Quantcast

Wife may have broken her pinky toe - Any thoughts?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
She doesn't want to go to an Urgent Care or E.R. Anyone on here have medical experience with it?

The HTFU internet says to just tape it to the next toe and that nothing can be done. But the internet also likes Bieber and JWow.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well you really do want to get it checked out, it can actually become a serious problem in the long run. I mean nerve damage is a bitch even just in the pinky toe. My brother actually thought the same thing at one point and time, four days later it required surgery.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What DM said. I've got a toe that doesn't bend worth **** after I broke it and it healed incorrectly.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I broke a toe (crushed between pedal and rock), and was told to SIU,P because there was nothing that could be done for a broken toe. So, I did nothing. Now it's oddly shaped and doesn't move, but then again, it's a fvcking toe.

TL;DR: SIU,P

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Did she kick an illegal?

Yes, if it's broken or dislocated, the answer is tape, and stay off it. But, as others have noted, I'd have it checked out, if for no other reason than to verify nothing else is going on. Pay your copay, lose an hour or two of your day, and consider it an investment in a pain free, healthy future.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
If you have insurance and a reasonable co-pay then by all means have it looked at. However, there is probably not much that can be done other than taping it and wearing a cast boot to take the pressure off when walking. I've broken at least five toes and mine are all fine now.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Mine healed all Katywompus. Sometimes when I put socks on it gets stuck and bends to the side. I don't notice it until the skin between the toes separates and splits and starts bleeding. I just tape it to the other toe until the skin heals up. When I go swimming people notice it and cringe. It looks painful, but it is not.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A friend of mine had a wire inserted in his big toe and when attempting to get out of a car it caught on the dash and pulled out a bit, he tapped it back in with a hammer and all was well, your wife will be fine.

I am kidding, she may be fine but there's a chance she won't so you want to get it sorted quick as getting arthritis in the pinky would suck nuts.

I have decided that if a collarbone goes again I won't bother getting an X-Ray, there's no point.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
THe moneky is good for something. I read you guys comments and it persuaded her to go to the walk in clinic at the Sports Med. place I'm having physical therapy at.

Not broken, black and blue and nasty swollen. But she found out that apparently in her past she had broken the first two to the point that there are now two most likely fused bones at the tip, which is why the sprain she has is so painful.

Walking boot and buddy taped. Ironically, she admitted that she is happy to know exactly what it is. Doc made her feel better b/c he's an avid runner too and said she'll get back quicker this way. She LOVES to run.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
having broken all my toes, and had them looked at by doctors. their advice:

SIUP.

i've broken the big toe on my left foot so many times that the joint between the proximales and mediae phalange have fused together.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Took a slapshot off the toe from a big Russian guy a few games ago. Hurts like hell, but not much I can do about it except wait for the nail to peel off this summer...

unless that bone is sticking out of skin. and there isn't horrible dislocation (meaning that the pinky is pointing off in some random direction), just splint the toe by taping it to the adjacent toe. throw a boot on it (if you want) and call it a day.

*disclaimer* this should not be construed as official medical advice or meant to be as such. please consult your physician if you have any concerns.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Mine healed all Katywompus. Sometimes when I put socks on it gets stuck and bends to the side. I don't notice it until the skin between the toes separates and splits and starts bleeding. I just tape it to the other toe until the skin heals up. When I go swimming people notice it and cringe. It looks painful, but it is not.
I'm quoting this to acknowledge the use of katywompus, although I'd have gone with the more traditional 'katywAmpus'.

Carry on.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I'm gobsmacked that the suggestion hasn't been made that she just needs to rub it on her ear.