Quantcast

Why you don't need suspension for enduro!.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Can that fork handle drops? That fork leg angle makes me cringe .
My guess is a resounding NO.

BITD, before actual mountain bikes like in the early 70's - we had to build what we rode.
Forks like that would last me anywhere from a couple of days to maybe two weeks.
The steerer tube would bend at the bottom race.
The fork blades themselves would bend.
Did not matter material material wise, even with added "reinforcements" like material plugs in the bottom of the steerer, or brazed on gussets...

There is a reason BMX forks are the way they are.

My experience and opinion only, and it is worth just about exactly what you paid for it.

<Edit> There is one place a fork like this excels - ride quality, they are much more compliant and forgiving than a BMX style fork - that is until you get into the chunder, then they tend to wander; their tracking ability is far less than the BMX style.

There was a fork in this style that was killer, if you could get you hands on one. Ashtabula was the shit before the current BMX style.

1604339589380.png

Notice the re-enforcement at the crown.

Last edited:

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I like the way it looks (other than that monstrosity out front), and I'm always in favor of ridiculous hardtails, but I gotta have some squish up front, even if just 100-120mm to save me from stupid mistakes.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Funny how we all feel comfortable riding 5 lbs of pressed together thin wall magnesium and aluminum forks then look at a chunk of steel and get all squeamish, myself included. I thankfully bent but never broke 3 of those style forks back in the days before I went to a BMX style forks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I bent the fork on my first mountain bike, a diamondback switchback or or something. I didn't even know till I took the bike into a shop for service where they informed me I was about to die.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Funny how we all feel comfortable riding 5 lbs of pressed together thin wall magnesium and aluminum forks then look at a chunk of steel and get all squeamish, myself included. I thankfully bent but never broke 3 of those style forks back in the days before I went to a BMX style forks.
I, too, bent the ever-living shit out of a fork like that casing a surprise ditch-jump. That was fun...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, I bent the fork on my first mountain bike, a diamondback switchback or or something. I didn't even know till I took the bike into a shop for service where they informed me I was about to die.
My front brake cable housing ended at a bracket below my stem. So when the fork bent the distance between the brakes and that hanger shrunk loosing all front braking at the same time. Considering the performance of cantilevered rim brakes, not a huge loss but a good indicator of when the fork was about to kill me.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
British PB users love fapping to garage-built HTs. It's another symptom of staring at bikes on the internet for considerably more hours per week than actually riding bikes.

I think of it as an inversion of the Dangerholm-build phenomenon.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
...and just how many hours per week do you ride from out of your ivory tower? @rpet