Quantcast

wierd word of the day...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Today's word is Manhole

Example: Id hate to go into a manhole, there's probably poop down there and Im sure it would stink.

WTF were they thinking when they came up with that? I mean "Manhole"... how gross!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jacksonpt said:
Yep - a round lid is the only shape that can't be turned "diagonally" to fit though through it's hole.
Well an equalateral triangle shaped manhole cover would not drop all the way through, but it could be jammed in such a way that it would still stay mainly above the hole but not properly cover the hole.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, Im sure what you just said was real interesting...
It was... simple yet eloquent. A classic comeback that much like a simple black suit never goes out of style. :p

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
jacksonpt said:
Yep - a round lid is the only shape that can't be turned "diagonally" to fit though through it's hole.
I still don't get this; never have.

A circle would fall through its own hole, save for the lip that seats the cover in place, right? Why doesn't this work for a square, too? The lip would prevent a square cover-since the outer measurement of the cover is larger than the inner measurement of the square-from falling through, even if it was turned diagonally. Its diagonal measurement is longer than any of the sides...

MD

MikeD said:

A circle would fall through its own hole, save for the lip that seats the cover in place, right? Why doesn't this work for a square, too? The lip would prevent a square cover-since the outer measurement of the cover is larger than the inner measurement of the square-from falling through, even if it was turned diagonally. Its diagonal measurement is longer than any of the sides...

MD
You don't do too well with those three dimensional mental rotations, do you? Make one up from cardboard, you'll figure it out.

J

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MikeD said:

MD
The lip on a square manhole cover would have to be about 20.5% of the width of the cover. The circular manhole cover only has to have what could be described as an infinitesimally small lip, depending on the manufacturing accuracies of the cover of course. :sneaky:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think BS in on the dope. The only time people start thinking about how weird words sound is when they are smoking the weed.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
I think BS in on the dope. The only time people start thinking about how weird words sound is when they are smoking the weed.
huh..hu..huh..uh... manhole...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i was thinking of starting a string of franchises nationwide, which are gay clubs. they would be named Cockpit and Manhole, w/ the appropriate decor.

can you hear the millions rolling in? who's got some $ to get this going?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
There is this steakhouse close by my place that sounds like it would be a gay club. It's not but it sounds like it would be. It's called "The Tenderloin".