Quantcast

Wi Fi issues

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
I work with wired networks all day. But I have never setup a wi fi. The systems can't see eachother can't ping eachother.. but yet, if you look in the DHCP scope they all have obtained addresses(this is threw the router, not a server). And if I release and renew the address it pulls it back, so I know everything is talking. Hell it even says the signal strenght is excellent.

So all I need now is to get the systems seeing eachother (I can get this done if I run ethernet cables.. but not on the wi fi) and get access to the internet.. and of course all systems are running windows XP :rolleyes: (not my setup it's the bikeshops)

Personally I'd rather not run wireless, but the manager of the shop is insistant on his laptop being wireless... even though it just sits at a desk.

So any help would be much appreciated!

Oh and here's what they are using as hardware for the wi fi... 2WIRE modem/router and a d-link wireless card for the desktop and a 2WIRE card for the laptop. I have also tried running a d-link router off of the 2WIRE modem/router to see if it was hardware compatability issues, but couldn't get that working either. (I'm pretty sure it's just something I'm not familar with so that's why it's not working)

Thanks in advance! :)

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Just to let anyone know it seems to be issues with XP home version. Guess it's not the most network friendly setup. 2000 and XP pro (since xp pro is built off of 2000) work just fine with the wireless.

Also found that I'm an idiot and stuck the d-ling router on when the 2wire modem was working as a router too. Changed it to a switch and it works fine with 2000 and xp pro. DUH I should have known... I new it was a router, just the brain wasn't working. UGGGGG.

still no wireless working with xp home.

That's just some info for you guys is all.