Quantcast

Wifey is going to kill me: rd. infinite

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just bought a new bike. For some reason, I've been losing my mojo to ride DH regularly and instead wanting to climb up hills. Don't ask me why this is, as I have no idea. But I might just be getting old and acquiring a new sense of self preservation.

Either way, I have been wanting to do more climbing which is why I am putting my 575 on a diet and setting it up for more trail focused riding. I have been looking at getting a hardtail for a while, but I didn't want to pony up over $2k for any of the bikes on my short list. The bikes I had been looking at were all well over $2k, even used.

I was looking at used demo fleet bikes yesterday, but even then most were more than I was willing to pay. Go-ride decided to change my mind today. They dropped the pricing on their demo fleet by 25% this morning, bringing the price well into my range. I just picked up a 2011 Yeti Big Top 29'er from them.

So yeah, my new turn towards xc is veering hard to that direction quickly. Hopefully I can get a slot in the raffle for Leadville, and if I can kill myself in some local XC races.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I went through the same thing a couple years ago at age 23ish. I hope to God the desire to switch from DH to XC isn't a sign of getting old.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
To be fair he is almost 7 feet tall...
This. I am an ogre on my XL Yeti, as you can see in the below picture.

I need something that fits me better. Plus, I'm looking for something that's lighter and can be used for the smoother XC riding.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I saw that sale. If I was still living back east that Big Top SS would have been mine.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I went through the same thing a couple years ago at age 23ish. I hope to God the desire to switch from DH to XC isn't a sign of getting old.
I haven't ridden DH in over a year. Part of that is because where I live now it's a bit more hassle (no lifts, no friends, too lazy). XC is more convenient, less expensive and, in the end, just as fun for me. Most of my riding is on a 4" travel hardtail now.

Really, I can't understand why some people only have DH bikes.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Back before I knew any better (read: high school) all I had was one bike, and it was always a big, heavy long travel FR/DH bike. I rode everything on it, and didn't realize how much it sucked because I didn't know anything else at that time. Now that I have the luxury of having 3 dedicated bikes for different kinds of riding, I can't believe some of the crap I used to do on a beast of a bike. Ironically I think it made me a bette....erm....stronger rider in the end, in a masochistic kind of way.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Welcome to the 29er world... enjoy your stay. For people 6ft+, big wheels just feel right. Ive drooled over the BigTop since it came out. If your terrain suits it you should try it out as a SS a few times, I know it has some kind of cool interchangable dropouts that make it possible. SS bikes are so damn light... there's nothing like throwing around a 20lb mountain bike.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Back before I knew any better (read: high school) all I had was one bike, and it was always a big, heavy long travel FR/DH bike. I rode everything on it, and didn't realize how much it sucked because I didn't know anything else at that time. Now that I have the luxury of having 3 dedicated bikes for different kinds of riding, I can't believe some of the crap I used to do on a beast of a bike. Ironically I think it made me a bette....erm....stronger rider in the end, in a masochistic kind of way.
Totally agree with you! I was in that same boat for years! Now I have 4 different, dedicated bikes.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Welcome to the 29er world... enjoy your stay. For people 6ft+, big wheels just feel right. Ive drooled over the BigTop since it came out. If your terrain suits it you should try it out as a SS a few times, I know it has some kind of cool interchangable dropouts that make it possible. SS bikes are so damn light... there's nothing like throwing around a 20lb mountain bike.
Front Range is not a place for SS unless you are a 140# sadist.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Front Range is not a place for SS unless you are a 140# sadist.
Mmm, totally agree. Couldn't picture myself going up Hall Ranch SS'ing my ass up there. Some guys do it, but the level of fitness needed is intense.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Back when I was in high school, there was no such thing as a long travel FR/DH bike. :D My "one bike" was a BMX.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
I looked at that bike myself. It was a great deal, even if it is a 29er. :D I think you will enjoy. Now go do some regular XC races so you will be in shape for the next Enduro.