Quantcast

wide bars and injury rates

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
has anybody else noticed wide bars seem to be riskier in the event of a fall?
last year, most of my buddies switched to 760+mm bars... and it seems now, every fall, even the not-spectacular ones, end up with nasty bruises from bar ends...

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I hate to say this as I'm probably going to jinx myself...

I can honestly say I have no memory of ever having an close encounter with the ends of my bars. I ride a single crown though so that may make a difference.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Ive been using 760mm bars for the last 3 years. Didnt catch the bar end once and I tend to crash a bit more than most of my friends.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I f*cked up a jump at the weekend and took a handlebar end to the groin, about half an inch away from my shaft. Needless to say, I was a bit shaken up for the rest of the day, but I don't think my 760mm wide bars made it more likely to happen.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What about hitting trees with little fingers on wider h-bar?
That doesnt happen. We talked about it and everybody here bugged me that it will happen when I was one of the first around with a wider bar. I actually clip less trees due to more control. Most of the ppl you know kinda feel the same so why do you worry so much? It is not like you ride trails that are bar wide.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I didn't said I was worry... I just asked...
My Havoc CF will finally reach Poland this week... 5 months delay :|

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I never really accidentally clipped trees due to wide bars. If ever I clipped a tree it would a crash already in progress. Strangely I've never hurt my fingers while holding bars.