Quantcast

Wife's dad died....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
On the 20th. Don't know how to take it. On one hand, he's wife's dad/kids' granddad. On the other, he's a sad old jerk. Last time he was in our house, he basically called me a "zero" while I was holding Alaina (gives you an idea how long that's been). Wife was talking to her sis this morn, and sis says that his wife/their stepmom asked if he wanted her to call daughters. On 2 different occasions even while he was sick, and both times he replied "no". The second time he added that the girls will hear about him from his lawyer.

Hey, I just need to vent a bit. Most of you know about my post when wife's ex/kids' dad passed, and now to have this. I support wife/kids, and we'll see about the service at the Elk's Club in January. As for my feelings, well, his loss for not wanting to be a part of his grandkids' lives a bit more.

Like I said, I just need to vent here, as I told wife I won't say anything at work. So thanks for reading..............

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That's a bummer man. He made his choices, it's his loss. I know that doesn't make it any easier, I've made no secret of my lack of relationship with my own folks so I know it's not easy, but really, if thats the sort of vindictive, childish assholes they want to be, eff 'em. I have better things to do with my time.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Its snowing in the mountains. Go ride/walk/do something else. He was a jag-off from what you're saying, but you might have to swallow your pride a little here and go to the service. Its the best of the bad situation.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
AMS, step ahead of you, however, it'll involve walking my dogs instead, as I'm a sally when it comes to riding in the snow (unless I get one of those new fat-bike thingies).

P, you're right about better things to do. However, "it" was my wife's dad/kids' grandpa, and I'll support them as they see fit.

DMG, see my reply to P. If they want me to go, I plan to. It'll be priceless to see the look on his widow's face should I show up.

All that being said, does anyone know how to put chains on car tires?????

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Wait... you work in Tahoe, right? How is that possible? I thought even hot chicks in Tahoe could put on tire chains.

To your original question, do whatever you won't be sorry for later. The only way you lose is if you do something that bites you in the a$$.

Oh, there are lots of videos on youtube on how to install tire chains.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
AMS, step ahead of you, however, it'll involve walking my dogs instead, as I'm a sally when it comes to riding in the snow (unless I get one of those new fat-bike thingies).

P, you're right about better things to do. However, "it" was my wife's dad/kids' grandpa, and I'll support them as they see fit.

DMG, see my reply to P. If they want me to go, I plan to. It'll be priceless to see the look on his widow's face should I show up.

I don't mean to imply you shouldn't support the wife and kids. Do what ever you need to do in their time of need. All I'm saying is do your best not to lose any sleep over what the old man thought or did. His actions were beyond your control, but now he's gone, and so are whatever trouble he might have stirred up, it's time for healing and moving on.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
BS, why yes, I do live in Tahoe. This is/was my weak attempt at humor, considering the recent not-so-much loss. In fact, I've had to put them on yesterday and today. Had wife's help yesterday, and by myself today. Doesn't matter which I do, as the result is the same-- we get home safely.

P, I completely agree with you. If wife/stepkids want me to attend (that is, if they do to begin with), then I will to support them. If they'd rather I don't, I have no problem staying home alone at that time and watch re-runs of the early 90's mtb championships on youtube. No, I haven't lost any sleep, unless you consider the thoughts of his loss for not seeing his grandkids grow into the fine, though sometimes challenging, adults they are.

Oh well, not to toot any horns, however, mmmyyyyyy parents will nnneeeevvvveeeeerrrr treat the kids this way. Boy, if that doesn't sound like an ego trip.........

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Dad is not welcome at my brothers house. His wife is from Louisiana and has a big seafood spread. I wish to attend all the festivus activities, I have failed by being selfish....