because they didn't advertise it.

I think people just saw an opportunity to get paid and are mad when some cash didn't roll their way.
they use beef to flavor their fries?? i did not know that:eek: :dead:

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by rbx
they use beef to flavor their fries?? i did not know that:eek: :dead:
When they process them they add a beef flavoring. It isn't even like tallow or anything just an extract or a broth.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
i never knew that either, but if they were advertised as a vegan product and they include an animal product in it, then damn strait you sue for false advertising. but yes, people just want to get paid.......

i think the obese family that sued b/c they didnt know they would get fat from eating McDonalds 3 times a day were some stupid ****s and dont deserve whatever money they got:rolleyes:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
there was a suit/complaint a few years ago when a Hindu was upset that his now-cow hamburger was actually cow beef. I mean, wtf? He won't eat it, but it's ok to him that McD's serves up his reincarnated, then ground up, deceased family member?!?!?!

This latest suit is just as fvcking stupid as the fat people suing the fast food industry.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Originally posted by BurlySurly
These Vegetarian, PETA, Vegan types will really do anything to get mentioned in the media it seems. I wish no one paid them any attention.

If anyone remembers my "FOR THE VEGANS" thread back in the lounge that caused such a stir, here is a link to the follow up, where the author recieved a letter from PETA and wrote a response back.

PETA resonds
man! that guys hate mail page is hilarious! he's a genius. this was in response to someone condemning his suicide page:

"I mean, seriously, if you're that much of a brain dead dolt that you're going to be coaxed into taking your life because of some stupid **** someone writes on his personal page, then it would have only been a matter of time before your dumbass did something stupid like wandering out into traffic or falling out of your chair, hitting your head on the edge of your desk and bleeding to death. Anyone that stupid probably shouldn't be living. "

ROTFLMAO