Quantcast

Why

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I am getting asked "Why?" alot so rather then answering in a dozen threads...

I am finding that it's a bit awkward for people to pronounce the screenname when they meet me in person, or if I say it they do not recognize it because they don't know how it's pronounced. I end up having to describe my avatar before people realize who I am. This way I am using my real name and it describes that I am but one Mike amongst many. MikeD, MMike, MikeB, etc.

The name CIARAN is an old Irish name that I use in my medieval recreation society. It's pronounced either: key-ARE-an, kiay-RAHN, or keeran depanding on where you are. People were saying "see are ian", and "karen", "korean", and others.

I figure this makes it easier when meeting Monkies in person, and people don't think my name is Karen. Maybe I should have taken a poll. :D

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
You know, I had always just assumed that your name was just Ciaran. Then again I hang out with a lot of Irish people and live in Boston so maybe it's not as unusual to me...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Barbaton said:
You know, I had always just assumed that your name was just Ciaran. Then again I hang out with a lot of Irish people and live in Boston so maybe it's not as unusual to me...
People from Boston and Ireland have usually heard of it.

I use the name in the SCA for the most part. My SCA friends and I all use our SCA names, but since getting back into riding and meeting other bikers I am finding that just using my real name is easier.

Ciaran is fancier and funner, but Mike is waaaay easier.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
AnotherMike said:
People from Boston and Ireland have usually heard of it.

I use the name in the SCA for the most part. My SCA friends and I all use our SCA names, but since getting back into riding and meeting other bikers I am finding that just using my real name is easier.

Ciaran is fancier and funner, but Mike is waaaay easier.
I hear that. I've started going by Tim, or Bob or something in coffee shops or sandwich places that take your name with the order. Barbaton is often too hard to spell for them. :p

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
I hear that. I've started going by Tim, or Bob or something in coffee shops or sandwich places that take your name with the order. Barbaton is often too hard to spell for them. :p
:p :nope:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
People i don't know on the trail call me Skookum nowadays, i just roll with it. i don't care what people call me as long as it ain't late for dinner, especially if Taco's are being served.

Anyways your first name sucks, change it back to your cooler one please. :cool:

*if you don't i'll change mine to Tim* how lame would that be?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
johnbryanpeters said:
Next comes the sex change... :D
And then I am racin with the women!!!!

Like it would matter, I am slow as all get out anyway. :D

Dang it! I was tryin to make things easier... now I am going to have to change it again. I feel like Rip/Opeth/Rip/Opeth/Rip....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
binary visions said:
The new name blows.

Bring back Ciaran!
:stupid:

It is weird tho to have people refer to you by your screen name. I went to a large group happy hour (buddy was hosting). I'm hanging out and some dude walks up and goes, "Hey, Lord Opie, how ya been?" I was a bit surprised. Turns out we rode a couple of times two years ago.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
AnotherMike said:
Dang it! I was tryin to make things easier... now I am going to have to change it again. I feel like Rip/Opeth/Rip/Opeth/Rip....
damn, that sucks.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
AnotherMike said:
And then I am racin with the women!!!!

Like it would matter, I am slow as all get out anyway. :D

i'll paypal you fifty bucks if you change it back.

[lie]really i will[/lie]

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
Every third weekend of the month they spend two days going medieval on each other's asses ;)
Pretty much...

We have extra armor and weapons if anyone is interisted. It's very relaxing, beating on your friends.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
So what the hell..... you changed the your RM name because people who meet you in person can't pronounce it?

Where is the stupidest thing ever smiley....

OR did that asshead MMike hack your account and change the name? It would be just like the bastard to do such a thing.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
So now do I:

A) Ask RM to change it back and risk being mocked because I caved to peer pressure

or

B) Keep it and be just another mike in the crowd

???

There is only one MIKE. We are all part of one entity. Resistance is futile. You are a mike therefore you are MIKE. (Enjoy your chocolate cake while making dirty jokes)

J

JRB

AnotherMike said:
So now do I:

A) Ask RM to change it back and risk being mocked because I caved to peer pressure

or

???

There is only one MIKE. We are all part of one entity. Resistance is futile. You are a mike therefore you are MIKE. (Enjoy your chocolate cake while making dirty jokes)
Pvssy.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
AnotherMike said:
So now do I:

or

???

C) Stay away from Renaissance Festivals

:rolleyes: