Quantcast

Why would you build a wheel like this...... I dont get it??

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So in the shop, we got some new gnar-gnar-tits-to-the-max Dura Ace Road wheels.

The Drive side is radially laced, and the non-drive side is 3X. I don't get it.......?

Isn't straight laced supposed to be less strong, especially on the drive side?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
BigMike said:
and also......... what is the point of tubless road rims? Isn't that what sew-ups are for? I can't imagine many people make tubless road tires......
since when do they even make tubeless road rims?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BigMike said:
So in the shop, we got some new gnar-gnar-tits-to-the-max Dura Ace Road wheels.

The Drive side is radially laced, and the non-drive side is 3X. I don't get it.......?

Isn't straight laced supposed to be less strong, especially on the drive side?
That is the gheyest wheel ever.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think the idea is to put the shorter stiffe spokes on the drive side which deals with more force because of the wheel dish.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jdcamb said:
Come on?? Gheyest?
Have you tested them yet or just dismissed them?
You wouldn't catch me on any road bike with a radially laced pattern on a rear wheel. Front wheel, maybe - if I have a gun to my head.

Actually, scratch all that.

3X 4-3var ... LOL!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
I think the idea is to put the shorter stiffe spokes on the drive side which deals with more force because of the wheel dish.
But radial lacing has pretty much zero resistance to torque, no matter how high the tension is.

If you a 60 lb weakling, no biggie. If you are an average fat ass or a racer guy, biggie.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I had this burly tri chick come into the shop and wanted me to help her build here dream ride. She speced it out for me to build based on her research on the web.

I kind of brought her into the shop loop and showed her how we do things. We tried to influence her decisions based on our "science" and "skill" but she resisted to our surprise. She had clearly decided what she wanted and just wanted us to facilitate he dream ride based on her decisions. So we did just that.

She speced those wheels and well to our surprise they feel pretty nice. Not my cup of tea... But for the the right rider they will probably be a good all purpose wheelset.

I don't like proprietary wheelsets....

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
jdcamb said:

I'm totally with you there!

Thats the odd thing about these wheels, you don't true them at the rim, you true them at the hub...... after a quick look we decided that if you strip out the nipple in the rim, you are a goner. As far as we can tell, there is no way to replace it....... unless it screws out or somthing :confused:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
TheMontashu said:
ksyriums or what ever they are are like that
The number 1 wheel for in-race blow ups when I worked at a shop a couple years ago.

Many customers came in with those wheels after they pretty much exploded during a race.

:dead:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jdcamb said:
:stupid:

Wheel design was at it's peak decades ago.

Materials? Now there is a place to improve where you can. But radial-drive-side-true-at-the-hub-o-matic wheels are teh ghey.

J

JRB

There is a reason I like classic road rims. I don't even like deep Vs.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
H8R said:
The number 1 wheel for in-race blow ups when I worked at a shop a couple years ago.

Many customers came in with those wheels after they pretty much exploded during a race.

:dead:

Thats nice of Shimano to put out a $1000 wheelset for people to explode at races :rolleyes:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
BigMike said:
I'm totally with you there!

Thats the odd thing about these wheels, you don't true them at the rim, you true them at the hub...... after a quick look we decided that if you strip out the nipple in the rim, you are a goner. As far as we can tell, there is no way to replace it....... unless it screws out or somthing :confused:
I get to just come in and work on whatever I like lately. The owner of my shop is pretty cool and glad when I just show up. Even though I sold those wheels.... If they come up in the service que I will prolly grab the next hardest job. :nopity:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
H8R said:
But radial lacing has pretty much zero resistance to torque, no matter how high the tension is.

If you a 60 lb weakling, no biggie. If you are an average fat ass or a racer guy, biggie.
Rim brake wheels on my XC bikes have one side radial (actually 1X so as not to void chris king warrantee). Short of one flat spoted rim the wheel has been bomb proof for the last 4 years even using revolution spokes. I just makes sure the wheel is built properly in the first place, I like really high spoke tension. I am a little on the light side but I like to think I can throw down a bit of power.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
Rim brake wheels on my XC bikes have one side radial (actually 1X so as not to void chris king warrantee). Short of one flat spoted rim the wheel has been bomb proof for the last 4 years even using revolution spokes. I just makes sure the wheel is built properly in the first place, I like really high spoke tension. I am a little on the light side but I like to think I can throw down a bit of power.
That's ghey. You should be burned at the stake.

:weee:

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I have Easton (Velomax) Orion II wheels and the rear is laced cross on the drive side and radially on the non-drive. They're wicked stiff. I can't see why you'd do it the opposite way.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jdcamb said:
You are all over the "ghey" thing tonight.
Everyone and everything is ghey, it's true.

Except for me and my bike.

:trophy_br

Bikefitter

Chimp
Apr 14, 2005
It's a concept popularized by Rolf Deitricht called torque transfer. if the non drive spokes are shorter (in Rolf's case a higher non-drive flange) that side of the hub bears the brunt of the drive torque even thought it's on the non-drive side. This is true of the Shimano design as well. In a modern 9-10 sp rear wheel the drive side has such a shallow dish that it's role is almost entirely focused on keeping the wheel round, while running high enough tension to resist the non drive side from popping over the midline of the wheel. Those wheels kick butt!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Bikefitter said:
It's a concept popularized by Rolf Deitricht called torque transfer. if the non drive spokes are shorter (in Rolf's case a higher non-drive flange) that side of the hub bears the brunt of the drive torque even thought it's on the non-drive side. This is true of the Shimano design as well. In a modern 9-10 sp rear wheel the drive side has such a shallow dish that it's role is almost entirely focused on keeping the wheel round, while running high enough tension to resist the non drive side from popping over the midline of the wheel. Those wheels kick butt!
Ok, so it works, but in the case of Rolf, it saved no weight, and made trueing wheels and replacing spokes a pain in the ass.

Gimme a 3x laced wheel any old day.

:retrogrouch: