Quantcast

wide handlebars

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
with the advent of gravel bikes, it seems like there's more wider handlebar options. my current bars are either 44 or 46cm and still feel narrow. they were the widest I could find at the time I purchased them. a quick google turns up that PNW has a 52cm bar. is there anything wider that's not a super goofy shape/bend?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I run the PNW 520 bar, I like it.

I also have a custom Ti. one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just one little tip, make sure you get extra long bar tape, a lot of existing inventory out there is simply not long enough. That’s all I got.
i hate bar tape. i can do it, i just hate it. all these other great technical innovations, still taping drop bars.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
is this for a road bike?

It's funny, the more I ride road, the more I want narrower bars. When I first started, I was on 44s, I think...now I'm on 42s. If I could do it again, I'd probably pick 40s with decent flare (like ENVE aero bars) or just 42s with less flare. I went by the "shoulder width" rule of thumb to choose, and now I go by "I don't need all this width".

Surly makes some great ape hangers, (https://www.treefortbikes.com/Surly-Truck-Stop-Drop-Handlebar?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp3332224358079624&sc_intid=3332224358079624&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3f6HBhDHARIsAD_i3D-J_azl49tTYtzI5oV1BBmMAarHaUflDI-okwoCCmWLq7cWQ40zYpkaAlJMEALw_wcB) 48cm... and salsa does as well (cowchipper in 38-52).

I'll be honest, I don't know that it will make much of a difference as IMO it's the hand position (being vertical, not horizontal) rather than the hand width...but hopefully you can find something that makes you comfortable.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
is this for a road bike?

It's funny, the more I ride road, the more I want narrower bars. When I first started, I was on 44s, I think...now I'm on 42s. If I could do it again, I'd probably pick 40s with decent flare (like ENVE aero bars) or just 42s with less flare. I went by the "shoulder width" rule of thumb to choose, and now I go by "I don't need all this width".

Surly makes some great ape hangers, (https://www.treefortbikes.com/Surly-Truck-Stop-Drop-Handlebar?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp3332224358079624&sc_intid=3332224358079624&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3f6HBhDHARIsAD_i3D-J_azl49tTYtzI5oV1BBmMAarHaUflDI-okwoCCmWLq7cWQ40zYpkaAlJMEALw_wcB) 48cm... and salsa does as well (cowchipper in 38-52).

I'll be honest, I don't know that it will make much of a difference as IMO it's the hand position (being vertical, not horizontal) rather than the hand width...but hopefully you can find something that makes you comfortable.
this is the road forum, no?

i have fairly wide shoulders. 44s have *always* felt narrow to me. my arms kick in on the 44s.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
this is the road forum, no?

i have fairly wide shoulders. 44s have *always* felt narrow to me. my arms kick in on the 44s.
it's also the cyclocross forum. wasn't sure if it was going on a gravel bike or something else. I wear a 44 suit but measured 42 from socket to socket.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it's also the cyclocross forum. wasn't sure if it was going on a gravel bike or something else. I wear a 44 suit but measured 42 from socket to socket.
i think its technically a cross frame, but i use it more all around (paved & non paved surfaces). my shoulders are a bit on the wider sidem i'll try to get them properly measured.

in the meantime, do you think it might be worth try rolling my bars / brake hoods up some? it would cost $0 to try, which I like.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i think its technically a cross frame, but i use it more all around (paved & non paved surfaces). my shoulders are a bit on the wider sidem i'll try to get them properly measured.

in the meantime, do you think it might be worth try rolling my bars / brake hoods up some? it would cost $0 to try, which I like.
it's worth a shot, why not? You could also try flipping or raising your stem, or flaring the hoods out further.

I have what I believe is a racy position on the neon bandito. I typically sit on the hoods but am comfortable in the drops. As my flexibility improves, I get more comfortable in the drop position. I wonder if you could raise the bars and ride in the drops all the time, and if that would improve comfort. Most bars have some amount of flare and that can be a more ergonomic position for your elbows n shit.

This is the process I used to measure my shoulders: https://analogcycles.com/how-wide-doth-your-drop-bars-need-be/ I got 42 from bony protrusion to...bony protrusion. The school of thought is 1:1 on measurement width to bars, but this is america so grip it and rip it.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I've a set of the Ritchey 52cm bars on my garvelroadcross bike. So, so much nicer than the 46cm widest ones from the past.