Quantcast

Whyte JW4

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
And it's built! Spec changed slightly from what I posted: steve had a spare set of wheels with XM321 rims and light hubs for just over 2/3rds of what I was going to pay - same weight, stronger, cheaper!

Also got an X-9 mech because it was only a tenner more, used the I-beam post and saddle, bumped up to a PC99 chain, and threw a lizardskin on the rear shock. I'll cover the front one when I find a matching 'skin. Raceface lock-on grips and the Mallet C pedals complete the kitout, which gives a very respectable weight of around 30.5lbs

My sLBS shop is great, I brought the bits in at around 2pm and it was ready to go for 5 despite very odd cable routing (oh, the words I've learnt ;))and a phone going off every ten bloody minutes!

I think she's beautiful :) and the ride is lovely. Need to mess about with shock pressures, and I've already lost the headset protector somewhere round belvoir, but I'm a happy bunny :D

Close ups. Steve only had one blue shock sock in his bargain bucket - must grab another from somewhere.

Oh, and of course I'm new to SPDs. I love the extra power you can get, although my release mechanism seems to be a bit stiff...

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
Darkreaper said:
gives a very respectable weight of around 30.5lbs
For the price I paid I am very happy - £1200, which I think is about US$2100. Not budget, but not that expensive either and with no consideration to buying light stuff. I weigh 15st myself so no point in shaving a few grams off the bike here and there!

I've already got strange looks riding it, even a few pedestrians have done double-takes.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
The shock boot was in the bargain bin so I just threw it on - the rear derailleur cable and brake hose cross over right above the shock and I didn't want cable rub all over it. I think the bottom bearings in the headset are screwed unless I can rig up some sort of mudguard for it, it is right open at the bottom.

I'll be in north carolina for a fortnight in July - you pay my bike carriage and get to NC, you can try it all you want :thumb:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'd be careful with the shock boots, they have a habit of filling up with crap and killing shocks, at least thats what has happened in my experience. Most shocks will put up with as much dirt and crap as you can throw at them without the need of a boot, the seals are good enough. I'm not sure about what to do with that funky cable routing...could you ziptie them to the tube above the shock?

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
cheap price for the frame for sure. i remember them being alot more expensive when they first came out.

nice bike!