Quantcast

Why would you think it was ok to steal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What self respecting commuter rides an EEEE bike to work?

I choose to give toshi shlt for that fact, not that he plugs it in at work.

Pedal you pussy.

I also can't believe that something so mundane as this pisses off dirtmcskwork so much :rofl: I'm going to go steal some oxygen from the pine trees around here.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Are you from the south dirt? This is the kinda retarded short-sighted sh*t I hear out of people down there that makes Republicans everywhere look retarded.

You're a lawyer. Your existence alone offers a high probability that you have taken more from society than a few cents worth of electricity. If you're a defense lawyer, you're even lower. You probably have put a guilty dangerous criminal back on the streets or back in a position to commit another white collar crime.

You and you're f'ing $0.50 electricity and wireless....gimme a break. This has got to be a joke.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Are you from the south dirt? This is the kinda retarded short-sighted sh*t I hear out of people down there that makes Republicans everywhere look retarded.

You're a lawyer. Your existence alone offers a high probability that you have taken more from society than a few cents worth of electricity. If you're a defense lawyer, you're even lower. You probably have put a guilty dangerous criminal back on the streets or back in a position to commit another white collar crime.

You and you're f'ing $0.50 electricity and wireless....gimme a break. This has got to be a joke.
Do you know me? Then go **** yourself.

Never did criminal law.
Never did defense work.

I'm the asshole who dip****s like you come to when the local trails get shut down, and I find a legal way to get your trails back. Or when your daddy's pension gets absorbed by his company, you come find me.

So go stick your head back in the unlit oven and do me a favor.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So by this logic if I don't lock my car and leave it on the street its fair game?

I assure you that if he went to the people from whom he is "borrowing" bandwidth that they might be cool about it. However, if he in the same tone he uses here, said "yea, and I've been doing it for the last six months, and if you block it I can still get in" I think they'd have a very different, and very adverse, reaction.
No, it's like saying that if I walk into your house (or a public area) and leave something there without your consent or prior arrangement, you're free to use it. The analogy doesn't quite hold with physical objects, since the services in question are continuously replenishable.

If you're giving it away, don't be angry when people take it.

Last edited:
How is asking people to pay for which they consume being a dick?
I missed that day of classes on dick-ism, and I thought I had been to most.
Suggestion:

Quit trying to be policeman to the world (I stole that concept from Lou Tice, for the record). You're just going to eat yourself up with your own anger and piss everyone off while you're at it. Building alliances is more useful in the long term than starting wars.

I deleted this post because it was a personal attack, then restored it because you seem to be receiving some useful feedback.

I think that stealing wireless access is wrong, and still occasionally do it. It's impossible/impractical to be perfect all the time.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think I thought of another analogy. If you find a quarter on the street, or even a $20, though it might not be yours, it's generally neither immoral nor illegal (except perhaps in the strictest, most pedantic sense) to keep it. (Barring, of course, if you saw it fall from someone's pocket, whatever.)

If you find $1000 on the street, you should take it to the police.

So if someone's dropping change everywhere, he should probably fix the hole in his pocket and not blame the guys picking up the dimes.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I think I thought of another analogy. If you find a quarter on the street, or even a $20, though it might not be yours, it's generally neither immoral nor illegal (except perhaps in the strictest, most pedantic sense) to keep it. (Barring, of course, if you saw it fall from someone's pocket, whatever.)

If you find $1000 on the street, you should take it to the police.

So if someone's dropping change everywhere, he should probably fix the hole in his pocket and not blame the guys picking up the dimes.
Unless one of those guys is the one who cut the hole?
Or found a way around his belt, and went in his pants, past his balls, and removed the stitching from his pocket...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hence, why cracking a password or bypassing any indicator that someone exerts ownership or desires privacy is, in my mind, theft.

But even though I feel bashful sneaking into a Starbucks or McD's to take a whiz, although I'm not a customer, I don't lie awake at night guilty over it, nor do I agonize over others' "theft" of water and facilities.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Hence, why cracking a password or bypassing any indicator that someone exerts ownership or desires privacy is, in my mind, theft.

But even though I feel bashful sneaking into a Starbucks or McD's to take a whiz, although I'm not a customer, I don't lie awake at night guilty over it, nor do I agonize over others' "theft" of water and facilities.
Just don't pee on the floor and we'll call it even?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
here's a fun fact about the guy dirtmcgirk decided to get his username from...
In 1993, ODB was convicted of second degree assault for an attempted robbery and in 1994, he was shot in the abdomen following an argument with another rapper.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
This is the Jesus of posts.

It was struck down, and like the prophet it is, it rose from the internet dead.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I don't know you and I don't need to. Anybody I know well who pissed and whined like that would get backhanded. You seem to do a lot of whining on here otherwise and simply not just get the hell over yourself. Perhaps that is how you get by in court.

I call BS too. Every lawyer I've known, which is many, have all been perfectly capable of unscrupulous behavior and has been involved in cases that f'ed someone over who wasn't deserving and set someone else off who should have gotten the shaft. I don't believe there is an exception to this.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'd rather get your honkey ass all in a frenzy again. It's mildly entertaining, especially watching you uncover a new leaf of how much of a total gomer you are with each post.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you were a business owner in Westchester, NY (and some other areas of the country) you'd be in the wrong for offering unsecure wifi, not Toshi. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Dirt is a dirty law breaking open wifi provider for not properly configuring his equipment.

It would be like having a swimming pool on the public sidewalk in front of your house - kids could fall in a drown. You better secure your network before Toshi falls in and drowns on teh Internets.

http://www.westchestergov.com/idtheft/wifilaw.htm

Last edited:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I believe we have reached a new milestone. This is the dumbest thread EVER on Ridemonkey. We have had some doozies in the past too. But this one takes the cake.

So who's stealing: they guy who rides his bike to work, is healthier and has more energy to do a great job, or the fatass whos Hummer takes two spots in the parking lot, so I have to build a bigger lot next to my company building?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
If you use something that is not yours, and its protected, its stealing.

If you jack into a power source that is not yours and that you have not been given specific permission to use for the purposes at hand, then that's stealing too.

I just dislike the entire justification for it.
"I'm poor, but I gots to have my intranetz and my personal transport."

Its a total load of ****, I don't buy it. You're all advocating being a leech, and that's disturbing.

And I'm done.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
simple to secure wireless, use a non-standard SSID, WPA encryption (WPA2 if you got it), turn SSID broadcasting off. Nobody will get in without one hell of a fight.

And when they do, if they do, change the SSID and password and you're golden again.

Most people won't even look if SSID broadcasting is off though. I do network sniffs occassionally when I get bored and usually they're all out in the open.

Just by adding a password you can discourage a ton of people, anyways. There've been tons of times where I wanted to get internet access but didn't bother because there were passwords. Even WEP ones.

Stealing electricity, water, cable, etc, though, is pretty bollocks, though, in my opinion. Internet isn't as bad because most of the internet that gets "stolen" is from unsecured networks anyways.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I find it disturbing how folks try to justify stealing by putting a value on what's being stolen...but then again I pretty much expected it...D

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Its ok, as long as its a minimal amount of value.
Ethics, morals, even simple common decency have gone out the window in the last 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.